What is your GOTY so far?

• For Honor and it won't come out until 2017 :P

• Bannerlord is supposed to be released in some form this year, right?

Bannerlord it is.

• @Sheria said in What is your GOTY so far?:

I think it's time for me to update my top 10 that I posted on Escapist, I've played a lot more since then.

1. Doom

What a wonderful return for this series. Technically, the game is bare bones, which is exactly what I expect it to be. You're just an overpowered avatar, with an arsenal on your back, and you're simply asked to blast everything in sight. Just bliss. I haven't quite beaten it though.

I dont think its a only game in series that return to being good because Doom 3 was also amazing game. the only problem i found is too many tight arenas near the end. come on its not painkiller or serious sam. i hate when our room close and no choice but first shoot enemies to move forward. Why cant i move forward while shooting? but atleast unlike serious sam/painkiller this game has large level design not just spawn arena shoot. other than its best FPS to come out in a long time.

• So far Quantum Break. Haven't played Uncharted or Inside.

• None so far. I've probably played Overwatch the most, but it doesn't feel like a GOTY contender. So I'm leaving it reserved for the latter part of the year.

• Fire Emblem Fates vs Overwatch.

Overwatch is coming from someone who never plays multiplayer shooters. I've never enjoyed them, never played them for more than a week or two.

I'm really really enjoying Overwatch, and don't see myself getting tired of it anytime soon.

@Whoaness Saying Overwatch is light on "content" shows a gross misunderstanding of the game. If you see 21+ heroes, each one is a new game to me. It's entirely up to the player to decide how much thought they want to put into the game. The sheer amount of polish on every part of those 21 heroes puts every other multiplayer shooter to shame. I seriously cannot go back to any game with "pick different fire rates".

Overwatch doesn't need more arbitrary game modes because the game is the heroes. If you don't agree with that, then you don't understand Overwatch enough.

That being said, GOTY is a ridiculous award. Comparing Uncharted 4 to Overwatch? Why? What's the point? That's why this thread is titled "YOUR GOTY". Let's keep that in mind.

• Probably Doom, but definately NOT Overwatch. I bring both of these games up because they've basically polar opposites for me.

Doom was an exceptionally well crafted SP shooter that wasn't just a respectful throwback to what shooters used to be, but actally the natural evolution of it. It was a game where the gameplay took center stage which in this day and age is not only bold, but also very refreshing. The tacked on MP is underwhelming sure, but the snap map is a neat system that I'd love to see more of and further expanded upon.
    However, what mattered was the SP and you can clearly see how much care went into every single aspect of it. From the gameplay to the graphics to the pacing to the great music by Mick Gordon. The SP is as close to perfect as you can get.
    It was also a game that was followed by a lot of negativity leading up to the launch of it and it managed to win people over with the sheer quality of it. Doom is how you reboot a series correctly.

Overwatch on the other hand was a game that you just feel that the marketing carried it. It was a game that didn't really try anything new while trying to hard to play it safe and appealing to eveyrone. Many things in terms of game design, balance and content was lacking. You honestly could barely tell that it had been in closed beta for like a year before being released. It was a game that tried to sell us on this interesting sci-fi world with all these quirky characters... only to not give us any of it in the full release. So we're met with a world we know very little about in a struggle we couldn't care less about featuring characters we know nothing about. So what we're left with is the gameplay in the online MP, which would be fine if it didn't lack so much in terms of game design.
    Heroes are not only poorly designed and bland, some of them makes you question if the designers even though about the heroes design at all. Symmetra is the perfect example of this. Not only does she play more as a defence hero than a Support, her entire kit is atrocious with the worst offender being her Ultimate, the Teleporter. The Teleporter in TF2 is great, in Overwatch it's horribly implemented. Because you have to charge up the Ult you will often get it by the time it's too late (since it's best bring allies up to a point, but because the point is already lost your Teleporter is useless, especially during Kart missions). But that's not all, the Teleporter has limited uses, meaning after a few teleports you will have to recharge it again. This is ignoring the fact that her shields she hands out are borderline useless, her turrets are so incredibly situational she's only good on like 2 maps and only on certain points on said map and that her gun is so clunky that it borders on useless most of the time.
    Every single hero has such a simplified, bland and shallow design that the fact that they're trying to push this game in competitive is a joke. This is not even considering all the other issues tied to tick rate, hitboxes, code and more.
    It's sad because I was really looking forward to this game but as a game it just fails in almost every single way. Is it a terrible game? No. The problem is that it has so much potential and it doesn't even tap into a double digit percentage of it. It is a testament to what I think is wrong with modern Blizzard and gaming in general today.

It turned into a bit of a rant :cold_sweat:

• @suplextrain I respectfully couldn't disagree more. I'll challenge you on several of the points you make. Symmetra has the highest winrate of all of the heroes, and I have a bunch of friends who exclusively play her and absolutely dominate. She's simply very difficult to play with. Her shields are extremely useful for the characters with sub-200 health, and you will absolutely notice when a team has them or not. Mostly, I think you've jumped to conclusions about her pretty quickly.

The fact you call the hero designs simple makes me want to hear what you think isn't shallow/simple. It's honestly baffling to me. I sincerely want to hear your mental picture of what you thought Overwatch was going to be, or what a "game done right" would be. It sounds like a fantasy.

• Used to be Dark souls 3 for about a month... Now it's pretty much the Odin sphere remaster. It's just so gorgeous, the battle-system is a lot of fun, the story/campaign is lenghty and interesting.

• @Stormcrownn said in What is your GOTY so far?:

@suplextrain I respectfully couldn't disagree more. I'll challenge you on several of the points you make. Symmetra has the highest winrate of all of the heroes, and I have a bunch of friends who exclusively play her and absolutely dominate. She's simply very difficult to play with. Her shields are extremely useful for the characters with sub-200 health, and you will absolutely notice when a team has them or not. Mostly, I think you've jumped to conclusions about her pretty quickly.

Feel free to disagree, I know a lot of people do. But if you want to argue bring up arguments to counter mine. I honestly couldn't care less if your friends "dominate" since it's frankly irrelevant and I have heard that statement uttered for every single MP game where people defend something terrible. It could objectively be the worst weapon in the game yet you'll still get those people that say "well my friends dominate".
    No offense.

The fact you call the hero designs simple makes me want to hear what you think isn't shallow/simple. It's honestly baffling to me. I sincerely want to hear your mental picture of what you thought Overwatch was going to be, or what a "game done right" would be. It sounds like a fantasy.

Are you seriously telling me you think the heroes of Overwatch have a lot of depth? Even when heroes such as Torbjörn are just flat out himped Engineer's from TF2 (for example) or the fact that heroes like Bastion or Mercy exist?
    I am comparing Overwatch to all kinds of games. Be they other hero shooters or even MOBAs. If you think there's huge amounts of depth to the characters then good on you, but I got bored with them all almost instantly since there are no intricacies to actually master or any real thought you need to apply. So when the entire game is lacking in terms of game and map design along with having limited content and progression (the tiny amount there is was added a while after post launch, which is just barebones) it got boring really fast.

Overwatch made me realize that current Blizzard is simply not for me. All they end up giving me is dissapointment after dissapointment because they're frankly not as talented as a company anymore. The reason I don't want Overwatch to win GotY is to maybe try and tone down their ego so that they actually start to try and improve instead of trucking along with mediocre release after mediocre release.

So while I'm pretty harsh against Overwatch there are reasons for it.

• @suplextrain I don't play Overwatch but...

"Symmetra has the highest winrate of all of the heroes"... seems like a pretty big counter to your argument that you just completely ignored.

Also, I think the fan art speaks for itself in regards to the character designs. A game rarely generates this much popularity with its characters. So I'd say you're in the minority in thinking that the designs are bland. I think quite a few of the characters are visually interesting and I don't need to play the game to hold that opinion. If you're strictly speaking about them from a narrative perspective... it's a multiplayer only game. So your expectations may have been greatly misplaced. And we actually DO know a lot about there characters from the promotional material. Just because it exists outside of the (multiplayer only) game does not mean it simply vanishes.

• So far I'd have to say it's a tie between Doom and Dark Souls 3. Doom for being a proper return to form (for the most part, lack of quicksaving does irk me a bit but the checkpoints are reasonably spaced) and having one of the best "I should have seen that one coming" final bosses I can remember. And Dark Souls 3 because, it's Dark Souls. Interesting lore, challenging but rewarding gameplay, a good amount of fanservice to the past games, and one of the most frantic boss fights in action RPG history that I can remember. (Pontiff Sulyvhan; I honestly would put him up with Fume Knight in terms of sheer ruthlessness and ferocity)

• Not sure if GOTY but the game that has stayed with me the most throughout the year is "The Witness". I still return to it once in a while just to find one more environmental puzzle. It's very relaxing and one of the most unique experiences I've had in recent time.

• Bit of a tie between Uncharted 4 and Doom, with Odin Sphere and Yakuza Kiwami.

• @suplextrain like for real I want to hear your picture of "good design" - I am genuinely curious. I want to hear a comparison is what blizzard did wrong with X character, and what another company did correctly.

As far as TF2 comparisons, I'll let Jeff Kaplan answer that. Verticality for the win. (In 2014, before it was cool. :))

• I'll second The Witness for its mechanics and making me care about puzzles and Uncharted 4 for its story-telling.

And if Fallout 4 could win some GOTYs for being a copy of its predecessor, then I'll throw in Witcher 3 Blood & Wine as well, since it offers me more engagement, story and desire to care about its characters than many other games this year.

Hakuna your tatas everyone.

• GOTY for me has to be Uncharted 4. It was just amazing in every aspect: story, gameplay, graphics, polish, action, you name it. I was always in a state of awe playing it. Loved it. Lets see how the rest of the year pans out.

• Uncharted 4.

• I don't have a PS4, I only watched the Achievement Hunters playthrough of Uncharted 4. From a visual standpoint I would say that game. It looked amazing, seemed to handle well and it felt like a fitting end. I didn't play it though, so I don't think I would be allowed to give it a GOTY.

From what I've played, right now it's a toss up between Quantum Break and Inside. Quantum Break's story and it's presentation was incredible. The gameplay was fun and I got invested in it, I want more. I've only just finished Inside, but it's stayed with me for the past few days. The atmosphere is incredible and I felt fearful each time I entered a new section or saw someone. My interpretations of the story and the ending have me wanting to replay it. Love everything about it.

• Doom

While Uncharted 4 undoubtedly shows how far the medium came and what it can be, Doom is a monument to the origin of videogames, a lesson on how to bring those "classic" elements to our modern era and a reminder of what games need to be.

Overwatch also gets a lot of hype here and while I am a very passionate Overwatch player who loves most characters and spends way to much (over)time with his buddies in ranked and unranked matches the game is very dependent on its playerbase which means while one can certainly have the best of times with this game, ignorant team mates and uncouth players in any team can ruin the game for you completely. That and Genji. F**k Genji. ;-)