Splatoon 2 (NS)

• @Mbun Thanks for that. If all Splatoon players are as helpful as you I'll have a jolly good time :)

• Game Looks Beautiful!

• Enjoying it ALOT!
    Is it possible to make some kind of Easy Allies room?

• yeah we should try to party up sometime

• I got the game last week under peer pressure, and was convinced I would regret it because I'm not into competitive shooters at all, that's the one genre I abhor...

And I LOVE Splatoon 2!

The single-player is fun although more effort could have been made to tie the levels together, either narratively or geographically. As it stands, the campaign is just a succession of videogame levels following each other with no rhyme or reason.

And the multiplayer, what a revelation! I suck at it but I still have fun, I feel like I'm contributing to every match, by inking this or that spot, killing that one guy, etc. It helps that I was playing with a friend (voice chatting through whatsapp or discord, obviously), and it actually feels better to not be hearing anyone else, because I'm sure the abuse I would receive would make me quit the game harder than Huber quit Overwatch.

But the main event is undoubtedly Salmon Run. This is the mode made for people like me, coop PvE goodness! I probably put 4-5 hours into that mode alone over the weekend, I couldn't stop. Got 2 other friends together so we almost had a full team and it was glorious. Giving nicknames to each enemy type and alerting each other to their presence, calling for help, calling for retreat, it's a frantic experience and probably the most pure fun I've had in a game in quite a while.

I just want to play it more!

• @Axel I have yet to touch the campaign. But it doesn't seem all that interesting based on your description. For now I'm playing a lot of multiplayer. I am enjoying it quite a bit. It did take me some time to start to enjoy it because I sucked at first, but now I am doing pretty good once I stopped listening to everyone say that motion controls are the definitive way to play. Sorry, they're not. So stop pretending they are lol. There's only one thing that drives me crazy with the game. Every time you boot it up you have to sit through those two chat about the stages. it annoys me every time lol.

Now I've noticed I can accesses the salmon run area and did the training. So I'll try some of that soon.

• @CGamor7 said:

once I stopped listening to everyone say that motion controls are the definitive way to play. Sorry, they're not. So stop pretending they are lol

It's not a joke though. They are. All the top ranked and competitive players use them. You can't move fast enough with only the sticks. It's something I see lots of people being stubborn about, but you just have to dig in and learn them or you'll hit a wall you'll never get past. It's easier to adjust to them just by playing lots with them on. Don't make the mistake of staying away from them, because it makes adjusting to them later tougher. Also, the campaign acts as a tutorial, so next time multiplayer servers are under maintenance or whatever dip your toes in and try it out. It's a good way of getting the hang of some weapons in a less stressful environment. Just be aware the stats of the campaign weapons are better than their multiplayer counterparts, stuff like more ink efficient and longer ranges and damage, so you'll have to adjust to that when you get back to multiplayer.

Shifty Station (Mystery Zone in Japanese)
    This mystery zone will only be available during splatfests as a third stage and will change appearance every splatfest.

• It's really pretty much the consensus that motion control, because there is no auto aim ( and you really can't have that type of thing in this game anyway) the motion controls allow for the precision that analog sticks could never have. Watching Frametrap, even damiani falls into the notion that motion controls are bad, even though you could see him struggling in singleplayer. It's probably not bad if you main rollers and brushes though.
    Play it how you want, but it will be easier if you master the motion controls earlier rather than later.

• @Mbun yeah I know, that's what everyone keeps saying. But I'm sure there's gotta be one "pro" that uses analog (maybe not...) All I can say is what I see. I have no problems splatting ppl and 9/10 times I'm the top of my team. Maybe when I get to higher ranked matches I'll start to see the difference and will contemplate my choice then. Until then analog it be. For the campaign I'll try and use motion. I do still refuse to believe that someone using analog can't compete with top players. However, for using precision weapons I can completely agree. I avoid the sniper rifle.

It's not like there isn't ppl in this world that can draw better with their feet than ppl who draw with their hands...

• @CGamor7 said:

But I'm sure there's gotta be one "pro" that uses analog

I'm sure such a person exists, but they're the exception to the rule or probably a roller or brush since those weapons have special reasons to not use gyro (basically equates to moving forward while watching your back) and don't need the accuracy boost from gyro most of the time. In Splatoon 1, I would've just told people who hated gyro to main one of those weapons, but Splatoon 2 has stuff like Salmon Run that requires you to play different weapons, so you're better off learning the gyro as it enhances so many weapon classes and is detrimental to none, just a sidegrade to having it off for the very small number of weapon classes I mentioned before, but right now rollers are really bad in Splatoon 2 anyways, so even less of a reason to not use gyro.

I know lots of people struggle with them, and I like to compare it to when people talked about playing a 3D game with analog stick for the first time. It's going to feel insane for you at first. You're not going to like how it feels, you're probably going to wave around unsteadily and aim slightly off from where you want to, and you might even panic at moments and the gyro will cost you a splat or two. Just stick with it though. Stick with it until it becomes second nature to you. Once you steady out you'll start forming instinctive habits of tilting your controller in for extra speed and accuracy right when you need it and you'll notice a huge difference over if you weren't using it. It's not quite mouse and keyboard precision, but it's probably the closest thing to it you can get on a console without a special controller.

• @Mbun I mostly use the automatic splat guns. The one that looks like it has a tin can on it is my weapon of choice for the time being. Your probably right on the gyro allowing for more efficiency for a variety of weapons. I do like how they implemented it in Zelda. That's what bothers me the most about it, that it not like Zelda. Hate not being able to still use the vertical control. I heard using the joycons off the console works really well.

• @CGamor7 You must mean an Aerospray. They're okay for beginners in Turf, but people kinda scoff at them, because lots of players use nothing but those for way too long and don't ever move on when they're really not that great, especially outside of Turf Wars. Do not even think of bringing them into ranked where players use much longer ranged weapons. Your teammates will hate you. They used to be one of the weapons for quickly ranking up in Turf Wars during Splatoon 1, because you used to get experience for the amount of turf you inked. In Splatoon 2 they changed it, so as long as you ink over 500p of turf you get a set exp bonus and nothing more, allowing for people to use weapons that cover less turf but support their team through splats and assists more without getting point shafted in that mode.

I haven't bothered with the separate Joycon thing since the first demo. I got a Pro Controller when I got my Switch at launch, because I heard the gyro was in one of the Joycons, so their center of balance is different than what I was used to from Splatoon 1. It's basically a matter of personal preference though. People prefer different setups.

• I find the Aerospray to be perfect for Turf War. And not just for beginners too, I see level 30+ guys (not that level is an indicator of skill, but still) with golden Aerosprays all the time. I'd say longer range weapons are better for beginners cause it's easier to get a kill. If you rock an Aerospray you better start practicing your close combat moves or you're going to get splatted A LOT. Anyway whenever I'm in a team with nothing but Aerosprays we usually win. And if I'm not, whoever has the Aerospray usually has the highest inking rate, which is kinda important in Turf War :) Now Splatzone, Tower Control & Rainmaker probably is a different deal, but I haven't bothered with those modes that much.

About the controls, I can't just use the analog sticks, it's just too awkward, how are you gonna aim while you jump if you're using analog sticks? Anyway, I'm also too twitchy for motion controls but I turned the sensitivity down a bit so now I'm getting there. As long as you know Y centers your Y axis it's pretty damn intuitive. Use motion to aim up and down and small movements left and right, and the analog stick for big movements left and right. I'm glad I started with motion controls from the start. One thing that's impossible is playing it in handheld though. If I'm gonna play it portable I need to put it in tabletop mode at least. Oh and a pro controller is key. I love the joy cons, but the sticks on them just don't have enough travel for something like Splatoon.

Anyway, as you can tell, from complete Splatoon noob to passionate fan in a week and a half, good job Nintendo :D

• @Mbun

I use that weapon for ranked all the time, and not to sound arrogant but I do just fine and am one of the top players in the match most the time. So as of now I can't say I agree with you.

it's great for splatting quick paths to the objective especially right of the start and it handles well in close quarters. Maybe it's not the most "complicated" gun mechanically giving it a reputation of not being for the mighty elite.

@Jacques

I never thought about turning down sensitivity for motion controls. Might give that a try. I also play just in portable mode. Sooo that may be another issue with motion control for me. I don't have a pro controller so I'm not sure how a variety of setups could impact how it controls. But all good ideas to try.

• @Jacques said:

I see level 30+ guys (not that level is an indicator of skill, but still) with golden Aerosprays all the time.

That's exactly what I'm talking about with falling into the trap of using them too long.

I'd say longer range weapons are better for beginners cause it's easier to get a kill.

Longer range weapons require more precision aim and ink management. Aerospray is so ink efficient that for turf it can take back a large area of turf even when being pressured by the opposing team if they're not coordinated.

Anyway whenever I'm in a team with nothing but Aerosprays we usually win.

Random teams don't always know they have to keep splatting the Aerospray users to keep them out of the match since they can ink much quicker than other weapons. No matter how one sided a match is, if in the last 30 seconds the Aerospray team gets a chance (applies to other super ink efficient weapons too) they can take back majority turf for a win.

And if I'm not, whoever has the Aerospray usually has the highest inking rate, which is kinda important in Turf War :)

The thing is it's only so important. At low levels before teams know really what to do you can get away with it, but at higher levels it only takes one player knowing what they're doing to take an entire team of Aerosprays out of the match with superior range, and there's nothing the Aerospray user can do against this. When I see a team of Aerosprays I see an easy win.

@CGamor7 said:

I use that weapon for ranked all the time, and not to sound arrogant but I do just fine and am one of the top players in the match most the time. So as of now I can't say I agree with you.

I'd ask what rank you are and what mode. Ranked is a bit wonky right now, because there's not enough players playing it, so the game is very forgiving for losses and is power ranking people who win lots of matches in a row up to the higher ones. It should even out in the next couple months.

it's great for splatting quick paths to the objective especially right of the start and it handles well in close quarters.

Well, it is good for area control, which can be important in Ranked, but again you'll get bullied by longer ranged weapons which are way more common in Ranked unless you use ambush tactics. There's just better options that can win encounters at mid range and still maintain good enough area control.

Anyways, you can use what you want. I just encourage you to try out many different weapons. Trust me, I've heard people arguing for the Aerospray before. It was a very popular weapon back in Splatoon 1 too... for the first month or so until people realized how easy they are to bully. I just don't want to see yall invest too much time in a weapon that's ultimately not going to pay off in the longrun. And don't forget, while inking turf is important for winning matches in Turf Wars, there's a hard limit to the amount of exp/money you can earn from inking turf during a match in Splatoon 2, so don't feel discouraged from trying out other things. You'll learn to make up for the less turf per second in greater area denial, which are much better habits to form for performing well in Ranked.

• Switched back to the NES Zapper. Good ink coverage, better range. Miss the curling bombs though. But actually being able to splat someone from a distance makes up for it.

• @Mbun right now I'm a B in area control since I play it the most. And yeah I can agree that a team of aerospray is horrible. A team of all the same weapon usually is horrible. I think having one aerospray can be important but we will see. I've only kept using it as of now because I'm at super fresh rank with it and I want to keep it going lol. But as of now I enjoy splatting quick paths and coming up behind ppl and splatting them. I also enjoyed the paint brush weapon too. Sorry don't know any of the names lol.

Maybe when I get better with motion I'll use long range, because it's the only way for sure. But up close I like the analog.

• Yeah I'm back to the Aerospray, I kinda molded my whole style of play around it. And as CGamor7 said, I think every good team has at least one guy with an Aerospray in it. Only in bigger stages I'll use the NES Zapper.

• @CGamor7 If you use the Octobrush variant of the Inkbrush you can do very well with that, although right now it's kind of brokenly good, so expect nerfs coming sometime to it.
    @Jacques Just keep trying stuff out. Play Salmon Run if you need an excuse to force yourself to try new weapon types.

• Anyone tried the separate joy cons with motion control scheme? I did for a bit today after reading an article on how it's the ultimate way to play and I definitely get the appeal. Thing is that the motion sensor is only in the right joy con, so you only have to move your right hand to aim, which feels a lot more natural than aiming with both hands. It reminded me of the Wii nunchuck + remote control scheme, which was always my favorite way to play shooters on a console, especially Metroid Prime on the Wii. While this isn't nearly that accurate because of the no 1/1 pointer controls of the Wii remote, it's still very intuitive. I feel if the joy cons were a bit heavier it would be more stable though. Anyway, I think I'm gonna go forward with this control scheme.