Nioh (PS4/PC)

• I'm having a tough time with the water boss have died at least almost a hundred times. I beat the other bosses first 1-3 tries. Other than that I have been having a blast.

• @Farsendor said in Nioh - (PS4):

I'm having a tough time with the water boss have died at least almost a hundred times. I beat the other bosses first 1-3 tries. Other than that I have been having a blast.

I had a lot of trouble too until I realized that I am oblivious. The trick to beating it is below in spoilers:

The boss is incredibly weak to fire damage - you basically do no damage without it. The reason you are supposed to light the three fires in the actual level before fighting the boss is because it turns on three flames in the boss arena which you can go up to and put a fire buff on your weapon as many times as you would like

• @Galaxy40k said in Nioh - (PS4):

I had a lot of trouble too until I realized that I am oblivious. The trick to beating it is below in spoilers:

No idea how this spoiler code works at all, I've tried to get it to work for 5mins, so...

SPOILERS FOR THE UMIBOZU FIGHT

You can also leave the fires be and they will prevent smaller enemies from being able to join the fight.

• Cant get spoiler tags to work spoilers for Nioh

@Farsendor

when he does his one hit KO beam attack if u dodge it and attack his core it does major damage

• Global Moderator

Using spoilers is mentioned in the charter. Just start a new paragraph with '>!'

• @tokeeffe9 so just at the start ?

sweet thanks man

@Farsendor did you manage to beat him?

• @tokeeffe9

You actually get a static theme if you pre-ordered the game and this is the music that plays on theme.

• First 4 hours of my time with the game last week:

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

And defeating Tachibana:

Youtube Video

If anyone fancies a watch :)

• so did koei screw up and not print enough copies i havent seen any anywhere

• @Galaxy40k

Sorry for the late reply but this helped me out a lot.

• @FF7Cloud Sony published outside Japan, but yeah seems they didn't print enough discs, were out of stock for a while but seem to be back in stock on Amazon UK at least.

• we where only given 3 copies and i bought one and havent seen any since. we are however considered a supermarket so we may be low on priority

• I haven't the time to get into the game yet. I have beaten the first area and now I'm at the Blacksmith and I am just potentially overwhelmed at the amount of customization in this game.

I've created two characters one with dual swords and kusarigama and my second character has a normal sword and axe. I found the game very challenging with my first character but that could just be because I wasn't used to the fast combat and managing my Ki properly. When you clear one level I went through the same level with my second character and whizzed through it. it is so satisfying.

• Yeah, Nioh's sold out around here too, my friend can't grab a copy. Everybody is surprised with how well it's selling since its a "niche title." It's almost like if you create a good game in a subgenre that people enjoy people will buy it or something!????

• @Galaxy40k said in Nioh - (PS4):

Yeah, Nioh's sold out around here too, my friend can't grab a copy. Everybody is surprised with how well it's selling since its a "niche title." It's almost like if you create a good game in a subgenre that people enjoy people will buy it or something!????

Being a "good game" or not doesn't always matter. This is about will a lot of people think that the game is good and interesting enough to buy it at launch?

I'm pretty sure it took Valkyria Chronicles months and a push from fans to drive sales for the game over 700 000, but Nioh managed to sell 1 million around launch week.

• @suplextrain Yeah I know, I'm just being cheeky because we always get these explanation from publishers about how a game didn't sell well because people don't want it, rather than the game being bad. "Gee the poor sales of Ghost Recon Future Soldier really show that there is no room for a tactical shooter in the marketplace, let's make an open world Call of Duty instead" when in reality people are starving for a good GR game, it didn't sell because you made a bad game lol

• Global Moderator

Nioh (and it's season pass) has just gone on sale on the EU PSN.

I was planning on just picking up the base game but I'm curious what people who've played it and/or the dlc think? I heard the game gets a grindy and is very long. Would getting the dlc negate this to some extent and the main thing, is the dlc good?

• @tokeeffe9 said in Nioh (PS4):

Nioh (and it's season pass) has just gone on sale on the EU PSN.

I was planning on just picking up the base game but I'm curious what people who've played it and/or the dlc think? I heard the game gets a grindy and is very long. Would getting the dlc negate this to some extent and the main thing, is the dlc good?

Nioh isn't grindy at all unless you make it so.
    Nioh has a lot of extra missions where you replay stages (or parts of stages) with different enemies, nightmare versions and so on for bonus items, gear and unlockables. The people complaining about it being "grindy" play through all of them. Just play the stuff you enjoy.

I haven't had time to play the DLC yet but I heard people like it. I mean if you want more of Nioh with different settings and enemies then then play the DLC, basically. It's not radically different from the main game to my understanding.

• Global Moderator

So I finally got around to playing through the main campaign of Nioh over the last month.

I think the game is great really with some flaws that hold it back from being fantastic. The setting is really cool. It just feels like it's been a while since I've personally played in a fuedal japan like setting, probably since Ninja Gaiden and that's something I want to get out of the way early. This game typically brought on all the Souls comparisons but really this is an evolution of Ninja Gaiden with a lot of souls elements in it. It feels really strange now just thinking about all that coverage when the truth is far closer to home.

I think the game starts off very strongly. It does a great job in introducing you to the mechanics and slowly giving you different enemies to face. I'd also say that the earlier bosses are probably more so on the challenging side. The combat in the game feels great. Getting an understanding on using the stances and getting your Ki pulse back is great. It just feels very satisfying when you get that right and remove the yokai drain.

I never felt particularly frustrated at dying in this game. What I mean by that I always felt like things were close by so if I died I get back pretty quickly. Now there were definitely times where I died and didn't feel like it was fair. On a few occasions enemy animations would just completely reset into something else when they had no stamina. This got me killed once and near death on another occasion and it just sucked when it happened really. In a game like this, you can't have it feel unfair at times.

Another issue i had was with loot. I didn't love it in the beta and it didn't improve that much in the final game. I just found that every time I finished a level I'd have a look at whatever new gear is the best and sell everything else. It was just a chore. To add to that I'd so much gold and felt like I'd nothing to spend it on. The blacksmith seems completely useless in this game since you just find better gear out on a mission. So for me, I just wish there was none of that in the game. Just give me one piece of each weapon/armour instead of just checking the stats between them to see if I've a better version now.

Which I guess brings me to the other main... not really issue but I guess problem with the game. It is very much once you've played a decent bit, there isn't much different in the game. It feels like that was more of a design choice really to keep the game how they wanted it but it does make fighting the same enemies with different weapons less appealing. Even more so when you literally fight the same bosses again. That kind of thing always bothers me. Whatever about in the side missions but it's really disappointing in the main mission.

Still though, I want to commend how much fun I still had with this game and how satisfying it is when you get into the flow of the weapons you're using and how powerful you can feel when you get in the flow of things and use your spirit correctly. It's very satisfying to take out a few enemies that otherwise could have been a hard fight if you just mistimed that attack one or twicel.

I've got the dlc too but I'm going to take a break for a while I think and get back to it some other time. It sounds like the game sold well enough so I do hope they're able to come back and make an even better game in future.