What is your GOTY so far?

• We're all wrong.

Umbrella Corps.

Game of the decade.

• @SabotageTheTruth said in What is your GOTY so far?:

We're all wrong.

Umbrella Corps.

Game of the decade.

I just watched both Huber playing this, and Angry Joe's angry review...

It's certainly gonna win some sort of award this year.
    alt text

• @Inustar I've always found worst games of the year lists to be far more entertaining.

Sorry OP, I can't seem to stay on topic for the life of me! I'll see myself out.

• Does Blood and Wine count? If so, Blood and Wine. If it doesn't count, Dark Souls 3.

• Witcher 3: Blood and Wine (might be an expansion pack technically but it's bigger than any other game I've played this year).

It's actually my least favorite part of Witcher 3 (after the main quest and then Hearts of Stone) but it's still totally and utterly awesome.

• Dark Souls 3, obviously.

• @flower_arrangement Well The Last Guardian might be the only other contender. FFXV surely feels like it won't since Nomura left the project. Uncharted 4 was a game where it completely blows you away about how good it is that is hard to even think of anything else as good. Happened with Uncharted 2 and TLOU.

Big franchises existed with the old Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Star Trek, way before Marvel. Marvel movies existing isn't preventing creative movies to come out. But that's movie talk. We're talking about games now.

Fun is subjective. Putting a full price tag on bare bones content that should be F2P while piling on Microtransactions on top is objective. Let's make those two distinctions clear.

@Inustar I'm just responding to people who are trying to say that Overwatch should be considered as my GOTY.

@SabotageTheTruth Yes, and more on that. Not only is the singleplayer great, but the microtransaction in Uncharted 4 multiplayer isn't detrimental to the reward system. Overwatch's gacha system, where you're randomly rewarded with a high chance of useless cosmetics like one-line dialogues or spray paints, is hurting the feeling of being rewarded for playing the game. Sure, it's cosmetic, but they took away any other kind of tangible rewards. There's also how often you get rewarded. Before Uncharted is getting their first content update in a few days, I've unlocked all of the cosmetic microtransactions available without paying a single dime because every daily allows me to buy a chest of cosmetic goodies.

Hearthstone is a card game, and, as you pointed out, it's nature is pay2win. I call out Hearthstone for a lot of things, especially for destroying a good WoW TCG by streamlining everything Upper Deck had made (They are now Cryptozoic making Hex). I definitely have no love for Hearthstone.

@luckywallace Witcher 3 was GOTY last year. It's kind of cheating to keep considering it GOTY if it releases awesome DLC every year lol.

• @Inustar Do open a new topic if you want to continue debate about it.

• @Tankallex I don't think DLC should count as a candidate for GOTY, but that's a whole different disscusion.

• Global Moderator

Probably SMT IV: Final. Had so much fun with it! Though I have a feeling P5 will end up my GOTY ;D I've been going back and playing more games from previous years and haven't picked up many from this year yet.

• @Whoaness said in What is your GOTY so far?:

@flower_arrangement Well The Last Guardian might be the only other contender. FFXV surely feels like it won't since Nomura left the project. Uncharted 4 was a game where it completely blows you away about how good it is that is hard to even think of anything else as good. Happened with Uncharted 2 and TLOU.

I find the game mechanics (the raw pressing of buttons, input output, game play, whatever your preferred name for it) unappealing in UC and TLOU. I don't feel blown away and can easily imagine other things being as good or better, but I'm genuinely glad that it had such a strong impact on you. Two friends of mine were speaking in similar terms.

Big franchises existed with the old Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Star Trek, way before Marvel. Marvel movies existing isn't preventing creative movies to come out. But that's movie talk. We're talking about games now.

I swear you are deliberately half reading my posts at this point. I specifically mentioned 70's block busters. Re studio output I'd recommend Jonathan Rosenbaum's Movie Wars if you've not read it, but sure agreed, enough movie talk.

Fun is subjective. Putting a full price tag on bare bones content that should be F2P while piling on Microtransactions on top is objective. Let's make those two distinctions clear.

The content of Overwatch is a fact, yes. The quality of that content is subjective. Should be F2P is an opinion. Whether Blizzard's release strategy is a positive or a negative one is also up for debate.

@Inustar I'm just responding to people who are trying to say that Overwatch should be considered as my GOTY.

No one is saying that. We're saying we're considering it our GOTY. We're saying there are games other than UC4 in the running. In response to your first post. Which you cleared up later. Then switched to a debate about objective GOTY contenders. You've got UC4. No one is trying to change your opinion on that.

• It has to be The Witcher 3's Blood and Wine expansion.

• @flower_arrangement If you want to nitpick mechanics, Overwatch has cooldown in an action shooter genre. That is, automatically, a turn off and poor game design to introduce a mechanic that counters the genre.

And you're the one who replied to my post with an Overwatch gif, so not my problem. It's in my worst game list after what I played in the beta which is why I was very much obligated to respond.

• @Whoaness
    Hm, it's no one's "problem". If there's any problem here it's that we're talking at cross purposes.

I'm sure you will be very happy when UC4 sweeps the GOTY awards this year. More power to you.

• for me it is definitely dark souls 3. I have played that game for 140 hours, and i still haven´t done everything there is to do in that game. I personally liked the lore, although i see a lot of people disliking it. The only thing that bugs me on the combat side of things, is the "removal", or downgrade of poise, especially in pvp, but they made such amazing boss battles and areas that i can totally look past that.

• alt text

Easily GOTY for me.

ITT: Random salty Overwatch person

• This thread is fascinating because as it stands, its a two game race: UC4 and Overwatch. I don't like multiplayer only games (with very few exceptions and conditions) so between the two, UC4 is my pick. I like the fact DS 3 is getting some mention peppered here and there, but I believe its clear that the first half of the year has belonged to UC4 and Overwatch. Now I enjoyed DOOM and Ratchet & Clank, but Overwatch does MP better than DOOM and UC4 has a better campaign than either of those games. I know this thread is SO FAR but I would like to project: Gears 4, FF XV, CoD: IW, Battlefield 1, No Man's Sky, Titanfall 2 and The Last Guardian are going to get nods, but let's be honest: These two games will probably be the last two standing, so effectively, this IS the GOTY discussion.

• @Brannox I disagree, all those games are going to be contenders and I don't think it's fair to count them out until we actually have them in our hands.

Anyways, personally, I haven't gotten to many 2016 games yet, but Overwatch is my GOTY so far. One, because I've found it really enjoyable and fun, and two, just because of the experiences I've had with out while playing with friends. I don't expect it to stay there though, because I haven't gotten to Uncharted yet and I'm primarily pumped for the games later this year, like FF XV, Last Guardian, and the Batman Telltale Series.

• I don't know if I'd call it a better game than Uncharted 4 or Dark Souls 3, but I honestly think the most fun I've had this year was playing Far Cry Primal. Maybe that sounds ridiculous to say, but there it is.

• I'd have to go with Uncharted 4 right now.. but I may be biased because I blindly love that series

I haven't played Dark Souls 3 yet either