The Final Fantasy Debate

• Alright. I love this topic. It's tough for me because I equate my love of Final Fantasy to my connection with my brother. He and I always used to play these games together, often taking turns during certain parts or fighting over who would get the controller on any given day. So, this series holds a very emotional importance to me as much as it does sheer enjoyment of JRPGs.

I grew up on 4 and 6, falling instantly in love with them. Went back and played 1-3 and then found an illegal translated ROM of 5.

6 was my favorite from my childhood and probably holds the title as my favorite game. It was immense, it had such huge stakes. The music was everything. When I heard Shadow's theme, it sent chills through me. I love this game so much, my wife purchased magnets for our fridge that contain dialogue from the game. haha

I remember the demo of FF7 and being amazed. I played it from beginning to end fanatically, staying up super late on school nights. Same with FF8. I LOVED 8 because it felt different from 7 and that was something that made it easy to dive into. Call me crazy, but I loved the card game in 8 as well. My wife is passionate about 8 and every so often, I'll come home to see her fighting Ultimecia again just because she can.

9? Never played it. The aesthetic, the gameplay, etc. just didn't do much for me. I never felt like investing a ton of time into it.

FFX was another milestone for me in the series. Voices, wonderful CGI, fun gameplay, a beautiful look to the world and the summons were so much fun. I did hate the sphere grid, however. This was another game that I maxed out every character. I would do it a second and third time with the remasters for PS3 and PS4. This is another one that my wife loves.

11? I played it on launch day, was immersed by players from Japan and struggled to grasp the game. It didn't help that I was playing two other MMORPGs at the time, so this got shuffled to the back.

12 is funny because it was how I met my wife. We worked together, I came into work with a copy of FF12 because it had just came out and I had just picked it up. She took the case from me to flip through the book and I've been dorkily smitten with her since. Hilariously, we both own a copy of this game and we haven't finished it. The combat wasn't fun. However, when the remaster comes out, we've sworn that we will beat it.

FF13 was a game I completed simply because I thought I had to. I didn't enjoy the characters, the music or the fight system. It looks beautiful, but I just don't care about this installment or its sequels.

Never played 14.

I'm curious about FF15 and I will play it. We'll see. I try to stay optimistic.

• @DubyaLucha This is wonderful! Thank you very much for your post!

• 6 and 9 are my favorites personally.
    I love the style of 6 and all the great characters, it felt like such a grand tale and it was unlike anything I'd experienced.
    9 was the throwback to classic FF I was craving after 7 and 8, all the characters were super likeable except for Quina, all the environments looked incredible and warm. Treno is my favorite FF town. Battle system was a bit strange but it wasn't a deal breaker.

I didn't really like 12, it felt like a weird single player MMO and I didn't vibe with the characters for the most part except for Balthier and Fran.
    I actually quite liked the first 13 game, the setting was interesting and the music was stellar. 13-2 though deeply offended me, two of the most annoying protagonists in gaming ever created. Didn't even bother with Lightning Returns lol.

• I think IX, XII, and VII are my favorites.

• For me it's VI, IX, and XII, and I don't want to have to pick between them. XII is there partially because I'm in love with Ivalice as a setting, but I also think it's a really good game all around. Even its story, which sticks really closely to the classic Hero's Journey with some interesting character interactions (Vaan as Ashe's foil, for example), I really love.

I'm perhaps too hyped for the PS4 remaster. I've already played the International Zodiac Job System version, the version they're remastering, but apparently they're rebalancing and tweaking the gameplay in that, so I'm excited that some things will still be new.

• Well, i'm a huge fan of the series, and to be honest with you, I don't think there is a main entry that I dislike. Of course I have my favourites and it is the PS1 trio that does it most for me. Top of the pile though is Final Fantasy VIII. It's not only my favourite FF game, but also my favourite game of all time. Almost everything about it resonates with me perfectly, I just can't fault it.

My least favourite might actually be XII, the story and setting is just not really my cup of tea, I still like the game for other aspects though. I have the same... 'distaste' towards Tactics mind you, Ivalace just isn't my thing.

• @Sheria

That's so interesting to me, because I think we probably have the opposite taste regarding FF games. FFVIII is easily my least favorite--I wouldn't call it a bad game by a long shot, and I enjoyed my time with it, but I think it's the one I'm least likely to go back to (out of the ones I've played, which doesn't include II or III). Meanwhile, FFXII (at least the IZJS version) brings me back over and over again.

It really is sort of a "what clicks with you" thing with this series, I think.

• @Thyme said in The Final Fantasy Debate:

@Sheria

That's so interesting to me, because I think we probably have the opposite taste regarding FF games. FFVIII is easily my least favorite--I wouldn't call it a bad game by a long shot, and I enjoyed my time with it, but I think it's the one I'm least likely to go back to (out of the ones I've played, which doesn't include II or III). Meanwhile, FFXII (at least the IZJS version) brings me back over and over again.

It really is sort of a "what clicks with you" thing with this series, I think.

I think the series has something for everyone really, that's why I don't really like to call one better than the other. The only game I genually feel was a bit of a missstep was XIII, but you can see why when you read what the developer said about why they made it like they did.

• My Top Five are:

• IX
    • XII
    • X
    • VIII
    • VI

I tend to prefer the ones with more realised worlds or interesting characters. VII while good is not the be all and end all of JRPGs like many claim. I just prefer the whole packages that are the games I've listed.

• @Sheria @Thyme This is precisely why I wanted to create this thread. The concept that there is something for everyone is what makes Final Fantasy an overall well-rounded RPG franchise.