Not Buying New Games

• Hey guys, I'm in a bit of a financial situation. I'm a junior in college and am out of a job, so my money definitely isn't being allocated toward gaming as much as it used to be.

However, this has proven to be a bit of a blessing in disguise, as I'm finally feeling motivated to go back and play games I own but haven't sunken any time into. It feels great to finally plow through the Gears of War games and Just Cause 3. It finally feels like I'm playing games because I want to, and not due to a feeling of obligation to play the newest AAA blockbuster. I want Nioh, Horizon and Zelda for sure, but it's kinda nice not being able to buy them so I can focus on what I already have. Quite honestly, it's refreshing.

So, have you guys ever been in a similar situation? Or do you just have a tendency to really pick and choose new releases?

• Also a Junior in college actually, kind of in a similar situation too. I decided to give the Souls games a try as I bought Dark Souls 1 & 2 several months ago on sale but never played them. I beat Demon's Souls over the summer and kept telling myself that eventually I'd get around to it, but kept finding excuses not to.

You're right I think, in the sense that a tight budget can be a blessing in disguise, though I'm guessing I'd be singing a different tune if I lived in a less developed country.

• I'm in a similar situation now as well (recent graduate, no job). In general I try to avoid full price purchases unless its a game that I really want and know will be worth it or if its something I want to play before spoilers start flowing (Uncharted 4 is a good example).

I think its a good system. Focus on older games that you missed, wait for sales or buy used and you can save a lot of money

• There was a point in my unemployment where I didn't spend money on games for about 2 years, within that time I had to trade games at their highest values or sell them for cash and buy only the games I knew I was going to miss out on (As many niche game companies underproduce copies often) and/or abuse gamestop's used game policy.

Meaning, buy the game used...beat it within 7 days (And being unemployed that wasn't hard), then return it. Rinse/repeat.

Which for many high profile games that only last 5-10 hours the return rate is rather fast, and people regularly steal from redbox and trade the games in on the first day to gamestop too.

It's a bit of a juggle, but it definitely forces you to finally look at your backlog or wait for steam sales :)

• I rarely bought games when I was in university and I still rarely buy games at launch, mostly because I don't care enough about most games to get them at release and the backlog is big enough as it is, so I never find myself in need of games to play.

That said, since I started working I've been spending a lot of money on games, they just happen to be older games which I care for mostly for collecting purposes.

• Buying new games is for chumps!

So are doors and shoelaces.

• I'm not super familiar with the term junior college, but when I was first starting university I was in a tight financial situation that lasted for about 4 years. This was right around the time of Halo and some of the best times of my life were during those times. We would get together at my buddies house every Friday night and just hang, drink a few beers, play the one copy of halo we had between the 6 of us and play with our old magic the gathering cards.

I now am in a position where I can buy a game without thinking about it which is nice. Its a different phase of life for sure. If it were not for my kids, I would give up my financial security to go back to a lifestyle where I had more time but less money to spend with the people that I love.

The constant acquisition of new things is not worth it in and of itself. Good on you for recognizing that. cheers dude

• Joining in on the same boat train (lol). Backlog is large, and I'm dying to play some new games like Nioh, or South Park, but it's not too hard to game on a budget with some self control.

I just discovered what Raspberry Pi 3 is and I intend on making one of those and finally playing the classics.

• Banned

I buy new games EXCLUSIVELY.

If it's a week old I never buy it.

• I have 'tried' to limit myself on a couple of occasions over the last decade, but never been able to keep it up. I've never been in a time or financial situation where I needed to though, it was more a personal choice to try and have a bit of a change in my life.

The vast majority of my purchases are day one and tend to grab everything I have an interest in. I'm still consistently playing older games or games from my backlog though, I don't find my recent purchases effect it really. There's the odd exception like Resident Evil 7, but normally I just play something off my shelf without any thought as to what generation it was from as pretty much all my consoles are set up throughout various rooms of the house.

I've actually picked up quite a few from 2017 already as it was a really strong January imo. Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0, Kingdom Hearts 2.8, Resident Evil 7, Tales of Berseria... I left Fate/Extella for a later date, but Nioh is tempting tomorrow.

• I've made the conscious decision to stop buying a lot of games as soon as they are released mainly because I realised that I don't have the time or the money anymore.

Work and having a kid is taking up a lot of my time and cash (babies are expensive and require constant attention, who knew?!) so rather than spending a fortune adding to my pile of shame I am limiting myself to only buying the odd really big game that I know will consume my life at launch (here's looking at you Zelda/Switch) while the rest can wait for price drops and when I've cleared some of my backlog.

I've also gone back to my teenage years of playing the trade in game at various stores with games in my library I know I won't ever play again. The end result of which is that I have got my Switch paid for in store credit at GAME just from clearing out my collection of games. Mainly PS3, 360 and Wii U games along with a small pile of PS4 titles. The only physical games I'm keeping are the ones that would give me bugger all trade in value, games that I know I want to play again in the future, games that are pinnacles of their genres and games I have still yet to play/finish. It was a cathartic experience and it help reaffirm my opinion that I was buying too many crap games for the sake of it.

• As part of the lower working class and aromantic foreveraloner, I just buy the games I want most of the times. I have price limits though, like I want Gravity Rush 2 but for some reason in my country it's imo overpriced, costs more than Yakuza 0 or Resident Evil 7 atm, so I'm gonna wait for a little drop.
    Even if I know I will not play it right when I buy it, to me it's also about support, especially for niche publishers like IFI, Xseed/Marvelous Europe and PQube.

• I've noticed I've become a little stingy when it comes to buying new games in full price. Last year there were only Uncharted 4 and Deus Ex that filled my hype levels and I got them immediately. This year? Not many, to be honest. South Park, Tekken 7, RDR2 if it comes out in 2017.

So I lag behind the gaming world in that sense, but now I get to buy "three for one", as I pick last year's games for 20 euros etc. I think this is a working balancing act for me at the moment, getting a few games on Day 1 and then the majority of my purchases from "the last year's pile".

• Unless it's a online-only game, there is no rush to buy games. Unless you really want to give developers the full cash for the game as soon as possible, there is no reason to feel bad for giving them less money later. Most developers care more about the fact that people enjoy their game, as long as they get enough to live by.

• I'm getting some new-buyers remorse seeing games like Watch Dogs 2 on sale for $30, Titanfall 2 for $30, a month or two after release. I'm fortunate with my job, and can afford to buy games that are new, but I need to save up to buy a house soon.

I've bought Yakuza 0, Nioh, and For Honor. I'm on Chapter 10 of Yakuza 0, and I desperately want to finish Yakuza/Nioh before Zelda comes out, and still get some For Honor time in.

This'll sound really "must be nice" but its its a pain in the ass to sort of have the money to buy a game when the allies are hyping it up, and not having the time to really play it. Forcing myself to wait when I already have games to play is probably the best strategy.

• I try to base my decisions on what to buy day one on games I think will need the support, so I guess I'm doing the opposite of playing the must play AAA releases.

Stuff like Yakuza Zero, Gravity Rush 2 etc probably need the sales and people talking about it more than your uncharteds and the like

• @Mango Junior means your third year of college/university. At least in the US.. I'm not sure if the term is used elsewhere

• I dont really buy games day one anymore. I wait till the end of the month once all that months games come out then pick and choose from the best and leave the junk games behind.

• I try not to overload my backlog more than it already is, so I tend to strategize my purchases. I rarely buy games at launch, unless they're masterpieces or part of my favorite series.

In January I had to make a very tough choice between Yakuza 0 and Resident Evil 7, and in the end I picked up Yakuza 0 because I felt it needed the support more. Also Resident Evil 7 has a season pass so I might as well wait for the definitive edition. Probably won't play it until much later in the year then.

March is going to kill me, between the Switch, Horizon, Nier, South Park and Mass Effect, it's going to super painful to leave some games behind.

• This post is deleted!