Selective Creation: Generate the Ultimate 1980s List!

• Time for another "Second-Chance Build," but instead of brands, let's do a time period! That's right: Time to build the definitive list of the best games of the 1980s!

No matter what game you nominate, it MUST be ORIGINALLY released from January 1, 1980 to December 31, 1989. ANY game is eligible on any platform from any company.

Because this is a build of an entire decade, I'm keeping the count at 30

SO: As always - Quick rule refresher for potential new players:

Here's the breakdown: You've been given the power to green-light 30 games, but here's the catch: these 30 games will be the ONLY games to come out of the 1980s. What should be the games that make the cut? By giving 30 select titles, you are essentially playing an inverse of Kill Your Babies.

You can only give one title until four people have added after you OR 12 hours have passed since the last overall addition, NOT NECESSARILY YOURS, so think really hard about which game should be on the list. It could be your favorite game, or if your favorite is already present, then you can add another you hold dear. Or if you have no knowledge of the 80s, I don't know what to really say.

To keep some diversity, I'm instituting a franchise cap. So if two entries of a series get put on the list, a third CAN NOT be added.

Once you have given a game, please keep a running list going for the benefit of the next person that would like to play. Because I'm pitching the game, I will refrain from adding to the list unless absolutely necessary because it would be unfair for me to skew the list in my favor.

And so Allies, what are the 30 games that define the 1980s?

Have fun!

• I'm gonna start us off with

The Legend of Zelda

My first time playing it was actually just a couple of years ago on virtual console. While I wasn't really able to get into it, I can recognize the importance it has and that those were there to play it in 1986 loved it.

• The Legend of Zelda
    Super Mario Bros 3

May be the only game from before the 90s that I'd truly say is one of the best games ever made.

• "Because this is a build of an entire I'm keeping the count at 30"

Should be a "decade" in there, no?

Anyhow...

The Legend of Zelda
    Super Mario Bros 3
    Tetris

• @Oscillator I think I'd be comfortable stopping the list now and choosing from these three

• @Oscillator Yup. Reread my OP. Saw it, fixed it, then saw your post. Tis what happens when I try to make alterations to a big post. Ah well. At least you could understand my nearly incoherent babbling!

• The Legend of Zelda
    Super Mario Bros 3
    Tetris
    Super Mario Bros. 2/USA

Because it's better than every other NES Mario game and no I am not joking when I say that.

• The Legend of Zelda
    Super Mario Bros 3
    Tetris
    Super Mario Bros. 2/USA
    Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards

• The Legend of Zelda
    Super Mario Bros 3
    Tetris
    Super Mario Bros. 2/USA
    Double Dragon

And a clarification, console only or is arcade allowed here?

• @Sazime said in Selective Creation: Generate the Ultimate 1980s List!:

And a clarification, console only or is arcade allowed here?

What about PC, such as Commodore 64 and Amiga?

• @Oscillator said in Selective Creation: Generate the Ultimate 1980s List!:

What about PC, such as Commodore 64 and Amiga?

Good question too.

• @Oscillator
    "No matter what game you nominate, it MUST be ORIGINALLY released from January 1, 1980 to December 31, 1989. ANY game is eligible on any platform from any company."

I think this answers your question. As long as it was released on 80's, it's eligible.

The Legend of Zelda
    Super Mario Bros 3
    Tetris
    Super Mario Bros. 2/USA
    Double Dragon
    River City Ransom

Amazing game, definitely ahead of it's time.

• @jipostus There's a reason why it survived the NES KYB. :D

• @Sazime Which is why it'll be killed among the first batch of games.

• The Legend of Zelda
    Super Mario Bros 3
    Tetris
    Super Mario Bros. 2/USA
    Double Dragon
    River City Ransom
    Pac-Man

It's still one of the best arcade games ever made. It's simply phenomenal and still holds up. It's included on in-flight entertainment and making long haul travel bearable. It's genius I tells ya!

• Global Moderator

The Legend of Zelda
    Super Mario Bros 3
    Tetris
    Super Mario Bros. 2/USA
    Double Dragon
    River City Ransom
    Pac-Man
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

I remember playing this with my uncle growing up and thought it was one of the coolest games ever. I hated the damm level though, swiming and disarming bombs at a timer was so hard, so my uncle did that level most of the times. Brilliant game!

• @jipostus Thanks for pulling the quote.

• @Brannox No problemo

• The Legend of Zelda
    Super Mario Bros 3
    Tetris
    Super Mario Bros. 2/USA
    Double Dragon
    River City Ransom
    Pac-Man
    Elite

Space... the final frontier

• The Legend of Zelda
    Super Mario Bros 3
    Tetris
    Super Mario Bros. 2/USA
    Double Dragon
    River City Ransom
    Pac-Man
    Elite
    Double Dragon II: The Revenge

It's the best double dragon, and it's got "the revenge" which is the best subtitle ever.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.