Looking for a Mid range gaming PC, with a budget

• So my current PC is kinda on its last leg, and I figured id use this as a chance to finally get a gaming PC (Old one is a office PC) I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. Im hoping to keep my budget at $500, although I'm willing to go to $600.

• I guess it depends on what you mean by "mid range". A $500-600 gaming PC is generally considered to be low end.

You will, of course, be able to get something that plays games pretty well, but you're not looking at anything amazing at that price point, and in a few years, you'll want to upgrade the video card, put another stick of RAM in there, and maybe bump up to an i5 processor to keep "current".

• i3 7100 -$120 at Amazon

• MSI Gaming Intel Skylake H110 motherboard $70 at Amazon

• Kingston HyperX FURY Black 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 2133MHz DDR4 $71 at Amazon

• ASUS ROG STRIX Radeon RX 460 4GB $127 at Amazon
      Or MSI Computer Video Graphic Cards GeForce GTX 1050 TI GAMING X 4G $160 at Amazon (some folks have a strong preference between ATI and NVidia so these are approximately similar cards)

• SanDisk SSD PLUS 240G $75 at Amazon

• EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W Power Supply $40 at Amazon

• Corsair Carbide Series 100R $50 at Amazon

Assuming you have a keyboard/mouse/controller already?

That's $553 without an OS.

• Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 Bit System Builder OEM $93

So including a legit copy of WIN10 I've got the RX460 version at $646 + whatever local taxes (if any) Amazon applies to you. (you may also be able to do price shopping between Amazon/Newegg/local stores and get items for less. I dunno. That's a pretty basic setup. You can probably shave that down by picking up a cheaper case if you had to. Or going without an SSD boot drive (but at $75 bucks, it may be worth the $30 for performance)

• Just for reference sake (and to compare it to consoles) This is getting you 1080p at around 40fps in most current gen games with most of the relevant quality settings at "high".

• Tbh I was looking for prebuilt, Im also probably not going to play much if any current gen games, if anything I'd just like something powerful enough for the 90 something Steam games my current PC cant play, which is mostly a bunch of last gen games.(which I got from Humble Bundle)

Also found these and was wondering what someone more adapt at tech specs think.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014644O7A/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1DXA8L14YPJ9

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01F3R9GWC/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LW0F62Q/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A254Q68O1TCVS

http://www.qvc.com/Dell-Inspiron-Desktop-Intel-i7%2C-16GB-RAM%2C-2TB-HDD.product.E287452.html?sc=NAVLIST

• That's a good build. I would really suggest to pick up an AMD RX 480 if you can. It's 200 $ but you get a sizeable jump in performance, is VR ready and has best cost/performance ratio.

Otherwise @TokyoSlim did provide a great build. Must be a professional ;)

• @DMCMaster said in Looking for a Mid range gaming PC, with a budget:

Tbh I was looking for prebuilt, Im also probably not going to play much if any current gen games, if anything I'd just like something powerful enough for the 90 something Steam games my PC, which is mostly a bunch of last gen games.(which I got from Humble Bundle)

Well there's going to be a lot of trash at this price point. Out of your links, the Alienware Alpha is probably the most "legit" machine in your budget - but it's hardware is a gen or so older than what I quoted you, and you don't have much room to upgrade in the future inside that case.

The first link is using a mobile processor and 2-3 year old parts.
    The third one is a laptop - which are generally poor at gaming in comparison to desktop hardware unless portability is a major factor for you.
    The fourth link is way outside your budget!

Also : not a pro, but I've been building my own PCs since 1996. :)

• @TokyoSlim
    The 4th one has a monthly payment plan of $212, which does put it within my budget (Although all the others offered on there hit above, what I can spare)

• @DMCMaster Well if you want to factor in a monthly payment plan, then yes, that Dell will be pretty good.
    Not really a fair comparison though. :)

Also, just noticed it doesnt say what GPU it's using? Maybe that's integrated graphics... hold on a second and I'll look at it more closely.

Edit: HD R9 360 2GB GDDR5 Video Graphics card, which, I guess you could live with for a while. That 2GB of VRAM is going to be an issue sooner rather than later, so this is going to be (unless something catastrophically fails internally) the first thing you replace. I would generally not buy anything "new" with a 2GB card in it, but at first blush, that appears to be the major corner cut in the cost of this PC. It's probably got some cheap power supply and motherboard too - but pretty much any prebuilt system is going to use crappy parts like that. That's why building your own is a better value in general. :)

Just looking at that Alienware again, and it's got basically a 2GB mobile GPU in it too. I dunno man, I'd just save your money and get something actually decent in a few months. Or build your own. It's really not very hard.

• To be honest I'm kinda afraid to try and build one myself, never done it, and don't know anyone that has. So I'm kinda afraid of screwing something up that fry's the whole thing.

Also I wasn't planning to get one ASAP, My current PC probably has 4-5 months of life left to it (unless something drastic happens to it)

• @DMCMaster I know it seems intimidating, but man - it's not hard. It's grown up LEGOS. :)

There's a million youtube vids that can walk you through building a PC. I encourage everyone to give it a shot at some point.

• @DMCMaster There are pros and cons to pre-build and custom build. I decided to get a pre-build because I was afraid that I might screw up something with the expensive components. And there something might not work and you have no idea why. I just have no desire to go through all learning, watching tutorials and then building and hoping that it somehow works out. With pre-built I'm guaranteed that it will work, or I can take it back if it doesn't. And today prebuilds are easier to upgrade as ever. Especially graphics cards, I've done that before and it's really simple. So while I encourage you to try and build it on your own, I have no regrets on getting a pre-build one.

• It's definitely intimidating to build your own PC, but it's seriously not nearly as difficult as it may seem, but few things that you might need to know beforehand:

• Make sure your parts are compatible with each other, PC part picker makes this easy.
    • If you go with new parts for your PC, Motherboard may need a BIOS update for them to work properly, but this is easy nowadays. Parts will work if you have right ports, slots and socket in your motherboard, but not in their full capacity before you do that update, but that can be done by going to your motherboard manufacturers site, and download the BIOS updater there once you've got your computer running.
    • Static electricity will cause some issues, so if you encounter that in your house daily basis, you might want to minimize that, and if you can fashion yourself a antistatic wriststrap (here's guide how to make one yourself), that would be highly beneficial. But you can make do without one, just make sure to keep pets, rugs and such away when building the PC. And don't wear sweaters or shirts/pants that cause static electicity. Building computers (half)naked is not that uncommon, so don't be weirded out by that.
    • Make sure to watch at least one or two building guides on internet before doing anything yourself, here's relatively good one.
    • Keep your cool, and take your time. If you rush things, you will most likely encounter problems.

But here's the thing. Once you've built your own PC, you will feel more attached to it, and value it even more, and everything it does well feels more satisfying.

• @jipostus
    Thank you for the links. Especially the parts picker, feel like that will save some me from panicing a bit

• @DMCMaster Here are the specs: http://www.game-debate.com/gaming-pc/index.php?r_id=546589&cpu=Core i7-4790 4-Core 3.6GHz&gpu=GeForce GTX 970 Asus Strix OC 4GB Edition&ram=16GB

And .this is how it looks like. I bought it about two years ago for 1200 bucks, if I remember correctly.
    0_1487010105667_pc.JPG

• Self build help if you fancy it: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

• So after looking at some tutorials, and videos about building a $500 PC, I think ill build one with these parts
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/2YU32D6UBZMHP/ref=cm_wl_list_o_0?
    All together comes up to $573 (before tax) as of this time, although im going to be keeping my eye on them to see if they drop, although I'm probably going to order it bit by bit while waiting. Although im debating on either keeping or getting rid of the SSD

Judging from the video I saw that built one with those parts (look below) It should be more then capable then handling everything I currently have on steam, but should give a little breathing room for more recent titles.

• My build is a little faster but if you're comfortable with this one - do it!
    Also, remember that doesn't include an OS. :)

• @TokyoSlim
    From the looks of things getting Windows 10 (At least its installer) Looks to be free,, although I assume it acts like a free trial or something?

• @DMCMaster uh...
    I mean, you can try to use it without a license for as long as you can ignore the popups, I guess. I think MS still lets you do that? But be aware that they may decide to lock your computer at their discretion in the future if you decide to go that route. And the popups are annoying.

If you've got a current pc with a legal copy of win 7 or newer on it, I think you can still upgrade for free via the accessibility program.

But yeah, other than that, Windows isn't free. There's student discounts and such, but as I said in my very first post, an OEM license is 93 bucks. Retail is probably a few bucks more.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.