Cool Cover Art Appreciation

• Hey Allies, let's post some cool cover art.

I've started to get a little frustrated with cover art on new games, since it seems like they are losing creativity. The biggest violation of them all seems to be the way that so many games just put a generic picture of: 'Picture of dude with [insert weapon] looking awesome'.This has been grinding my gears ever since the new Doom game. The original Doom had such amazing cover art, and for this iteration they just stuck 'generic helmet dude with gun looking awesome' on the cover. It's almost like these developers' advertising execs are showing them focus group reports that state, "we found that consumers in your target age bracket respond X% better to a picture of a dude with a gun looking awesome" so they all do it. Even great games like The Witcher 3 and Uncharted 4 are guilty of this.

Back in the NES and SNES days there was some great hand-drawn covert art. I even like when games create a cool logo and just put that on the cover, like Mortal Kombat and Skyrim. Blizzard made a nice Overwatch logo that gets used all over that game, but they didn't use it on the cover, they just put 'Tracer with gun looking awesome.'

Some cool cover art:

Doom
    alt text

Ninja Gaiden II
    alt text

Castlevania
    alt text

Super Castlevania IV
    alt text

Turtles in Time
    alt text

Borderlands
    alt text

Wolfenstein The New Order - has 'dude with gun', but at least it's stylized will, has nice lettering, and it's the enemy rather than the protagonist
    alt text

Skyrim
    alt text

• Obligatory

I don't know what's cool anymore...

• @Mechanoid Haha, yes, this might be the #1 WTF cover in gaming history. When did Megaman ever use a glock?

• @V8Dave Lol I know right? The artist must have been high AF.

• Here's a few I like

alt text

alt text

alt text

• Gradius (no dumb logos and stuff)

Ultima V (Origin used to have some awesome covers)

Fatal Fury (Andy what did they do to you?)

• Double dragon II
    alt text

I feel more hype for cover art of sequels. Just playing off of the good feels from the original game.

MK II simple but effective
    alt text

Anyone else used to just stare at the game cartridge art while waiting for your turn to use the TV?

• @matt Yup. Unfortunately I get a really good look at covers nowadays due to day 1 patches :rolling_eyes:

• alt text

I love how happy those cows are. They have no idea what's coming.

alt text

Really any Final fantasy box art. They're nice and simple.

• @V8Dave said in Cool Cover Art Appreciation:

Hey Allies, let's post some cool cover art.

I've started to get a little frustrated with cover art on new games, since it seems like they are losing creativity. The biggest violation of them all seems to be the way that so many games just put a generic picture of: 'Picture of dude with [insert weapon] looking awesome'.This has been grinding my gears ever since the new Doom game. The original Doom had such amazing cover art, and for this iteration they just stuck 'generic helmet dude with gun looking awesome' on the cover. It's almost like these developers' advertising execs are showing them focus group reports that state, "we found that consumers in your target age bracket respond X% better to a picture of a dude with a gun looking awesome" so they all do it. Even great games like The Witcher 3 and Uncharted 4 are guilty of this.

My fave thing about the Doom cover was the poll about what picture would be on the reversible cover.

alt text
    Basically it's just what the cover should have been all along.

• @matt Cartridges are a whole other discussion. Combined with this cool cover art, they felt so much more special than disks.

• It has a metallic sheen to it:

alt text

Also...

alt text

...which is based on a actual game show:

Youtube Video

• Gotta put this one on.
    alt text

This as well.
    alt text

And this.
    alt text

• Here are some mine suggestions:

alt text
    No man's sky

alt text
    Okami

alt text
    The Journey

alt text
    Civ 5

alt text
    Talos principle

• @Nillend I'm starting to wish more covers had cats...

• Global Moderator

I think its a bit like with film posters/covers. Back in the days they were a little more creative and fun. Now they are "lol main character with weapon or back to back".

I loved to have my games standing on my shelf so I could see the art. Now I just got them stacked like books.

I do like these though!

alt text

alt text

alt text

alt text

• alt text
    alt text

• alt text
    alt text

• alt text

^ This one will forever be a favorite. I'm a little disappointed they chose to sell the game using the bland version of just Booker up front, but at least the cover was reversible and this beauty was printed on the other side.

• @SabotageTheTruth
    Holy shit that's a million times better.