Microtransactions in For Honor!

• Now, I'm sure when Huber reviews this either he or someone else during a podcast will go over this. But even as I type this I'm dispelling misconceptions about this game's pricing structure in discord.

So I found it prudent to go over why the microtransactions should NOT worry you when it comes to this game if you're on the ropes since this is a competitive game.

First steel is the first main currency in the game and it can be used as follows:

• Buying characters
    • Upgrading Gear
    • Buying Gear Boxes (Contents are random, though you can choose specific TYPES of gear drops to get a specific random pool)
    • Cosmetics
    • Champion Status (There's various prices for lengths of time this lasts for)
    • Unlocking a characters "Feats" all at once (More on this later)

"What is champion status?" "Does it break the game?"

Short answer? No. Here's what it does:

• More Salvage from dismantling (This is a secondary currency separated by each of the clans each class belongs to, IE Samurai gear dismantles into Samurai Salvage, you need this AND steel in order to upgrade gear pieces)

• 25% XP Boost (You also give 10% to your team)

• 3 Exclusive Champion Emblems (Cosmetic)

• "More End Match Loot" (Not as common as you think, I've had matches give me no loot, usually one piece of loot, and very VERY rarely two pieces of loot with this status)

• Special icon by your name

But as you notice, it doesn't give you a bonus to steel. Just XP. It's nice to have but in all honesty it's nothing to fret over if someone else has it and you don't.

"Unlocking feats all at once? Isn't this OP?"

Debatable. Unlocking them doesn't take long in this game, I started a new character tonight and played for roughly 4 hours and reached level 8 (Max level before prestige is 20) after level 5 you get a new feat every 2 levels until level 19.

Now, that being said there's some really great skills contained here. BUT here's why this also is not as big of a deal as you might think, you "Unlock" using these during a match as your character levels up through kills, capping areas, etc, your custom loadout of 4 skills is what you're stuck with for the match.

You know how I mentioned leveling during a match? This takes quite awhile, the best skills of which are typically available near the end of a match, more skilled players will obviously pull ahead where this is concerned, but those feats don't make this possible, they probably would've beaten you regardless, and you too with practice can go toe to toe with anyone regardless of gear or feats.

My point? Even if someone has every skill unlocked by paying for it, they don't have full use of them from the start of a match. More over once a skill is used they have a substantial cooldown before they can be used again. Like the ever devastating catapult feat, characters with this skill might get TWO uses of it before a match ends at the very most, and it's the last skill you'll gain.

"But what about gear? Doesn't this ruin the balance for new players?"

Yes and no.

First, gear only matters in 4v4 matches and custom games. Which gives you 1v1 duels and 2v2 brawls to practice and earn gear for 4v4 in if you're a bit nervous to take people on in 4v4. These games can also be played against the AI, though gear drops are far less common.

But you need to also understand that gear has 3 stats, I'll use my current axe blade as an example it has 3 stats Attack, Defense, and Stamina cost reduction.

Now, if I were to upgrade this, I would gain a slight boost in attack but I'd LOSE defense as a result. Yes every advantage has a disadvantage! Whatever downside a piece of gear has will continue to go down as you upgrade it while increasing the bonus of another stat, so while a character could be super powerful...they could also be really really easy to kill with a skilled defense on your part. This is also why I believe even a level 1 player has a fair chance to win, they haven't downgraded any of their stats yet and retain the power they started with!

"But people can buy characters faster than I can!"

Yes, but not THAT much faster.

Let's add some context here, from the start of the game you have the 3 vanguard classes Warden, Raider, Kensei unlocked. Upon completion of the tutorial you're given 2000 steel. Characters cost 500 each. That's 4 more characters out of the remaining 9 you can buy from the start.

Out of the 14 hours I've spent in the game without spending a dime I had earned enough steel through completing quests and just playing matches to buy every character and even a few loot boxes.

Given the complex nature high level play of this game it behooves you to focus on 1-3 characters and learn them inside and out, remember ways to use their moves, counters, parries, etc rather than trying to learn all 12 characters. So if you consider things logically you don't need every character right away. But it also doesn't take long to earn them either.

ALSO, you can use ANY character ANY time you want even if you don't own them! The only downside to using a character you don't own is that you cannot customize them, can't change their gear, outfit, etc. HOWEVER you still earn XP for them and stockpile gear drops for them that you can use once you purchase the character.

How does this help you? Well simply put, in the modes where gear has no benefit you're at no disadvantage picking a character you don't own, it also helps you decide if that character is even worth your time at all once you've played with them long enough.

I don't rightly know if this will help anyone, but if you've been misled in any way about how this game handles it's microtransactions then I hope this helped you make up your own mind at least as far as this is concerned if this was your main concern for not dipping your toe in.

If anything changes or I missed anything feel free to let me know and I'll update my info. (I'm sure this will get buried fast anyway since very few people seem interested in the game anyway)

I really like this game, and I'm aware Ubisoft has some questionable methods for multiplayer pricing structures but when it comes to For Honor I think this is probably one of the best examples of GOOD microtransactions I've seen in awhile. Nothing people pay money for is an instant increase in power, and nothing is so much of a grind that it can't be earned by even the most casual players (Casual by definition as someone who doesn't play as often as other people, not skill level).

Hope to see you on the fields of battle, Love And Respect~

• @ZyloWolfBane

Sounds very close to Raindbow six siege.

I'm biased, I don't care much for dlc, and almost everything you described sounds ridiculous and I can't believe games have come to this. But don't take this comment to heart, it's just my view of these kinds of things.

In my opinion the best example of DLC practices is overwatch. Your game should be a complete whole game. The only thing I should be spending money on is skins, shiny things that do nothing and generious addons of story content. i could be wrong but I'm pretty sure overwatch brings in more money then most games that try to do dlc.

• @CGamor7 said in Microtransactions in For Honor!:

@ZyloWolfBane

Sounds very close to Raindbow six siege.

I'm biased, I don't care much for dlc, and almost everything you described sounds ridiculous and I can't believe games have come to this. But don't take this comment to heart, it's just my view of these kinds of things.

In my opinion the best example of DLC practices is overwatch. Your game should be a complete whole game. The only thing I should be spending money on is skins, shiny things that do nothing and generious addons of story content. i could be wrong but I'm pretty sure overwatch brings in more money then most games that try to do dlc.

Rainbow six was way worse, the grind from what I've been told to unlock operators was quite insane. Whereas on this game it's barely any time spent at all, and you're never prevented from using a character even if you don't own it.

It's hasn't "Come to this" because developers are evil, you have the very players to blame for it. They want the ability to skip the grind, no matter how large or how small or even how trivial (In the case of overwatch) it may be. And it makes money.

I still say gatcha games make more, as there's an immediate sense of power gained when you get that ONE character you really wanted, Fire Emblem Heroes currently is a prime example of this.

But far as microtransactions go, For Honor is by far the most innocuous of them. Compared to say....a MOBA, any MOBA. Or Free to play MMOs.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.