Nintendo Switch Pre-order Woes!

• I apologize in advance for the rant, but I want to share the current situation of the Switch distribution in Singapore.

Pre-orders have been available from most local retailers for a while, but without an official price. A couple weeks ago, news broke out that the console would only be available as a bundle with Zelda and 1-2-Switch. And bundle doesn't mean discount in this case, it means you basically have to buy those 2 games when you purchase the console, the console is not sold separately.

And today, the official price has just been announced: S$699 for the bundle, which translates to roughly 460 euros! Buying the console and those two games separately in Europe would cost roughly 400 euros, so that's 60 euros extra, assuming you even want 1-2-Switch...

Note that this isn't Nintendo's fault, as least not directly. The official, and only, distributor for Nintendo in all of South-East Asia is a company called Maxsoft, and they're the ones who set the price, and decided to enforce this bundle on customers. Apparently they pulled the same crap when the Wii launched, knowing there was a high demand they also pushed a bunch of shitty games in a bundle.

So what solutions does this leave me with?

I can take the hit and pay this premium price, and hope I have some fun with 1-2-Switch.
    I can import it from Japan at a regular price but pay extra for delivery and risk paying an additional tax, also missing out on local warranty/having all the instructions in Japanese.
    I can wait and hope the prices drop or the console is eventually sold on its own here, with no guarantee as to when - if ever - that will happen.
    I can ask my friend from France who's visiting me on the 9th of March to buy one for me and bring it, but if he orders one today I highly doubt he'll manage to get one before he comes.

It really sucks because I've been hyped for this console and for Zelda for soooo long, and it's looking more and more like I either won't get it at launch, or pay an unreasonable price for it. Or both.

Are there any other Allies living in this part of the world? Have you got any tips or additional info I'm not aware of?

• That really sucks how Maxsoft is treating the launch (and how Nintendo is letting them treat the launch).

I could see automatically bundling Zelda in, because duh, but that price markup is whack. If you have the knowhow to do it (I've never done so), I'd say import it from Japan, since they have one of the lowest prices. I've never had to use the a manual for any of my Nintendo systems or handhelds — just charge the system to full battery before you use it for the best performance over the entire life.

• That sucks! I'd urge you to wait until the launch hubbub has died down and hope that Maxsoft offer some different bundles or just the hardware on its own eventually.

It is weird that your problem is that you are being forced into a an overpriced bundle while many complaints in the UK are focused around there not being an official bundle offer for the Switch.

• just import from overseas. the console isn't region locked after all...

• @thenerdtheword Theres a store by me that offered the switch a pro controller and breathe of the wild for 449.99 however preorders were gone within minutes.

• Well I found a french website that still has pre-orders available, at a very advantageous price actually: 350 euros for the console with Zelda and a free framed Zelda poster. I just need to throw in an extra 10 euros to guarantee express delivery, so my friend can bring it when he visits a week after launch.

And to make sure he doesn't pay some sort of import tax on arrival, I'm getting an official Switch transport pouch so he can unbox the whole thing beforehand and carry it as if it was his own.

Even with all that, it's still much cheaper than buying it in Singapore, and I was planning to buy a transport pouch anyway.

He gets to keep the framed poster for his services, and he gets to play Zelda on his 12-hour flight and impress all the girls at the airport like that dude in the advert.

Everybody wins.

Love & Respect triumph once again.

Fuck Maxsoft.

• @Axel said in Nintendo Switch Pre-order Woes!:

Well I found a french website that still has pre-orders available, at a very advantageous price actually: 350 euros for the console with Zelda and a free framed Zelda poster. I just need to throw in an extra 10 euros to guarantee express delivery, so my friend can bring it when he visits a week after launch.

And to make sure he doesn't pay some sort of import tax on arrival, I'm getting an official Switch transport pouch so he can unbox the whole thing beforehand and carry it as if it was his own.

Even with all that, it's still much cheaper than buying it in Singapore, and I was planning to buy a transport pouch anyway.

He gets to keep the framed poster for his services, and he gets to play Zelda on his 12-hour flight and impress all the girls at the airport like that dude in the advert.

Everybody wins.

Love & Respect triumph once again.

Fuck Maxsoft.

But you might have to ultimately thank Maxsoft when you give your best man's speech at your friend and airport girl's wedding in a few years :D
    "If it wasn't for them and their ridiculous pricing we wouldn't be gathered here today!"