Nintendo's Online Service Pricing

• It's still way too much for twelve 25-30 year old games and a shitty mobile app imo. For my 60 bucks for PS+ i get like what ~60 games a year and they are not old as dirt, lol!

• @Exist-2-Inspire Too bad lots of those ~60 games are kinda trash too. People usually download them and never come back to them, much like how people treat Steam libraries often. Lots of times they don't even download them, because one look at it and you know you'll never play it. More realistically you're probably getting about 24 decent old games a year (2 goodies a month) versus Nintendo offering 12 old games a year with added online they never had before (1 goodie a month), which still sounds bad until you realize it's going to cost half to a third of the price.

The really messed up part of Nintendo's plan is still that the games are loaners for the month instead of getting to keep them. They're really going to have to justify that going forward. I know some people have talked about them trying to build active communities around the game of the month, so you can get lots of matches with it and everyone is talking about the same thing at the same time, but there's inevitably going to be months with stuff people don't care about which sours the whole plan. If they just let people keep past month's game or opt out of the new month one to get to keep playing one of the older month ones I'd feel better about it. Hopefully there's yet more Nintendo hasn't revealed yet.

• @Mbun I tried playing some Smash online and it was straight horrid 60% of the time. Granted I fall into the category of people who didn't buy an ethernet adapter but I shouldn't have to. I paid for great internet speeds and the router was within 5 feet of the console so it wasn't interference or distance. I've played Xbox360 and PS4 online before using wifi when I can't direct connect and they would work fine. The Switch dock should just have an ethernet port on it, but I don't claim to know the reasons for why they decided against it.

I, like @TokyoSlim, don't Nintendo is sitting around thinking, well once everyone pays us $X for online we will have $Y to invest in making the service that much better. Their online service is going to need to be that much better out of the gate when its free to convince people its worth spending money on. I don't know anything about the costs for setting up an online service are but PC doesn't charge anything so it seems more like a cash grab, plus here are some free games, than anything else.

• Banned

@Mbun said in Nintendo's Online Service Pricing:

The really messed up part of Nintendo's plan is still that the games are loaners for the month instead of getting to keep them. They're really going to have to justify that going forward.

There is no justifying it. Nintendo wants you to rebuy the same games over and over and over again with each new console iteration instead of having it all tied to one account.

All they're doing is making piracy more appealing.

• @Mbun said in Nintendo's Online Service Pricing:

@TokyoSlim Well since Nintendo has never done this, your historical examples do more to discredit the competitors' online service than how the Switch's online service will pan out.

Yep, that's what I said 4 years or whatever ago too. That's exactly my point in wishing you good luck.

The online sub business model is a revenue stream for every other company, not infrastructure upgrade cost deferment.

If Nintendo is copying what Sony and MS are doing, it's to make more money, not to "improve". If they are going to improve their service, then they are not copying the competition. That's all I'm saying.

• @Art said in Nintendo's Online Service Pricing:

@Mbun said in Nintendo's Online Service Pricing:

The really messed up part of Nintendo's plan is still that the games are loaners for the month instead of getting to keep them. They're really going to have to justify that going forward.

There is no justifying it. Nintendo wants you to rebuy the same games over and over and over again with each new console iteration instead of having it all tied to one account.

All they're doing is making piracy more appealing.

Which is why so many people are making Raspberry Pis as emulator machines. And for me I have a 2TB portable drive full of games I've ripped from discs I own as well as 2 decades worth of collecting ROMs.

• $20-$30 for 12 free trials a year is not worth it.

• @ib0show said in Nintendo's Online Service Pricing:

$20-$30 for 12 free trials a year is not worth it.

Agreed, say what people will about PSN's lineup of free games, I've gotten some pretty good games out of it.

Transformers Devastation and Lords Of The Fallen alone are retail priced between $20-$30 and they were both free, that already paid for the service for the year, not to mention all of the other PS+ deals, price cuts, etc and other free games DLC packs for games like Smite and Warframe and Paragon, And I GET TO KEEP THEM!

There's nothing that inspires any faith in nintendo's scheme right now.

• @ZyloWolfBane said in Nintendo's Online Service Pricing:

Which is why so many people are making Raspberry Pis as emulator machines. And for me I have a 2TB portable drive full of games I've ripped from discs I own as well as 2 decades worth of collecting ROMs.

Exactly. At some point Nintendo needs to realize that their old games aren't really worth that much anymore. Anyone could go out and play these games for free. Sure its not legal but its not like its hard to do, you aren't jailbreaking a device or anything. Obviously there are still people who buy them and its still making Nintendo money but at this point giving me a way to buy your old NES games is nothing special. Giving me 12 free trials of games that came out upwards of 30 years ago is no longer a deal, almost no matter what the price is.

• @Tragosaurus I never played Smash online, so I can't really comment. I really wonder if it was the people you were getting matched up against though since I never have had problems with other games. I'd guess it's either a problem with Smash or your opponents.

@Art Except Nintendo Accounts exist now, and they've talked a little about how they can track purchases through it now. We're just waiting to hear the full details about what that means for our libraries going into the Switch.