Honestly speaking which games do you think could be masterpieces in 2017?

• The main one I'm thinking of right now is Nioh. That's my Pop Tart and I honestly think that game will be fucking glorious, especially after seeing the improvements through the earlier demos.

There are games that I think will be fantastic, but for me the word masterpiece is something special, a game that really captures your sense of imagination and reminds you why this is the best medium in the world. I think Nioh just might do that for me.

• @MSBi said in Honestly speaking which games do you think could be masterpieces in 2017?:

minus any subjective attachment

Sorry, my probability drives are malfunctioning. You'll just have to make do with the subjective opinions of a mortal — like every other post here, haha.

Well, I haven't beaten it yet, but Gravity Rush 2 is already getting there for me. I like it and the first game's writing more than most self-serious games, 'cause it's just engaging and has a heart to it.

I think Breath of the Wild is almost certainly going to be a masterpiece. For one, it's a 3D Zelda game. Not Skyward Sword, not some top-down handheld game, a full-fledged Zelda game. And even apart from pedigree, Breath has a more physical world and responsive, just fun-looking set of mechanics than any game I've seen so far this gen. I think the only other games that let you cut nearly any tree in the world are survival games, and you cannot tell me they fall more naturally. And finally, it's the first Zelda with zoras and gorons in an age, and it looks to have a lot going on in its story, even regardless of the voice acting. Admittedly the story is what I'm most worried about, since it's focusing on Zelda like Skyward Sword and Nintendo has a mediocre history writing her.

Nier: Automata will probably outshine games like For Honor and Nioh simply with its different kinds of set pieces. I have no idea what to expect going into a new level of Nier, whereas most other games we can see what's coming from far away, or have a pretty good impression based off of that game being multiplayer, Souls, or whatever. Finally, this feels like Platinum's first attempt to make a world since Okami. I am excited beyond words for that.

Ben's Frame Trap preview got me quite excited for Persona 3's writing, and the music is already quite nice.

Lastly I guess Mass Effect: Andromeda and Red Dead Redemption 2 could be quite good. Mass Effect just needs to have less formulaic writing and surprise us. And Red Dead looks nice, but we'll have to see what the sequel actually ads besides improved graphics. Show me that next-gen horse-wrangling to compete with Zelda!

• Global Moderator

I really really hope that Horizon: Zero Dawn will be one of those games that you remember for a long time just because how amazingly good it was! However, there are also a huge chance of it just being "okey" where its a good experience but that you will hardly recall a while down the line. I got my hopes up and we will see!

• @Lotias I think it's really going to come down to open world fatigue. Personally, I like that stuff, so I'm all in. But there's a lot of people who are sick of it.

Yakuza 0 is my palette cleanser.

• Global Moderator

@TokyoSlim yeah I am kinda getting there a bit, so I can see what you mean. It feels like many games today are open world just for the sake of it. I kinda miss a lot of games with a heavy story. I mean not corridor lead game á la FF XIII, but something where you can explore some but have a clear story in mind. I mean maybe introduce world maps again?

• PREY easily.

Its resemble System Shock and Half life. and Arkane are excellent developer at making level design.

it will be easily GOTY 2017.

• Persona 5, though it's easy for me to say that since reviews in Japan were positive. Pretty much the same for Nioh, due to all those demos. It's not for me, but I think it'll be amazing.

Otherwise the only other game I really think will be a masterpiece is Red Dead 2, if that releases in 2017, which I highly doubt.

I hope Nier and Mass Effect are masterpieces though.

• Metroid Prime 4 mic drop
    ha kidding.

I Think Zelda: Breath of the wild will be a masterpiece. It's a given.

Here are some things I want to do

• Shield Boarding down death mountain
    • Explore looking for the coolest loot, swords or outfit changes that look bad ass.
    • Finding my favorite horse and making sure he or she does not die ever.
    • See if I can tame a dog to travel with me like wolf amibo.
    • Go bug Catching and fishing =)
    • Hunt animals to try make some sort of epic hacks meal. what if you mix all types of meats O..o
    • Try and sneak into an extremely deadly territory past all the guardians and enemy's in hopes to find some high level loot or a really good shrine.

I mean there is prob a ton more ideas, but I am just going to relax when I get the game and take it slow enjoy every moment in that world. Just giving an idea as to why it will be a masterpiece. The game elements are so well crafted to be fun, and each one is an adventure in it's self.

Dynamic weather that forces you to react, if it rains you can't climb as well so you have to go around, if it's a storm you have to strip off your high level gear and metal objects making you vulnerable, if your in snow you need to equip better outfits or use fire and cooking to move threw that area, at night time monsters come out of the ground and it's a lot more dangerous.

Hidden enemy's, we saw there are stealth lizards who blend into the environment and ordinary rocks that can become a rock monster from galaxy quest. While your exploring you never know when something might come out and attack you even the dreaded guardians. So you are always on alert in a new area.

Ok I am done.

• Masterpieces?

• Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
    • Mario Odyssey
    • Red Dead Redemption
    • Persona 5

Ones that'll probably be great but aren't locks for masterpieces:

• Horizon Zero Dawn
    • Mass Effect Andromeda
    • Prey

• Guys tottaly forgot but if God Of War 4 makes it out this year it's going to be ... Godly.

• Resident Evil 7 is definitely up there.

• Nioh.
    I'm done here.

• @Alex840
    Great list, I agree with this 100%.

• I think Horizon has a good chance of being one of them games that you remember even 20 years later.

• Yakuza 0 - I think already is, I've played all the mainline Yakuza games and it's by far and away the best of them, the slightly eccentric but gritty Japanese crime-drama story is to be expected but the humour in the game really took me by surprise, almost every side quest is a pure delight and has me laughing like a 10 year old.

Honestly one of the funniest games I've ever played, I've laughed far more playing this then I did the entirety of the South Park RPG, even though I'm a massive South Park fan!

Nioh - I think this will scratch the SoulsBorne itch for fans of those games, and also carve itself its own little niche, the reviews its been getting have been incredible and I only think it'll go from strength to strength in the future, let's hope it sells well too!

Persona 5 - Probably the most re-assuredly amazing game to ever come out, the team behind it have only made incredible games, its been in development for a very long time and has been delayed multiple times to polish it to the very extreme, I cannot see this being anything but incredible, it's the safest 90+ MC masterpiece game in a very long time.

• Banned

@Farsendor said in Honestly speaking which games do you think could be masterpieces in 2017?:

I think Horizon has a good chance of being one of them games that you remember even 20 years later.

I think it'll be remembered too, but only because Sony will still be making sequels to Horizon 20 years from now.

You know, if they play their cards right and manage to turn this into a new long running franchise.

Better than having more Killzone.