What's missing in the Video Game industry?

• Hello, Easy Allies!

I am creating this thread in hopes of gathering feedback from like-minded gamers out there.

A little background on me: CarlosX360 was created in 2005 when Xbox 360 was just coming out. I've been writing about Video Games since 2001. Some of you may remember the Metal Gear Rising Theories article that was posted on Xbox Evolved. I wrote that. It was one of the top 10 articles at XE.

In 2008, I launched my first blog. And has been writing independently since then. I went from there, to acquiring some of the biggest names in gaming today. I launched and still launch niche websites. But game journalism itself is dying because of a few factors - ads is declining, game journalism is facing harsh times with GamerGate, "crappy" journalism, and clickbaiting of users. I've always been in the mindset of "quality trumps quantity." I've always strived to write high quality articles. I'm 34, I love video games with every bone, fiber, and cell in my body.

Right now, I am at a point where I have accomplished some of the goals that I've set for myself thus far. But I'm ambitious. I want to go far in this industry.

Over the years, I've been thinking about expanding my company to go outside of game journalism. I've been gathering 1 Million Sessions (Visits), 850k Users (Unique Visitors), and 2 Million Pageviews worldwide. Now is time to look bigger, farther down the road. Start thinking financially.

My question to you: What is missing in the Video Game industry? What is a void that you feel is missing? What do you want me to fill?

Some ideas off the bat:

Social Network for gamers - this is a sector that's oversaturated, but nobody's #1 in this space. It doesn't have to compete against facebook, but rather, the leader in video games' own social media. There still hasn't been a way to communicate with developers in depth.

Redbox for gamers - Redbox rents games, but it's a second niche for Redbox, it does not favor gaming. It gives more focus to DVD/Blu Ray films. Every time a new game comes out for Redbox, there's always a 2 week wait. And it only rents the biggest blockbuster games. There's also gamefly, but gamefly feeds a different kind of demographic in the games industry. Blockbuster and Hollywood Video(s) have bankrupted and closed down.

eSports - It's a hot sector right now. And is oversaturated.
    Tournaments - It's oversaturated, but the door is open to just about anyone who wants in the pie.
    Streaming - Twitch is the leader, against YouTube, and is oversaturated.

So, please tell me what you want.

Before you say "I want x type of video game" just realize that it costs millions of dollars in capital to develop or publish a video game right now. It's in my plans to make a video game, juuuuuust not now.

• Making VR compelling?

For me at least one thought I had was game creators need to look back in time to early arcades and the Atari 2600, I feel like they jumped into the deep end and don't really know how to swim.

to keep my thought short VR does not need a Call of Duty it needs a Pac-Man at least that is how I feel.

• I want games to go back to being about the games, not about which niche audience might buy more copies, not which content they should change as to not offend x group, not which "Pro" gamers or "Youtube/twitch" stars will play it.

Just pure honest awesome games, no gimmicks, no PR shtick, no BS.

• Variety.

Lately, it feels to me that everything is either AAA dark gritty third-person action/COD clones/GTA clones or VR/indie, with the occasional revived franchise that's a shadow of its former self in one way or another (usually more flash, less substance).

I miss the PS2/GC/Xbox era, where the big publishers took more risks, and more mid-tier publishers existed as well. Indie is too low-budget/non-mainstream to fill the gap, aside from the very occasional heavily promoted Kickstarter.

• Companies taking chances on new IP. Back in the ps2 era it was new thing after new thing, and don't get me wrong, there was sequels everywhere too, but the majority of them felt like they were truly improving upon each one If a new IP comes out and does well enough that they look into a sequel that really feels like "hey these improvements and new ideas justify a sequel here" then great. But lately its a matter of "we are making this new game but its already confirmed its got 3 or more sequels coming down the line so please look forward to this franchise" instead of "look we made a new game its got some cool ideas and we worked hard to make it the best it can be and maybe if it does well we can make a sequel/spiritual successor that builds upon these gameplay ideas and takes them to new heights. I'll take a shot at Ubisoft here and say when a new game comes out for something like assassins creed it honestly feels like when a new iphone comes out. check out these minuscule improvements but overall its the same game please buy it and look forward to the next one.

• Financial sense. We're heading for a massive burst because they are throwing massive amounts of money for things that don't really matter. Don't get me wrong, graphics are very important (why else do they sell high end video cards for PCs and mention how many bits/bytes of RAM a console's processor has) but there's a limit as to how much people really need to have a fun game.

It's gotten to the point that the average game has a start up cost of about 60USD (80CDN up here in Canuckistan) and then they nail you for about another 20 to 60USD for 'DLC', which means that in the long run, you're paying about $100 for one game that you may not play more than a month or two.

Ignore the politicians wanting to kill this hobby, we're doing it to ourselves.

• More games that are products of pure love for games, not profit. Stop trying to make as many bucks with as little work as possible, and expect us to be happy (I'm looking at you EA).
    Following that, no more exclusives. Let everyone play the game you've made. Let as many people enjoy it as possible.
    Sure, you need to pay the work you've put into the product, but exclusive games make desire for profit a higher priority than a desire to share a game.

• Games need to start focusing on more complex worlds and social interactions with environments and NPC's and less on making your world the most open world it can be filled with fluff.

• @CGamor7 said in What's missing in the Video Game industry?:

Games need to start focusing on more complex worlds and social interactions with environments and NPC's and less on making your world the most open world it can be filled with fluff.

I agree. I feel like games need more intimacy in their world building. It should never be about size, it should be more about believability.

I personally want to see games with more scope. I love games that have a plot that will play out across a series of games far ahead of time. I feel most game series fly by the seat of their pants when it comes to plot. I know it doesn't make sense business wise as you can't predict a game's success, but a man can dream.

• Down to earth main characters who don't have crazy powers, or are not thrust into amazing & fantastical adventures. Let's have a story about a garbage man who deals with real world issues or something who doesn't get a happy ending. One without any closure, and one where the other characters have to come to terms with the events that transpired.