Most beloved franchise with which you have no experience whatsoever?

• @Oscillator The only thing I can say to that is: WOW.

• @Nillend Should jump into one and see for yourself. Weird to call a franchise you've never played just nostalgia.

@El-Shmiablo I'll admit Zelda gets lots of free passes at times and is generally overrated, but I can't think of franchises that have really done it's formula better than it. I hope you don't mean stuff like Binding of Issac which is entirely RNG and a roguelike. That will never compare to lovingly crafted Zelda dungeons. Not saying Binding of Issac isn't fun in it's own right, but they're quite different.

• @Brannox said in Most beloved franchise with which you have no experience whatsoever?:

@Oscillator The only thing I can say to that is: WOW.

I always like to refer to Worms as "chess with flamethrowers and exploding sheep". When you get experienced with the game, you find that the massive weapon set is filled with nuances that allow you to do amazing things even in the worst situations.

alt text

The animal weapons can fit through tiny holes and collect crates.
    The Bazooka can skip over water if fired at a very shallow angle.
    If your worm only has 1 health left, you can drop your worm with Teleport and use the fall damage to hurt your opponent.
    You can Punch or Bat mines out of the way.
    Homing Missile works underwater.
    Uzi can propel worms.
    If you have multiple Mad Cows, you can release them in different directions by quickly turning between releases.
    If you can place a cluster bomb directly underneath a worm, it will do massive damage.
    You can place a mine one turn, then detonate it yourself the next turn, allowing you to open a hole and attack on the same turn.
    If you can get underneath a worm, you can jump up to lift it, then use Fire Punch or Dragon Ball to propel it with improved leverage.
    You can activate the drill from the rope to negate fall damage.
    You can collect crates with Kamikaze.
    Low Gravity lets you Fire Punch higher.

• @Oscillator That's an amazing amount of depth and nuance. Imagine if the Allies knew all of this during their group stream of Worms a while back!

• @Oscillator You're damn right. I remember playing Worms from the beginning, and Armageddon coming out was a revelation. Hell, even individual weapons could be honed to the level of mastery on their own. And as you've outlined, the options for play are ridiculously deep.

• @Oscillator As others have said, this post really makes me respect Worms. A game with both tremendous depth and the self-confidence not to bother telling you about it.

• @Brannox said in Most beloved franchise with which you have no experience whatsoever?:

@Oscillator That's an amazing amount of depth and nuance. Imagine if the Allies knew all of this during their group stream of Worms a while back!

I think they played the latest entry, WMD? It's not bad, but all the newer Worms games have a completely different physics engine from Armageddon, with too much randomness. The best WA players have honed its "pixel physics" to insane levels, allowing them to thread the needle with projectile weapons like the AI does, and move worms around almost at will with the Ninja Rope. It's a wonder to behold.

• Kingdom Hearts, Star Ocean, Strangely Default, Dragon Quest.

• Zelda. I played a bit of OoT when I was a kid on my cousin's N64 (never made it past the tutorial area) and a little bit of Twilight Princess on a friends Wii (same story). Just never got into it for whatever reason. I loved the hell out of Okami and everyone tells me that it's basically a Zelda game but the art style and story always appealed to me more than anything I've seen from Zelda.

• There's a bunch I have little experience with. But I have none with Dragon Quest or Chrono Trigger. They look good, though.

• @DavidFCG If you like older JRPGs at all, Chrono Trigger is a must play. Good story, great characters, solid battle system and phenomenal soundtrack. When it comes to Dragon Quest, I recommend VIII for being one of the best pokemon games not by pokemon company.

• Dragon Quest and Persona - Dragon quest XI is about to change that because it has drawn me in. Persona 5 is pre-ordered and is my most anticipated game this year. I play a little persona 3 and 4 here and there but never had the time.

• I'm a total Zelda noob. I really haven't played it at all.