Games you hate that everyone else seems to love.

• You know the games I'm talking about. The critical darlings, the ones that are in everyone's library of games. The games that seemingly define video games except there is one problem: You just do not like them.

Take this opportunity to confess your dislike and let others know why that thing isn't as good as everyone says it is ;)

We're a civil bunch so I'm sure this won't devolve into a shouting match but remain as intended, a discussion around personal preference and taste when it comes to games.

For me it has to be Alan Wake. Like many people I bought into the hype in the run up to release. I was excited to see its more mature style of storytelling and the illusions to Twin Peaks and Stephen King had me interested. The reviews came out and everyone seemed to really like it, saying it was a tour de force of storytelling in games. So I played it...

For me Alan Wake is one of the worst games I have ever played. The story is pants, the characters are bland, the v/o is hackneyed and the gameplay is just well.....really boring. I forced myself to finish the game thinking some big twist or reveal would change my mind but nope. This game is overrated trash.

It also doesn't help that while you make your way through the game you can see the echoes of the more open ended design Remedy had originally intended once upon a time.

It is a game that had the best of intentions but for me it just falls so far short.

It has flying tractor tyres as one of its major enemy types.

As you pick up the collectable bits of Alan Wake's book it is clear that he is a terrible writer.

It has this garbage fire of scene in the middle of it:

Seriously what were they thinking and why does everyone else seemingly like this game?

• The Last of Us no doubt! The first 10 Minutes are awesome then it goes downhill so fast it's almost funny : Unlikeable Characters, generic third person gameplay with tacked on crafting mechanics, uninspired Level design, etc. It's basically a HBO drama series in Videogame format and it fails in both catagories!

It's trash in my opinion and i can't believe ND is wasting money and time to make more of it!^^

• I felt the same about alan wake, I like to irritate one of my buddies by calling it Luigi's mansion with an amateur steven king style screenplay.

The ones I don't get the appeal for is Ark and H1Z1, they both look and run like crap, they still have problems that a game in early access would typically have, and they're mostly devoid of any exciting gameplay.

• This post is deleted!

• Metal Gear ( I just can't play the game , I don't enjoy it or find it fun).
    Uncharted ( less than average game )
    WoW ( again not fun for me , the whole MMO genre actually )

that's just what I can think of now :p
    not trying to get anyone to get angray , this is just how I feel.

• Grand Theft Auto

It's filth. Say what you want about freedom of speech, but stuff like this shouldn't exist.

Final Fantasy/other stereotypical JRPGs

I can't stand this kind of Japanese high fantasy stuff with the busy costumes, androgynous men, clunky, usually turn-based combat. story over gameplay, and so on. They feel more like novels than games. FFVI looks ok though, seems more western in some ways, like Earthbound.

Uncharted

I don't like linear, heavily cinematic games with bland art styles.

Mega Man/Donkey Kong Country/most other sidescrollers

You move right, you jump, you shoot. Then when a boss comes, you dodge, shoot, repeat. Depth and art style can redeem a sidescroller, though. See Super Mario World and Cuphead.

Crash/Spyro/Jak & Daxter/Ratchet & Clank

You're just bouncing around, bopping baddies, collecting doodads. Again, I need depth. Also, the characters have too much attitude and too much animation.

Street Fighter & Mortal Kombat

These games are good in very short bursts in the arcade, but I would never want to play them for any extended period of time. The characters all feel very similar aside from a few special moves, and there isn't much thinking involved, just training your fingers to move faster.

• Almost every Nintendo game. Overpriced and underwhelming darlings of a bygone era that are now mostly average games (graphics and gameplay-wise), but are still carried by the faithful nostalgic fans from its golden era.

Sonic: missed the boat. Same feeling about it as above.

Games with generic protagonist, usually a beefy white male with gruff voice, brown hair and/or a beard/stubble aka. Geralt (The Witcher), Jensen (Deus ex), Nathan Drake (Uncharted) etc. You know what I'm talking about. I consider characters to be the best means to connect as a player to the world and the story. Most of them don't do that. There are exceptions of course, but there really is too obvious pattern here that got really old by now.

• So this thread is basically the ruder version of the already not nice http://forums.easyallies.com/topic/2313/highly-regarded-games-you-couldn-t-get-into ?

• GTA or any Rockstar games
    Mass Effect
    Resident evil 4
    Tomb raider
    Bioshock aka dumbed down System shock for children
    Wolfenstein new order (its crap especially compare to RTCW)
    The Witcher 3 (most overrated game this generation by far. boring and mediocre game)

• @Mbun said in Games you hate that everyone else seems to love.:

So this thread is basically the ruder version of the already not nice http://forums.easyallies.com/topic/2313/highly-regarded-games-you-couldn-t-get-into ?

Oops! I didn't see that when I had a quick scan of the forum for similar topics.

My bad!

• Ni No Kuni, most dissapointed I've ever been in my life, game is just bad.

And the Uncharted games, not only do I think they are not a lot of fun, I'd even argue that they are poorly made games.

• @Mbun Yeah, I was just about to ask if this thread already existed. Thanks for the catch.

@Oscillator That's quite a diverse of genres, which leads me to ask: What games are you into? I'm only curious because many games that you listed are, as I just said, diverse, and I would like to know what you like. Thanks in advance if you respond!

• I actually hate video games, I just keep playing them because I also dislike fun.

• I cannot understand why people like Life is Strange. The three main components of the game are dialogue, choice-making, and scenario and it fails at each of those. Allow me to elaborate:

The dialogue sounds like it was written by 30 year olds who had great teenage years and still think they're in the know with current teenagers.

The choice-making is offensive. As with any game built on making-choices (lookin' at you, Tell-Tale) the choices the player make throughout the game don't have as much affect on the story as it may at first seem. But what makes it so bad in Life is Strange is that at the very end of the game, it all comes done to choosing which of two endings you get, which communicated to thr player that nothing they did previously actually matters anyway.

By "scenario" I mean the weird phenomena that take place as the week passes. The hurricane being caused by the butterfly is, while heavy-handed, not too egregious because "metaphors" and all that. What really irks me is the near indifference to randomly dying wildlife, a somehow unpredicted eclipse (even though they're very predictible), and the SECOND FUCKING MOON IN THE SKY! Not only is there absolutely no reason for any of those things to happen, but everyone is just like, "oh, look at that. strange, innit?"

I honestly think the game is praised solely because of teens who want to feel special about themselves, which is ok for me to say because I'm technically still in my teens.

• I've never been able to get into Rockstar games.

Even Red Dead Redemption. Which I thought for sure I'd like.

• @Brannox said in Games you hate that everyone else seems to love.:

@Oscillator That's quite a diverse of genres, which leads me to ask: What games are you into? I'm only curious because many games that you listed are, as I just said, diverse, and I would like to know what you like. Thanks in advance if you respond!

The top 30 I submitted for the top 100 thread tells my story pretty well:

#1. Worms Armageddon (PC)
    #2. Perfect Dark (N64)
    #3. The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64)
    #4. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Xbox 360)
    #5. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 (Dreamcast)
    #6. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
    #7. Halo 1 (Original Xbox)
    #8. Star Fox 64 (N64)
    #9. Banjo-Kazooie (N64)
    #10. GoldenEye 007 (N64)
    #11. Rayman 2: The Great Escape (N64)
    #12. Harvest Moon 64 (N64)
    #13. Super Smash Bros. Melee (GameCube)
    #14. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (GameCube)
    #15. Burnout Revenge (Original Xbox)
    #16. SimCity 2000: Special Edition (PC)
    #17. Pikmin 1 (GameCube)
    #18. Project Gotham Racing 2 (Original Xbox)
    #19. Pokémon Red & Blue (Original Game Boy)
    #20. Blast Corps (N64)
    #21. Crazy Taxi (Dreamcast)
    #22. Jet Set Radio Future (Original Xbox)
    #23. Unreal Tournament 2003 (PC)
    #24. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved (Xbox 360)
    #25. Soul Calibur (Dreamcast)
    #26. Dance Dance Revolution Extreme (Arcade)
    #27. Robotron 64 (N64)
    #28. MechAssault (Original Xbox)
    #29. Star Wars Episode I: Racer (N64)
    #30. Wreckless: The Yakuza Missions (Original Xbox)

More recent games I like are Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (Xbox 360), Pikmin 3 (Wii U), and Dirt Rally (Xbox One). I also have my eye on Rocket League, Planet Coaster, and STRAFE.

What I like most in a game is depth, freedom, charm, atmosphere, and gameplay that's both addictive and long-lasting.

• @Oscillator Thanks! That's a great list. Shoutout to Pokemon, Smash Bros., and Halo.

• Uncharted and TLOU. You have a good movie paired with a solid game, but stitched together poorly. Its a product that is LESS than the sum of its part, where as the best video games in my opinion are those that pull together all their aspects to make a greater whole. They're not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but the dissonance is a personal gripe of mine.

Dead Space. "It's like Alien in space, you'll love it!" Dead Space is an insult to Alien. Dead Space is Resident Evil 4 in space. It's about surprising you with jump scares and nonthreatening enemies, lacking any sort of real tension and horror. Its an adequate shooter sure, but its a horrible horror game.

BioShock Infinite is a bad game THERE I SAID IT. The story is nonsensical yet the developers and fans seem to think they're so much smarter than everybody else. No, its not that I don't understand the story, because its really not that complicated, but rather than its both riddled with holes and poorly told. Also, Elizabeth is an overrated companion. BOOKER CATCH does not make me bond with an AI.

I could keep going but I've already dug myself a big enough hole haha

• @Galaxy40k said in Games you hate that everyone else seems to love.:

Uncharted and TLOU. You have a good movie paired with a solid game, but stitched together poorly. Its a product that is LESS than the sum of its part, where as the best video games in my opinion are those that pull together all their aspects to make a greater whole. They're not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but the dissonance is a personal gripe of mine.

Dead Space. "It's like Alien in space, you'll love it!" Dead Space is an insult to Alien. Dead Space is Resident Evil 4 in space. It's about surprising you with jump scares and nonthreatening enemies, lacking any sort of real tension and horror. Its an adequate shooter sure, but its a horrible horror game.

BioShock Infinite is a bad game THERE I SAID IT. The story is nonsensical yet the developers and fans seem to think they're so much smarter than everybody else. No, its not that I don't understand the story, because its really not that complicated, but rather than its both riddled with holes and poorly told. Also, Elizabeth is an overrated companion. BOOKER CATCH does not make me bond with an AI.

I could keep going but I've already dug myself a big enough hole haha

I actually like Bioshock 1&2 but I really REALLY didn't like Infinite.

• @Oscillator Yes! Blast Corps! Love it! I also put many hours into Harvest Moon 64. I haven't tried many other games similar but nothing has captured HM64 for me. Lastly, I also rank Majora's Mask higher than Ocarina of Time. Solid list.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.