Yakuza - What is it?. Where do I Begin?

• So I just recently became interested in the series but with all the remakes and remasters and names I am confused.

I have a brief idea of what to expect from it but where do I start. I have a PS4. Should I wait for Kiwami

• Well I'm new to the series too, I just picked up Yakuza 0, which is a prequel that just came out. So as far as I know, this is the best place to start!

• I think Yakuza 0 is a good way to start, that's what I'm doing right now. After that you could play Yakuza 1 on PS2 but that one has english voice acting which did put me off back then already, so I'm glad we get Kiwami which is a remake of it.

After that you can play the series in numbered order 2-5 with 6 coming out next year.

• Yakuza 3 has a video explaining the plot of Yakuza 1 & 2. Yakuza 4 does the same thing for 1, 2 & 3 i believe and i don't know about Yakuza 5 but you can pretty much start anywhere. Yakuza 0 is probably a good place to start but the Yakuza games are really long...0, 3, 4 & 5 is gonna take you a while.

• Start with Yakuza 0.

If you like it, then Kiwami (a remake of Yakuza 1) comes out this summer.

• For everyone jumping from Kiwami to Yakuza 6

Edit: there was a tweet from Yakuza Twitter that got deleted, see below for link

• Star with 0 and Kiwami, if you don't have access to a ps4, yakuza 3 is a good start with videos from the previous games to catch you up

• @TokyoSlim I feel like there was supposed to be more to your post.

• @Musou-Tensei Yakuza's English dub is amazing. Much like Ichi the Killer's dub, the insanity of it is what makes it so great. Hamill as Majima? Brilliant.

• @Musou-Tensei

I posted a tweet from the official Yakuza twitter, with a link to a graphical timeline/video catch up but for some reason they deleted the tweet.

So yeah. There was.

I think it's here:

• @El-Shmiablo said in Yakuza - What is it?. Where do I Begin?:

@Musou-Tensei Yakuza's English dub is amazing. Much like Ichi the Killer's dub, the insanity of it is what makes it so great. Hamill as Majima? Brilliant.

Thank god someone said it.

• @TokyoSlim

I'm not sure if I wanna do the Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami, then Yakuza 6 jump or maybe play them throughout the year or just watch recaps from Yakuza 2-5 online. Is this interactive comic for the entire series plot or just Yakuza 1? I ask because I intend on beating Kiwami before March and don't want anything spoiled.

• @DIPSET The comic is kinda weirdly parsed and spoilery. Was talking about the interactive timeline, which so far is a recap of major plot points and cutscenes from Y0 through Y3 by year. I think the plan is to have it caught up by the time 6 comes out.

So, if you're still playing Kiwami, don't look at any of it yet, I guess. :)

In my own personal opinion, playing all of the Yakuza games in sequence "throughout the year" at this point is kind of insane anyways. I mean - I started playing at 4. Went back to 3, then did 1 and 2. Then did Zero and just finished Kiwami last week at like 65 hours (so 1 again) but that's been like 3 or 4 years or whatever. Still haven't even started 5 yet. Own it, but don't have a PS3 anymore. It's another 100+ hour game. I'd be playing that until August.

I honestly see nothing wrong with finishing Kiwami, watching a bunch of recap videos, and then playing 6, then going back for Kiwami 2 next year or whenever that drops. It's probably better than trying to play through 5 Yakuza games in a year.

• @TokyoSlim

Best response I could have. Thanks Tokyo! Is it true Yakuza sequels have recaps of the prior games? Cause maybe I can just watch the recaps when Yakuza 6 comes out.

• @DIPSET Yep. Grab some popcorn.

• @DIPSET I know that 4 had recaps, but I don't remember 5 having them.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.