Splatoon 2 (NS)

• @Jacques said:

I see level 30+ guys (not that level is an indicator of skill, but still) with golden Aerosprays all the time.

That's exactly what I'm talking about with falling into the trap of using them too long.

I'd say longer range weapons are better for beginners cause it's easier to get a kill.

Longer range weapons require more precision aim and ink management. Aerospray is so ink efficient that for turf it can take back a large area of turf even when being pressured by the opposing team if they're not coordinated.

Anyway whenever I'm in a team with nothing but Aerosprays we usually win.

Random teams don't always know they have to keep splatting the Aerospray users to keep them out of the match since they can ink much quicker than other weapons. No matter how one sided a match is, if in the last 30 seconds the Aerospray team gets a chance (applies to other super ink efficient weapons too) they can take back majority turf for a win.

And if I'm not, whoever has the Aerospray usually has the highest inking rate, which is kinda important in Turf War :)

The thing is it's only so important. At low levels before teams know really what to do you can get away with it, but at higher levels it only takes one player knowing what they're doing to take an entire team of Aerosprays out of the match with superior range, and there's nothing the Aerospray user can do against this. When I see a team of Aerosprays I see an easy win.

@CGamor7 said:

I use that weapon for ranked all the time, and not to sound arrogant but I do just fine and am one of the top players in the match most the time. So as of now I can't say I agree with you.

I'd ask what rank you are and what mode. Ranked is a bit wonky right now, because there's not enough players playing it, so the game is very forgiving for losses and is power ranking people who win lots of matches in a row up to the higher ones. It should even out in the next couple months.

it's great for splatting quick paths to the objective especially right of the start and it handles well in close quarters.

Well, it is good for area control, which can be important in Ranked, but again you'll get bullied by longer ranged weapons which are way more common in Ranked unless you use ambush tactics. There's just better options that can win encounters at mid range and still maintain good enough area control.

Anyways, you can use what you want. I just encourage you to try out many different weapons. Trust me, I've heard people arguing for the Aerospray before. It was a very popular weapon back in Splatoon 1 too... for the first month or so until people realized how easy they are to bully. I just don't want to see yall invest too much time in a weapon that's ultimately not going to pay off in the longrun. And don't forget, while inking turf is important for winning matches in Turf Wars, there's a hard limit to the amount of exp/money you can earn from inking turf during a match in Splatoon 2, so don't feel discouraged from trying out other things. You'll learn to make up for the less turf per second in greater area denial, which are much better habits to form for performing well in Ranked.

• Switched back to the NES Zapper. Good ink coverage, better range. Miss the curling bombs though. But actually being able to splat someone from a distance makes up for it.

• @Mbun right now I'm a B in area control since I play it the most. And yeah I can agree that a team of aerospray is horrible. A team of all the same weapon usually is horrible. I think having one aerospray can be important but we will see. I've only kept using it as of now because I'm at super fresh rank with it and I want to keep it going lol. But as of now I enjoy splatting quick paths and coming up behind ppl and splatting them. I also enjoyed the paint brush weapon too. Sorry don't know any of the names lol.

Maybe when I get better with motion I'll use long range, because it's the only way for sure. But up close I like the analog.

• Yeah I'm back to the Aerospray, I kinda molded my whole style of play around it. And as CGamor7 said, I think every good team has at least one guy with an Aerospray in it. Only in bigger stages I'll use the NES Zapper.

• @CGamor7 If you use the Octobrush variant of the Inkbrush you can do very well with that, although right now it's kind of brokenly good, so expect nerfs coming sometime to it.
    @Jacques Just keep trying stuff out. Play Salmon Run if you need an excuse to force yourself to try new weapon types.

• Anyone tried the separate joy cons with motion control scheme? I did for a bit today after reading an article on how it's the ultimate way to play and I definitely get the appeal. Thing is that the motion sensor is only in the right joy con, so you only have to move your right hand to aim, which feels a lot more natural than aiming with both hands. It reminded me of the Wii nunchuck + remote control scheme, which was always my favorite way to play shooters on a console, especially Metroid Prime on the Wii. While this isn't nearly that accurate because of the no 1/1 pointer controls of the Wii remote, it's still very intuitive. I feel if the joy cons were a bit heavier it would be more stable though. Anyway, I think I'm gonna go forward with this control scheme.

• @Jacques Oh cool, I didn't know it worked like that! I loved that setup when playing the Metroid Prime Trilogy on Wii. Definitely going to try it tonight.

• Okay, separate joy con, motion on, motion sensitivity +4 or maxed out, stick sensitivity +1.
    Try that for an hour and tell me that isn't the best way to play!
    Also I'm starting to dig the regular old splattershot.

• What's with ppl not painting the teams half of the controlled map properly in turf war!? Seriously 9/10 times if I don't, no one does. Blank spots everywhere. So next time if your wondering how you lost 54% to 46% even when you dominated the match you'll know why! Paint everything! Just had to vent lol.

• @CGamor7 Are you sure they don't do it though? Cause what usually happens is players will first hurry to the middle of the map to defend their territory. Then if someone gets splatted and go back to the spawnpoint they'll splat their hometurf more before they go back into battle. At least that's how I do it.

• @Jacques yeah that's a fair strategy I typically do that too. But I've been changing things up and I've been rushing back to paint our area in the last 30 seconds of the match because no one did it. I've witnessed this 9/10 games I played not being the person to splat the area over many matches.

• @CGamor7 That's very uncommon to me, although I do a fair bit of hometurf inking myself. What level are you at? Maybe if you're at a beginning level more players forget it or something..

• @Jacques 20 lol. Yeah I was surprised too. Maybe it was an isolated case. I know that most know to do that already, right? I've been playing mostly ranked. Maybe it's tagged me as the home turf inker and it matches me with those that aren't... lol. I doubt it.

I was reading today that they apparently match playstyles. Ppl who splat more with others that splat lots and painters with others that paint more. Not sure if true or how complex the matching is. Thought it was interesting seeing has how I was wrecking everyone to being wrecked by everyone. Or maybe I've just started to be bad.

• That's happened to me too, especially in the past few days. Don't know if that's a coincidence or not.

• @CGamor7 Oh you're playing ranked? I never bother inking a lot in ranked. It goes to a KO most of the time anyway, feel like inking home turf is a waste of time when you're supposed to be defending your zone/tower/rainmaker.

• @Jacques sorry for the confusion, the painting turf issue was on turf wars. I was just saying I typically play ranked but when I went back to turf I noticed no one painting the turf, like everyone didn't think it mattered.

• Started trying to get to B- rank so i can finally do league matches. glad im still good after a little break from the game

• @CGamor7 its better than everyone trying to ink everything in splat zones

• I've been thinking about buying those silly joy con battery pack add-ons, not for battery life but just to make the joy cons heavier and more substantial. Seeing as how separate joy cons is easily my preferred control scheme for Splatoon I think it might make everything more stable. Thoughts?

• Octo Expansion has been out for a couple days now. Just finished 100%ing it. Gr8 experience overall. Obviously don't want to say too much since it is still close to release, but I'll say I definitely think it is worth the $20 asking price. Just keep in mind these challenge rooms are quite literally challenging. They cranked the difficulty way up for this. You will struggle and fail as you learn rooms, so if that kind of thing frustrates you and you're looking for a more chill experience, this isn't the expansion for you. The struggle is real, but the atmosphere is tops with all the new music and sound design they made just for this, more new tracks in particular than I expected. The new characters are pretty fun. There's some lore to be had, which localization must've really struggled to translate, but felt like they did a good job. Especially great job with all the 80s references in room names. There's also some rewards from it you can take back to multiplayer with your new Octoling, including something for 100% if you're up to the task. Personally, 100%ing felt worth pushing through for, just don't be like me and play for long chunks at once. My arm was cramped up and going numb by the time I finished.