Bosman v Wozniak v My 73-year-old Mother

• I've got a story that hopefully the Allies will enjoy. First, some context:

I've been video gaming for over 40 years, since Pong was new, and I haven't stopped since. I've been following and enjoying the Easy Allies crew since the pre-Defy Game Trailers days, close to 10 years now I suppose.

My 73-year-old mother, as you might expect, is not a video gamer. Her games of choice are card and board games, crosswords, Jumble, trivia and game shows on TV. However, she has had a lot of exposure to video games through me talking about them, her watching me play, and me showing her videos and other things over the years. When Game Trailers closed down earlier this year, I told her about what the crew meant to me and that I was worried they would be scattered to the winds, and then later how happy I was that the whole crew stayed together and formed Easy Allies and became one of the highest (THE highest?) funded Patreon creators. She listened to these stories with limited interest.

When I told my mother that my current favorite gaming stream is "Bosman v Wozniak" and explained what it is, she thought out loud, "Which is the bigger sin; wasting time playing Tetris on the Internet, or wasting time watching someone play Tetris on the Internet?" Shortly afterward I queued up the "Bosman v Wozniak - Week 11" video for her to watch to get an idea of what I was talking about. She ended up watching (almost) the whole thing, and said, "well, that's addictive."

I then showed her some of your other recent videos and E3 coverage, and even though she has no stake in video games, she enjoyed what I showed her, because your enthusiasm and general good humor transcend your subject matter. I just wanted to let you know that your work is appreciated even beyond your expected audience. Thank you for your efforts.

(Her, and also my, favorites of what I showed her: Ian's E3 carpet reviews and statement/response interview style, Huber's Yakusa 0 story and general enthusiasm, and Bosman's great banter and rapport while streaming.)

• @NeverTooOld said in Bosman v Wozniak v My 73-year-old Mother:

(Her, and also my, favorites of what I showed her: Ian's E3 carpet reviews and statement/response interview style, Huber's Yakusa 0 story and general enthusiasm, and Bosman's great banter and rapport while streaming.)

What did she think of, um, the rest of that video? o_0

• @Oscillator I showed her the beginning and just some highlights: the carpets, Bosman's critique of Ian's interview style, "Tormented by the Past", tarot reading and interaction with the other Allies...I skipped the vagina controller and after. But she can appreciate some abstract comedy. I tried to find the video of Bosman doing the Batman VR, but Youtube search (on a Fire TV) failed me. It should be posted on the EZA channel.

By the way, who was the camera ghost?

• This story seriously put the biggest smile on my face. Thank you for sharing! Will she be joining us for some tetris later today? :D

• @TaserCat I will be watching, and try to get her to check it out. It is midnight, but it's Friday and we're both night owls anyway. Gotta install the Twitch app on her Fire TV...

• @NeverTooOld said in Bosman v Wozniak v My 73-year-old Mother:

I tried to find the video of Bosman doing the Batman VR, but Youtube search (on a Fire TV) failed me. It should be posted on the EZA channel.

• @TaserCat said in Bosman v Wozniak v My 73-year-old Mother:

This story seriously put the biggest smile on my face. Thank you for sharing! Will she be joining us for some tetris later today? :D

@NeverTooOld said in Bosman v Wozniak v My 73-year-old Mother:

@TaserCat I will be watching, and try to get her to check it out. It is midnight, but it's Friday and we're both night owls anyway. Gotta install the Twitch app on her Fire TV...

In case anybody cares, she did not watch the stream on Friday, I think she went to bed early, and I honestly don't expect her to start watching gaming streams with any regularity. But maybe it's for the best since Kyle was not playing his best on Week 12 (the banter was on point, though). Although he did get to 200K faster than ever before at one point, right?

• Looks like Kyle mentioned this thread near the end of the show last night (Week 14). He said "grandmother", but alas, no, she's my mother...I am old. Cue the corrections music?

I showed that part of the show to my mom today, and she said (and I agree), "They're probably all so young that they can't conceive of having a mother who is 74 years old." (She had her birthday this week.) Kyle is 30, right? AFAIK the rest of the Allies (except Brandon and Don) are all in their 20s.

But, please keep the bits, Kyle. You are not a hack. (The only hack here is me, for using all these parentheticals.)

• I thought the story was going to end with your mother besting Kyle's score xD

Regardless, that was a very nice story to read. Thanks for sharing.

• I used to play Tetris with my mom all the time on NES and this series has me playing again. Though I'm not getting close to Bosman scores I think she might be able to give him a run for his money :D

• @Faaip said in Bosman v Wozniak v My 73-year-old Mother:

I used to play Tetris with my mom all the time on NES and this series has me playing again. Though I'm not getting close to Bosman scores I think she might be able to give him a run for his money :D

That's cool. My mom has never been very good at video games, and I suck at Tetris.

Since I started watching Bosman v Wosniak, I've been looking for a decent version of Tetris, something simple and pure like the Gameboy version Kyle plays. I have been disappointed in my quest. I thought I might have had something for the original Xbox or 360, but no. Looks like the only thing available for the PS4 is Tetris Ultimate, which isn't well thought of. I tried the EA version of Tetris on the Google Play store, and that is a steaming pile of hot garbage. Must one resort to emulation to find decent Tetris?

• @NeverTooOld I haven't tried to find a real emulator yet, so I've just been using this site http://www.retrogames.cz/play_136-GameBoy.php

Its not great but it works well enough for a bit of fun. I think tetris is still fairly easy to find if you have a Gameboy or gameboy color. Unfortunately I sold a lot of my gameboy stuff a long time ago