Torment: Tides of Numenera (PC/PS4/XB1)

• There hasn't been any talk around these parts about this game, nor among the Allies themselves, and I find it curious.

For those of you who don't know, this game is the spiritual successor of Planescape: Torment, which is widely regarded as one of the very best CRPGs of all time, particularly for its story. In terms of gameplay and presentation, it's in a similar vein to Baldur's Gate or the more recent Pillars of Eternity (glowingly reviewed by Ben Moore back in the day).

Baldur's Gate is my favorite RPG series but since I don't have a gaming PC anymore I haven't played any game of that genre since. Thankfully, Torment is coming out on consoles too, and gameplay videos show that the UI seems elegant!

It's coming out this month! February 28th! Is nobody excited by this?

Check out the latest story trailer:

• feeling bad for not playing more than 5 hours of Pillars after having backed it, can't really justify getting this after playing that more.

• I just got the early access game a few days ago on steam. I'm enjoying it, but I am having a hard time with all the reading lol. Not use to it. Ive played around 6 hours and I've been in one fight (in the tutorial) and avoided 2 others. I've tried Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 a few times and I cant get into them. This is more enjoyably to me. It feels like a choose your own adventure book. I also just visited the second district in the first town. Sooooo many people to talk to.... I really dont think this game is going to jive with a lot of people. But its definitely more RPG then most RPG games out right now. You actually role play... go figure.

• Loved the Infinity Engine games, but I can't say that I'm that hyped for this. A lot of things about it has me sceptical, like the turn-based combat.

• @suplextrain I personally like the turn based combat over something like Balder's gate where you have to control 4 people at the same time telling them what to do all in real time. But that's my personal preference. What kind of combat you want?

• @CGamor7 said in Torment: Tides of Numenera Hype!:

It feels like a choose your own adventure book. Sooooo many people to talk to.... But its definitely more RPG then most RPG games out right now. You actually role play... go figure.

Music to my ears!

• @CGamor7 said in Torment: Tides of Numenera Hype!:

@suplextrain I personally like the turn based combat over something like Balder's gate where you have to control 4 people at the same time telling them what to do all in real time. But that's my personal preference. What kind of combat you want?

First as a throwback game it not having real-time-with-pause feels wrong, second turn-based combat slows the game down. The first game was never about combat and with realtime it went by faster or you could just run past enemies (you couldn't talk your way through).
    While I love many games with turn-based combat I generally prefer real-time (I for example loved playing in real-time in Fallout Tactics instead of the molasses slow turn-based pace from the prior games).

• I backed this game nearly four years ago, and soon... I'm excited to finally play it :D

I could have played in early access, but I didn't feel like doing that with this game. But soon...

• @jipostus

I never followed the creation of the game but I heard they took things out from what was promised. What's your thoughts on that?

• I'm really hyped for this game, already have it preordered on XBL.

• I remember picking up Planescape: Torment at a Big Lots several years ago for about a dollar or so. While I never finished it, I certainly spent a lot of time with it and it was dripping with atmosphere. I was going to say I'll unfortunately have to pass on this one as I don't own a strong PC but hey... PS4 release! I think I may just need to dive in.

• @CGamor7 That's some of the strech goal stuff, and that doesn't really bummer me, but I hope they can do some of that later down the line as added content. At least the Italian translations. But reason I backed it was that I loved Planescape: Torment back in the day, so getting a spiritual successor to that sounds just amazing, and this studio has decent track record, so I'm down.

• Game is out now. What you all think? I haven't played since early access.

• @CGamor7 I have it installed, yet I haven't had the time to play it yet. Later today I will start my playthrough.

• So... did anyone end up playing this?

It's on sale right now on PS4 and there's been a couple performance patches and content updates. Seems like the right time to dive in but I need a couple positive impressions to push me over the edge!

• @Axel said in Torment: Tides of Numenera - (PC/PS4/XB1):

So... did anyone end up playing this?

It's on sale right now on PS4 and there's been a couple performance patches and content updates. Seems like the right time to dive in but I need a couple positive impressions to push me over the edge!

Got it and played it around release. Sunk a few hours in but it never really grabbed me. The characters were also pretty bland.

• I played for several hours so far, and the game crashed on me once, I'll continue at some point. Can't say much because of this, but so far, it's okay.

• Personally I'd say that out of these more "recent" classic style western RPGs Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2, Divinity: Original Sin and Tyranny (to a lesser extent) were my favorites.
    PoE didn't quite reach the highs of the Baldurs Gate series, but it's still a great game and did fix some stuff with the gameplay from the BG series. Also coming to console this fall.
    Wasteland 2 is a solid Fallout-esque game also out on console.
    Divinity: Original Sin is probably the best "roleplaying" game in recent memory. It has a really cool co-op integration and is also out on console.
    Tyranny did some neat and interesting stuff, but fell flat in some areas.

For me, I'd rank this Planescape game below these. That said, it's still a solid game.

• I might wait for Pillars of Eternity then, the console edition looks great and includes all the DLC. And since the sequel is shaping up nicely, maybe it's best to invest myself in this series rather than Torment.

• @suplextrain I just started playing Divinity Original Sin on the PS4 and that game is pretty great. So close to feeling like a D&D game, and the co op is great. Might have to try Pillars when that comes out on consoles.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.