What is your GOTY so far?

• So my friends, what is the best game you have played this year so far?

for me its Doom, return to old shool fast paced badass FPS with no iron sights, regen health, and scripted straight forward level design. its easily best FPS i have played in a long long time.

so whats your GOTY so far?

• Uncharted 4? I mean, is there even any competition?

• Dark souls 3.

alt text
    DARK SOULS!!!!!!

• Fire Emblem Fates is mine so far, and it will be tough to top. Uncharted 4 and Doom got close though, but I love Fire Emblem with a passion.

• Fire Emblem Fates the amount of hours I've put into that game is ridiculous.

• VA-11 Hall-A probably. The fact that I was hyping that game up to myself and anybody that would listen for about two years may mean my judgement is clouded but it certainly lived up to expectations and then some for me.

Granted the only other games I've gotten this year are Overwatch (which is an easy #2), Trials of the Blood Dragon (which I didn't enjoy) and Senran Kagura: Estival Versus (which is the definition of "this game is dumb but I still have a total blast playing it.")

• @Whoaness said in What is your GOTY so far?:

Uncharted 4? I mean, is there even any competition?

alt text

• @flower_arrangement A full priced multiplayer-only game without completed multiplayer features at launch and has terrible micro-transactions?

I fear for the future of the industry if people tells publishers that they like this stuff. I also find Uncharted 4 multiplayer to be way better.

• @Whoaness I've played "completed" multiplayer games that don't suck me in for an easy 100 hours, while still wanting more. Overwatch has scratched an itch for a lot of people.

• Overwatch, mostly because I haven't played any other games that have come out this year. I have been on a classic JRPG kick for quite a while.

• @SabotageTheTruth Team Fortress already exist if you didn't know about it before Overwatch.

• I'm not sure that I've found mine quite yet, but right now it's Fire Emblem Fates (Conquest). I anticipate Pokemon Sun and Moon taking that spot when it comes out.

• I agree with above. overwatch should be half price or even F2P which originally was. its also very cartoony game too.

• @Whoaness Tomb Raider already existed if you didn't know about it before Uncharted. Cheers though mate, the great thing about Game of the Year is it's completely opinion based. My game of the year was probably going to be Persona 5 but that got pushed back so... Overwatch for now, considering its depth, unique characters, insane replay-ability, and just overall good vibes. If I wasn't so worried about Final Fantasy 15/No Man's Sky, I'd say those are contenders... but only time will tell.

• @SabotageTheTruth Tomb Raider before Uncharted is a different game than Tomb Raider after copying Uncharted.

Poor comparison.

• @Whoaness said in What is your GOTY so far?:

@flower_arrangement A full priced multiplayer-only game without completed multiplayer features at launch and has terrible micro-transactions?

I fear for the future of the industry if people tells publishers that they like this stuff. I also find Uncharted 4 multiplayer to be way better.

I was mainly pulling your leg and I don't particularly feel like arguing over this as the topic is a question of personal taste, but man, games trying to be not very good movies is much worse for the future of the industry to my mind.

• @Whoaness Two of the best games released last year were Splatoon and Rocket League. It doesn't matter if something's "multiplayer-only" if the multiplayer is that good. And I'd rather have no singleplayer campaign than a terrible, half-assed, only stuck on because people complained one.

And I really want to know what you mean about "terrible micro-transactions," those crates are stupid sure but you can get one with like two-three hours of in-game play at most and it's all just cosmetic stuff that's easily ignored anyway.

• @flower_arrangement Sorry, but Uncharted 4 scored critically higher than Overwatch, and Naughty Dog has cleaned house with GOTYs with their "not very good movies" games that everyone in the industry is only hoping to get some of their magic.

And the reason why Overwatch is a poor role model for future releases is because it's a bare bones content multiplayer that also has micro-transaction.

@DeweyDTruman Splatoon? eehhh... at least it had no microtransaction.

Rocket League is great, but it's not going to win GOTYs when Witcher, Bloodborne, Metal Gear, Fallout came out.

• @DeweyDTruman
    According to whom?
    In my opinion Rocket league and splatoon were the most FUN games last year, but that doesn't necessarily mean they were the BEST. Quality of a game is not determined only by how many hours is played nor how many people play it.

• One thing relevant to what's being discussed is the fact Uncharted 4 has micro-transactions in its multiplayer. Proof. Now does that mean people shouldn't consider it their game of the year? Absolutely not. Micro-transactions don't immediately discount the importance of a game, especially when they're generally cosmetic, ie. Uncharted 4/Overwatch.