Hey guys, I designed a level in Unreal Engine 4 for school. looking for feedback!

• Back in December I designed a small game demo and posted on these forums. The feedback I received was awesome, so thank you all for your input and words.

I haven't had time to update that game, because immediately after that we had an assignment to develop a level using Unreal Engine 4.

So I did.

This was my first time ever using Unreal Engine 4, so i had to teach myself everything from how to install it to making the lighting work properly.

Just looking for feedback and any kind of criticism on how it looks and flows. (I know the red text appearing on screen is hard to read. but it's not important)

Youtube Video

Love and Respect!
    -Sinjin

• Too many long hallways.

The guards don't seem to have much point other than acting as another wall. In games like these, rather than looking for a long way around, finding a way over or under, or using tools/the environment to distract enemies is much more interesting.

Too linear. The few small rooms ("apartments") included seem mandatory to pass through. For example, GoldenEye 007 had numerous pointless rooms to give it a lived-in feel.

There only seems to be one section of noticeable verticality. Having bridges cross back and forth as you get higher is a time-tested way of expressing height.

• @Oscillator This is all great. You're totally right about the few too little small rooms.
    We were only given a month and one week to complete the project though. So features like fully animated enemies who you fight would have been nice to add, but to compensate i axed combat and had them chase you if you are spotted. i would have liked to do more areas like going back into the sewers or over another bridge, but we were told to make it so the level could be completed in 30 seconds, and I was already wayyy over scoped :/ .

but thanks for the feedback! i really do appreciate it

• @Sinjin said in Hey guys, I designed a level in Unreal Engine 4 for school. looking for feedback!:

we were told to make it so the level could be completed in 30 seconds

That explains a lot.

• Your passion stands out more than anything.

I got Halo 3 Forge vibes at the beginning. Seems like a place I'd enjoy to run around.

I mean it's difficult to criticize through a video. If stealth was your objective then maybe it could have used some path variety but I mean stealth generally comes from both AI AND level design and clearly you weren't designing AI for this assignment.

• @GoTaco thanks man, that really means a lot to me. it is hard to get that across in pure design. had i more time i would of loved to have made a path for enemy AI to walk through that you had to avoid