The Final Fantasy Debate

• @BallzBallz I hear the airship argument often... but is it really that much of a dealbreaker? I know it's cool to be able to pilot the ship at your own discretion, but using the airship takes up around 1% of overall playtime for a Final Fantasy game.

• I've actually got to say I enjoy 8 quite a bit. It probably has a slight skew since it was my first Final Fantasy, but overall I loved most aspects of it. Same when I eventually played 7 and X.

• The series peaked between FF 4-9, though my personal favorites are 6, 7 and 8 (all for different reasons).
    I think that 6 has overall the best "story", 7 has the best "world" to explore and stuff to do in it (the Gold Saucer for example is legendary). I like 8 for the numerous game design decisions (from how you could customize your characters to the 0 grind to the absolutely fantastic final dungeon that is Ultimecia Castle).

FF10 and onwards is when the series pretty much stopped being traditional FF for me.

• One great thing I'll admit about 8 - Triple Triad is one of the best sidequests/minigames in any release, ever.

• For me, FF7 is my favorite game of all time, and naturally my favorite of the series. Comparatively, I dislike FF6 the most, and FF12 is right there next to it.

I've gotten to the end of FF5 and lost my save file. Someday I will beat it, but it's hard getting back into it.

I've beaten all the rest of the mainline entries (non-MMO), though not every one of them from their original versions. I could never stomach FF3, but FF3DS was another matter entirely, and probably has one of the best launch intros of all time, which is unfortunately watered down on any single screen device. FF4DS also gets more criticism than I think it deserves. FF4 balances out to my 2nd favorite, but I absolutely feel that 4DS is an all around upgrade in every way. The 3D sprites are faithful to the concept art more-so than the classic sprites, which I suppose some people take issue with. I don't know if I could handle faithful representations of the FF5 concept art, for example, I know the Steam/iOS port of FF5 is hideous.

I actually enjoy the FF13 series. I understand some of the basic criticisms behind them, but I don't understand the widespread hate. Also Hope was the best character in the first game, and Vanille was by far the worst.

If I were to rank them, discounting X-2 and XIII-2/Lightning Returns:

FF7 > FF4 > FF10 > FF9 = FF8 > FF13 > FF5 > FF1 > FF3 > FF2 > FF12 > FF6

My dislike for 6 isn't due to the anti-popularity vote, it's just how I feel. I anticipate a remake of 6, because I think I will enjoy it more when it is in 3D. On the other hand I don't think my dislike for 12 can be fixed without extreme revisions to the story, so maybe it deserves to be in the bottom spot instead.

FF8 has issues and FF9 doesn't, really, but I appreciate 8's world a whole lot more, so they're kinda even. FF10 took out airship flight (airship map select doesn't count), but in every other circumstance I absolutely love the game. FF4 is just timeless. You could re-release that game 10 more times and I'd buy it every time, as long as you don't go that HD sprite route like on the PSP, I'll never understand why that's more valued than 3D models.

I also play FF14, but it's felt really slow and dull these days, so I haven't played it as much. I keep trying to find excuses to get back into it though. I still haven't beaten Heavensward and a new expansion was just teased by Yoshida, so I'll need to rev up my gears sometime soon.

• @thrashinuva I really, really like Hope for so many reasons. Firstly, I made him into an insane ravager that just decimated everything he touched. Secondly, I think he has one of the more interesting character arcs out of any Final Fantasy. He truly grows as a character and my opinion of him also changed - from groaning every time he complained to finally respecting his transformation and all the obstacles he had to overcome to get there. Not enough Hope love out there, that's for sure.

• Super happy to see all of these responses! A couple of notes I wanted to add:

@BallzBallz: To your point about Tidus hate, I understand it. While I don't hate him with a passion, he and Wakka are the WORST party characters of the game. The main Final Fantasy character I REALLY can't stand is Vaan from 12. He and Penelo are not necessary. Once the other four characters become a part of the party, its easier to stomach, but still: TERRIBLE.

@kirkking2000, @suplextrain: I'm really glad that you enjoy 8, as this is a fundamental reason why this thread is here. I dislike it, but you do, so having your reasons is super cool!

@SabotageTheTruth: I have not played Tactics, but I'm happy you've included it here. Even though I started this with a skew of main numbered entries, I don't want to limit this discussion to just those.

Because every game is not related to another, it allows for such a diverse set of opinions which is why I love this conversation. Thank you everyone for your input!

• Final Fantasy VII is my favourite FF game of all time. Since that cold winter day back in 97 I've been chasing the dragon ever since. My issue with every Final Fantasy game since then is that it wasn't VII lol. And that unfortunately has effected my enjoyment of the other entries. I still enjoyed VIII and IX, but X was a complete departure of a series I really enjoyed. No world map to explore? Was the hell kind of FF is that? Lol. Anyways I played and beat X, never touched XI, stopped playing XII after an hour and got excited for XIII until I heard it was linear. Tried XIV but I'm not a fan of MMO's and now XV is the first time I've been hopeful in a FF game in years.

I'm looking forward to VII Remake and I'm happy that they are making changes. I wasn't happy at first, but the more I thought about it the more I realized I don't want the same game I've played several times. I obviously want the same story, world, mood and setting of the original but I want them to take that game and make it more than it was. Just make sure there some open world for me to explore dammit lol.

Anyways, to be fair FF7 was one of my first games that made me love gaming. That's what makes it special to me. I've played some of the classic ones and they were good for what they were but I wish I played them when they first released.

I think the hard part about video game franchises is that it's hard to keep a balance. You constantly have to compete with yourself and so do the fans.

• Final Fantasy XII is the best. Tactics is also great... so is FFIV... so is VI... and X... and IX... and VIII.... VII isn't half bad either...

• My favorite videogame of all time is Final Fantasy Tactics. It's endlessly replayable, crazy deep, great story, compelling characters. I've played through it more than 30 times in my life.

• 7 > 9 > 4 > 6 > X > 8 > 5 > 13 > 12 > 3 > 1 > 2

I think FF7 has the most well developed main character and world and a really unique style, while 9 had a great balance of depth across its whole cast

• @El-Shmiablo said in The Final Fantasy Debate:

6 is objectively the best.
    /thread

And that's where you're wrong. It's a great game, but the problem with it is that it gets muddled at the halfway point. When the massive world changer happens, anything you do there has absolutely no direction and doesn't give the player much clue what to do next.

Now, it's also one of my favourite Square games, I even rate it higher than the much better paced and built Final Fantasy 4 (AKA 2, way back when... "YOU SPOONY BARD!"), but it's not the best in terms of game construction and pacing, that goes to the aforementioned FF4.

• I'd say that there is no one right or wrong answer, because how varied this series is, and everyone has their own tastes. For me, FFVI is the best, because of the story and characters.

But I also do like IV, V, VII, IX, X and XII. First three, while ok, don't hold up in my opinion as well, but I do appreciate them. VIII is ok, but many things in it doesn't make any sense, like Junction system and somewhat retarded story. I have also tried both online games, not my thing.

XIII... Just no. That game is just walking a corridor. It doesn't feel like a world, not even when you reach gran pulse. That is just one hub area to bunch of corridors. All other FF games had me believe in the worlds they portrayed, which is one of the reasons I love these games, and XIII dropped the ball with this.

Hopefully XV will return the series into its former glory.

• I am probably one of the biggest fans of the series out there, if only because I like EVERY SINGLE game in the series. No exceptions. Though I will admit to having not played some of the spinoffs all the way through. On any given day I would tell you my favorite game in the series and it would be different the next day, and the next, etc. If I had to choose which I liked the least of the mainline games (which I still love!) I'd say I, II, III, and XIII. I, II and III just have some issues with how they aged and are a bit too simplistic sometimes. XIII... I still love almost everything about it, but the EXTREME linearity even beyond X is almost painful.

Still, I've never been able to comrehend actually HATING a game in the series, or even any of the characters. It's such a good series.

• Here's my top 5;
    FFVI, FFIV OR FFIX (they go back an forth depending on my mood), FFVII, FFX

FFI, FFII and FFIII have not aged well. FFV is good, but I'm not a fan of the job system. FFVIII is a massively disappointing follow-up to FFVII, but I can tolerate it once I get about halfway through (I utilize a strategy that by-passes a lot of the drawing and functioning).
    I don't count FFXI or FFXIV because they're MMOs.
    FFXII has a great story, but I can't stand the gameplay. Zodiac edition might fix that, but I'm not holding my breath.
    There really isn't anything good to say about FFXIII. I haven't played the sequels, which I have been told are better, but that is a small hurdle to jump

• First Love - IV
    Valedictorian - VI
    Most Popular - VII
    Most Spirit - IX
    Dreamiest - X
    Risk Taker - XII
    Most Likely to Change Jobs - V
    Garden Club - VIII
    MMO Club - XI, XIV
    Hall Monitor - XIII

• @Mechanoid Hahahahahaha, this is great. I really appreciate this.

• Global Moderator

This is a hard one.

Final Fantasy is a series near and dear to my heart!

But my favourite without a doubt - so far - is FF IX. The story, characters, music and atmosphere is just something that have bonded with me so much.

FF VII - This is my second favourite in the series. I cried so so much you-know-when.

FF VI - This opening makes me come back over and over.

FF X - This was good, on the first day I got this, I played it for 16 hours without a break. But after getting stuck a few times and growingly getting annoyed by the voice actors it kinda dropped more in my eyes.

I didnt like XIII at all! I have tried to force myself through this. I like lightning and fang, but thats pretty much it really.

FF XIV - This was fun, I would prolly have played this daily if it wasnt released just as I was moving country and didnt have a good PC for a long time. Now I feel like its too late to pick up as I have lost on too much etc.

• @Brannox Happy to hear it :smile: L&R :v:

• @Mechanoid L&R to you as well! :metal_tone2: