Whats Everybody's Thoughts on Exclusives?

• I'm fine with exclusives that is what sets gaming hardware apart without that distinction there would be no reason to own multiple consoles. I would go PC and stay there.

• Games Exclusives = Consoles Exclusivity. I like to to own console which sets it apart from all others. Exclusives help sell the device and makes console worthwhile. Exclusives expose the potential of a console. The also help you decide which console is the right for you. For example I like PS4 and Switch because they are populated with the genre I like.

Obviously there are many advantages of having exclusive games but as far as cons go I feel that the only time I would hate an exclusive for the console is when thats the only exclusive game on the system and they are using it to sell a 200-300 dollar hardware. That pisses me off.

• I get WHY they need to exist, I just don't like the practice.

But this is coming from a guy that when Atari and kalecovision stopped being a thing there was ONLY the NES. When SNES came out it was only THEN the concept of a different system with exclusive games became a thing for me when Sega released the genesis.

Only thing was back then it wasn't like 15% exclusives and everything else was multiplatform, the vast majority of games on those systems were unique to their consoles with a much much smaller overlap of multiplatform titles, and even then games had exclusive features on each system. (Mortal Kombat not being censored on Genesis being one of the earliest examples).

But NOW it's just a few really meaningful exclusives and the vast majority of games are all multiplatform, and nowadays there's very little variation in features or even performance anymore, unless you compare consoles to PC.

It's just an outdated concept that I wish would go away, but it never will. These companies can't sell their products without exclusives, that's just the way it is.

• @ZyloWolfBane

I agree with this. I was gonna say removing exclusives negates the point of having a console or making a console. We'd all be on PCs.

• In my not so very informed opinion exclusives are about the only thing that keeps consoles viable as a gaming platform. As @Mbun pointed out, some make use of hardware specific advantages like the dual screen, but most games are made to span at least a couple platforms such as XB and PC, or PS and PC. As such, when a true exclusive comes along, it's only to bolster sales of a specific console. So my thought is that the industry is playing the consumers with their exclusives.

All that being said, I did just buy a PS4 with the intent of playing PS4 exclusives and a few couch co-op games. Well played, Sony. Well played.

• It's a differentiating factor for the hardware companies, so it is something that comes with the territory of any business, and I frankly think it is silly to think it should be different. In every single industry companies try to get an edge over their competitors in different ways, and it is up to the consumers to make the choice that fits them best, and live with the upside and downside of that decision.

• @bard91

Like sticking through with Sony during the early years of PS3. Tough times. I never gave up but damn those days were intense.

• I don't like it, but I understand. I would prefer if everything could be played anywhere, but Its good for a game to be an exclusive, since it gets more attention from that company, which in turn bolsters the significance of the console. It's healthy for the industry, not so much for the audience.

• Banned

@Yoshi My problem with that is, at least going by the last three generations of consoles, Nintendo does not often recieve nearly as much third party support as competing platforms.
    I also like to choose which platform I purchase games on based on how well they perform, which means most of my purchases are made on PC or PS4. The Switch's middling specs when compared to other current generation consoles means I will probably be continuing that trend, portability notwithstanding.
    I'm excited for the Switch, but mostly because I know I will get to play the usual awesome Nintendo exclusives I already love.

• If the exclusive is because sony/microsoft/nintendo/whoever forked over a stack of cash to a game in development to lock it out from being released on other platforms that sucks

If Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo/Whoever is funding development of a game to create an appeal for their platform that's fantastic

Saving games that wouldnt have been finished like Bayonetta 2? great
    Localizing games that otherwise wouldnt have been translated like Yakuza? fantastic
    ONE MONTH EXCLUSIVE CALL OF DUTY MAPS!!!! get out of here with that nonsense

• Other than it being the only reason to buy one system over another. And exclusives usually are better optimized when its on fewer platforms. Exclusives provide additional incentive for companies to invest in the gaming industry. For the sake of system brand promotion.

Just think of why Windows and Black Berry phones. Pale in comparison to Apple and Android. It simply comes down to content and greater developer support via apps.

• @El-Shmiablo well that all really depends on the sales and so far the Switch has had a much more positive reaction from the public than the Wii U ever had from both the public and Developers.

so if games like Zelda, Arms, Mario Kart and Splatoon 2 can keep that sales momemtum going throughout the first half of the year we should be seeing more proper 3rd Party support after Skyrim and FIFA 18, maybe even around the same time as those games since some developers have already been commenting on just how how fast they were able to port indie games over to the Switch.

i think i remember it was either the binding of isaac or snake pass developers who commented that it only took them a month to port their game rather than 6 months or something like that like they thought it would when they ported their game over to Switch

• Exclusives are bad for consumers in the sense that it either forces you buy multiple consoles or miss out on some products you want, but....I know this is going to be an unpopular line of thought, but in the long run I think exclusives are good for consumers. Exclusive games are THE differentiating factor between console manufacturers. It helps breed a competitive marketplace. Competition is very good for consumers in the long run. It's why its good that both iOS and Android exist even if there are some apps/games you would want that is only on the other OS.

• so every one kinda agrees that their a necessary evil

• @FF7Cloud I don't think they are an evil at all, they are a natural outcome of a competitive industry, and the only way they are actually a negative is for someone that can't have access to them based on their decisions, and that is something that gamers as consumers simply need to accept, and deal with the consequences of their decisions.

• @bard91 i agree 100%

• Exclusive games actively promote the quality of the art form. You think you'd get Mario 64 from some third party that just wants to sell copies and make a profit? Nononono. You would, however, get that from a first party who has a significant investment in this platform. Whose interest it is in to promote and grow the medium.

I have without a doubt enjoyed exclusive games more than I have any third party titles. I really like Bethesda games, but I like Zelda more, and The Last of Us certainly provides a valuable experience that no third party so far has.

I realize this is probably biased this generation if you have an Xbox One and not a PS4 — this spring in particular (Gravity Rush 2, Nioh, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Nier: Automata, Persona 5) must feel pretty bad looking from the outside in. However, that is just kind of the game with regard to how exclusives work. You bet on a console and before you have the benefit of hindsight.

Even a game like Inside. It made its money from Microsoft, got them to help out with marketing a little bit, and came to other platforms later. I waited for Inside and Rise of the Tomb Raider to come out on PS4, bought them on their retrospective launch dates, and enjoyed them both immensely. They're both definitely in my favorite 5 games of 2016 and I have no regrets waiting for them or misgivings that they were exclusive to another platform first. Square Enix obviously doesn't need the money like Playdead does, but I'm not clawing tooth and nail for another Tomb Raider either.

• @Nillend See I'm not sure it's "healthy for the industry" since we have an artificially created atmosphere in which subpar graphics are now actually acceptable for Xbox games in particular as compared to PC, or to a lesser degree, PS. I think it's actually holding back innovation. Sure it keeps consoles on the market, but if games were judged not by their exclusive status but instead by their art, graphical strength and beauty, design, and creativity I think we'd potentially have a more competitive game market. If a game gets a console exclusive deal, I feel like that allows that game a degree of laziness because they don't need to be ready for the person with the native 4K or higher gaming machine, just the console specific set up.

• Banned

@Yoshi I can't deny that. They really did the job right with marketing the Switch as compared to the WiiU, but then again, that isn't the biggest accomplishment considering how abysmal WiiU marketing was.

I'm just worried that, other than those games you mentioned, there won't be much else to draw in gamers. A lot of the multiplatform titles being released this year have had no mention of it they are going to get Switch ports or not. I hope they do, because I would love for Nintendo to really hit this out of the park. Two generations of disappointment really soured me on Nintendo for a while, but they seem to be on the right path now.

It shouldn't be that hard for people to develop for the Switch. Its essentially an Nvidia Shield, which is getting some great support.

• Again, I separate bought exclusivity from designed exclusivity. Buying exclusivity is paying money to a third party developer to keep a game out of the hands of people who don't own your particular product.

Designed exclusivity is making a game yourself, that is made to work with your own console.

The former sucks, the latter is good.