Forgotten RPGs

• This one right here. It's a personal favourite from my childhood and I still go back to it every now and then. The combat's basic, but it's got a nice comfy atmosphere and follows the story of the book rather than the movie. Pure good vibes. The same is true for Chamber of Secrets, also on the Game Boy Color.

alt text

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Forgotten RPGs:

If you love RPGs, there's a solid chance you've played a Final Fantasy, an Elder Scrolls game, or hell, maybe even Persona. But what about those underappreciated RPGs that no one ever talks about? Let's talk about 'em!

My main recommendation is always the Shadow Hearts series from the PS2 era. Set in the "real" world, you're left battling actual historical figures, like Roger Bacon and Rasputin, all while dealing with the occult and demons. Towns are full of dread, you can recruit a vampire into your party as a secret character (at least in the first game), and the combat is turn based but uses a "judgement ring" - basically using timing to perform even the simplest actions, making the stakes always a little higher than normal.

What other beauties are out there?

I love you man. Shadow Hearts 2 is probably my favorite PS2 JRPG, possibly my favorite JRPG period. Great call! I am still really bummed out, that neither Nautilus nor its successor feelplus inc ever got the rcognition they deserved.Talking about feelplus inc. Lost Odyssey was the only true PS3 era Final Fantasy if you ask me.

• @Bloodworth The legend has revealed himself! Real deep cut there Blood, thanks for the input.

@TokyoSlim I had completely forgotten about this one but I remember playing the demo for it for hours upon hours. I never got around to playing the actual release though.

@babpel91 Gotta spread that Shadow Hearts love around! Seeing as some of the more obscure RPGs from the PS2 era (Dark Cloud, Rogue Galaxy) got "new" releases on the PS4, I'm really hoping Shadow Hearts gets that same treatment.

• alt text

DOS version:
    Youtube Video

• @SabotageTheTruth Yeah but that's probably because Level 5 is still very much and active and successful developer with strong publisher relationships. No idea what happened to the feelplus inc/Nautilus guys and even more important: I am not even sure who owns the rights to SH. It used to be Midway, but they are long gone.
    But I will remain hopeful. If Shenmue 3 can happen, at least a remaster for SH should be possible, right?

• Well, I guess I could list many, but let's stick to one shall we:

alt text

Yepp, Steambot Chronicles. It came out rather late in the PS2's life and had very little marketing push. I'm not surprised it didn't sell overly well, but gosh was this game good. The game has a little bit of everything in it really and I couldn't recommend it more to those looking for those hidden gems.

• lost odyssey!!
    Basically final fantasy 11.
    I loved it. Great story. Great characters.

• Crystalis.

Crystalis

Really cool game, and looked fantastic on the NES.

• Legend of Dragoon
    Edit:.. wait

Edit2: JADE COCOON

• These 2 series are so forgotten they are not available anywhere digitally.
    .hack series is not the best rpg. But It is close to my heart.
    Valkyrie profile series needs more attention. both were beautiful and the 2nd game has to have the best combat system in any rpg IMO. the 2nd game was also one of the few ps2 games that could be HD if you got the cables.

A third would be Joan De Arc on psp. which got a digital version finally put on the store last year.

• Global Moderator

Bit of an old thread, but I'll give it a revive so it can keep on grinding ;p

One of my favorite forgotten RPGs was on the Xbox 360, a console noted for having very few JRPGs. Microsoft went hard on courting SE and we got The Last Remnant & Infinite Undiscovery (technically Infinite is really a tri-ace game) but in a generation where jrpgs basically fell off the map for awhile, and where the 360 had virtually no traction in Japan it was nice to have some new concepts and jrpg ideas. I really especially liked Last Remnant's battle system that harkens a little bit to Legend of Dragoon with timed button presses that can alter battle flow, and how your team compositions affected combat.

The best version of the game is out on Steam and I certainly recommend it.

• Langrisser 2
    alt text

One of the greatest strategy RPGs ever with ridiculously huge scale battles, never released in english but has fan translations. There was a new game on 3ds but it's terrible

Lufia series
    Alhough well loved by most who played it, the series was left dormant until a terrible reboot by square enix on 3ds

FEDA: Emblem of Justice
    alt text

The Shining Force sequel you never knew existed! This game is very VERY similar to shining force and was developed by many of the same staff, sadly again only released in japan to little fanfare.

Sakura Wars
    Only the 5th game got a western release as So Long, My love and not many people played it, well worth checking out if you get a chance

Vanguard Bandits
    Very fun mecha SRPG, I believe you can pick it up on PSN these days and it has really likeable funny characters

Hapy to see some people mentioning stuff like Thousand Arms already, really love that game. If you like it you should check out the Ar Tonelico series and vice versa

• @TokyoSlim said in Forgotten RPGs:

Legend Of Legaia

I cam here to say that, and you already got me covered!

• Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon on the Wii is a great RPG that was ignored.

alt text

Not only was the gameplay very good (mystery dungeon roguelike with a job system) but the soundtrack is made up of some of the greatest Final Fantasy song of all time all remastered for this gem of a videogame:

Youtube Video

• I may sound like broken record by now, but I still say Ancient Domains of Mystery. A true old school roguelike RPG. There's free version on their website for anyone to try, but there is deluxe version on steam for $15.

But there are actually several other RPG's I feel are overlooked by many, such as:

• Alundra. PSX hidden gem, although it's more action adventure than RPG, but it's still a good game. It's on PSN (PS3/PSP) for $7.

• Avernum series. (I like it over developers, Spiderweb software, other series, Geneforge, which some other people have liked.) It's a series where you have party of up to four characters, (which you create yourself) wander in Avernum, subterranean world where people from "overworld" (can't remember exactly, haven't played these in years) pretty much banish all criminals and misfits and such. You can find all seven games bundled together from GOG for $12.

• "Brand new" adventure mode in Ehrgeiz: God Bless The Ring for PSX. It's a RPG mode in Ehrgeiz, which is sub-par fighting game from dreamfactory with FF7 characters innit. It's actually pretty good in it's own way, and I would love to see a new game which borrows some elements from it. Randomly generated dungeons, several bosses and hidden minibosses, different foods affect characters level up bonuses etc. All four endings are disappointing though, and the overall story is not good either, but the mode itself is a fun distraction from the actual game it's in. Unfortunately the game is only available in japanese PSN (for PS3), or you have to find a copy in thriftshops or ebay.

Those are all I could remember at the moment.

• @jipostus I remember loving Alundra as a kid, I've really been meaning to replay through it now that I'm grown and "mature". I also remember playing a second game in the series but my memories of that one weren't too fond. I completely forgot about that mode in Ehrgeiz! I played that way more than the actual fighting portion. Wish more fighting games had large distractions like this one did.