Whats Everybody's Thoughts on Exclusives?

• @Yoshi I can't deny that. They really did the job right with marketing the Switch as compared to the WiiU, but then again, that isn't the biggest accomplishment considering how abysmal WiiU marketing was.

I'm just worried that, other than those games you mentioned, there won't be much else to draw in gamers. A lot of the multiplatform titles being released this year have had no mention of it they are going to get Switch ports or not. I hope they do, because I would love for Nintendo to really hit this out of the park. Two generations of disappointment really soured me on Nintendo for a while, but they seem to be on the right path now.

It shouldn't be that hard for people to develop for the Switch. Its essentially an Nvidia Shield, which is getting some great support.

• Again, I separate bought exclusivity from designed exclusivity. Buying exclusivity is paying money to a third party developer to keep a game out of the hands of people who don't own your particular product.

Designed exclusivity is making a game yourself, that is made to work with your own console.

The former sucks, the latter is good.

• @TokyoSlim said in Whats Everybody's Thoughts on Exclusives?:

Again, I separate bought exclusivity from designed exclusivity. Buying exclusivity is paying money to keep a game out of the hands of people who don't own your product.

Designed exclusivity is making a game yourself, that is made to work with your own console.

The former sucks, the latter is good.

#WednesdayWisdom :)

• @Av8orGamer Of course, the converse of this statement is that it is possible that console exclusive deals may be what ensures some games actually release. So in that sense, it can be good if it promotes a more robust gaming market as a whole.

See what I did there? I just flipped.

no consistency right?

silly PC gamer nerd.

• @FF7Cloud

This is hilarious, I was thinking of this topic earlier today and thought i might post something.

I dont understand why people are so uptight about exclusives. Do we really need three systems that all play the same thing?

The answer to that is no lol.

If there was no exclusives i would argue there is absolutely no need to have more than one console on the market. These titles are flagship games that are out to promote their hardware. The one argument against this could be that hardware manufacturers should focus on trying to release consoles with features that attract more people. But that seems kinda pointless if thats the only difference you get.

If you cant create good content or have awesome system features then you shouldn't be making consoles. Exclusives on streaming services such as amazon and netflix to consoles games allows for healthy competition. Also back in the day, you rarely had people that had more than one console. Exclusives were a harder pill to swallow back then. Now its not uncommon for people to game on multiple devices. I imagine it to be slightly annoying to have to have three consoles hooked up to the TV but thats your choice as a consumer.

I would also argue that having exclusive lineups creates jobs for people. When a company wants to make sure they are producing quality exclusive titles, they're going to open up and keep studios to make sure they achieve that.

• I think that each of the major guys out there handle exclusives in their own unique sort of way.

Nintendo know what they are. They create games for the fans of their games, very rarely taking any sort of huge risk, which is both a blessing and a curse. You know what you are getting with Nintendo, and it is always quality stuff.

Sony understand the value of vanity projects. No other company would have allowed the development of The Last Guardian to drag on as long as Sony did. Anybody else would have canned it, but they kept it going, because even though it ended up not being the best game, it had become a sort of "icon" among gamers, and they knew that NOT releasing it would have been a bad move. I like to think that they also have the best variety of games. You get a lot of "safe" games, like your Killzones and your Uncharteds, but they you also get a lot of stuff like Gravity Rush, Tearaway, Bloodborne, Until Dawn, etc. They might not sell the most, but there is always something for every type of gamer.

Microsoft, in my opinion, fall into the "bought" exclusivity that has been mentioned. If it isn't Halo, Forza, or Gears, it is almost certainly something that was purchased from an outside developer to be exclusive to the console. Hell, a lot of those "bought exclusives" aren't even exclusive anymore, or more recently those bought exclusives are either in development hell, or outright cancelled when they aren't exactly what Microsoft wants.
    Most of their exclusives being available on PC as well also diminishes any reason to choose their console over the competition.

Then you have PC, which is some radiant, six armed, drunken elder god that does whatever the fuck it wants because reasons. If a game is PC exclusive it is usually because it simply isn't feasible one current console tech, has a specific control scheme that can't/is difficult to replicate on a controller, or just because it doesn't really fit anywhere else.

• If there was no exclusives i would argue there is absolutely no need to have more than one console on the market.

See this right here is the problem in my mind. Exclusives force the market to buy multiple systems to play everything. That means a gamer needs to have $1200+ sunk into three consoles just to play most console games. That doesn't even touch PC. In a market where everything ran on everything, Sony, MS, Nin would all need to produce some other reason to have demand for their system. Fracturing the market with exclusives creates demands for the separate systems. It's a money game, and the consumer loses.

At least that's my take.

• @El-Shmiablo said in Whats Everybody's Thoughts on Exclusives?:

Then you have PC, which is some radiant, six armed, drunken elder god that does whatever the fuck it wants because reasons.

Don't you mean, radiant, six armed MASTER RACE?

:P

• @Av8orGamer said in Whats Everybody's Thoughts on Exclusives?:

If there was no exclusives i would argue there is absolutely no need to have more than one console on the market.

See this right here is the problem in my mind. Exclusives force the market to buy multiple systems to play everything. That means a gamer needs to have $1200+ sunk into three consoles just to play most console games. That doesn't even touch PC. In a market where everything ran on everything, Sony, MS, Nin would all need to produce some other reason to have demand for their system. Fracturing the market with exclusives creates demands for the separate systems. It's a money game, and the consumer loses.

At least that's my take.

Yeah, i see your point and i touched on it slightly. I dont think trying to make a console unique in features while maintaining a reasonable price point is very lucrative for Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. If nintendo allowed their games to be on PS and Xbox they wouldn't exist and would have to become strictly third party. It's their exclusives that keeps them around. You could argue their unique hardware does, but i believe most people wouldn't even bother.

I get that it's an annoyance to gamers to have to shell out if they want to play all the games. But thats competition. I know i would like to have access to all the games but, i do feel If there was only one console, I think things would be far worse. And I dont beleive theres enough incentive for any of these companies to create inclusive consoles with unique features. Most features would be the same anyways. Look at smart phones. pretty much the same. The difference is, that its far more lucrative and they sell new phones like crazy every year. People wont do the same for consoles.

but i get your point. In a perfect world.

• Well, exclusives are the only reason consoles even exist. Otherwise, everyone would play on PC. The whole concept of a console without exclusives is as silly as Steam consoles, which Steam made obsolete themselves with Steam Link. In a world without exclusives, there would be almost no AAA games. No Uncharted, no God of War, no Gears of War, at least not like we know them. It does annoy me when a console I don't own gets a cool exclusive, but to be honest, if it's on a Nintendo console, people will be able to emulate it eventually, and if it's on Xbox, it'll be on PC eventually.

• @El-Shmiablo

i'm not really worried about that. they have already have confirmed Zelda, Splatoon, Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem Warriors and Mario Odyssey coming this year (well xenoblade 2 is a MAYBE 2017 unless it gets delayed to 2018 which could easily happen). and then also a full fledged Fire Emblem coming 2018.

those games alone, are big franchise's that will help encourage people to buy Switch consoles within the first year.

and then on top of that we need to remember that those 6 games alone were just announced in January. Nintendo still has the entire rest of the year to keep announcing more Switch games including E3 which is only 3 or 4 months away now.

in other words, they have plenty of time to keep announcing stuff throughout 2017.

• @Av8orGamer said in Whats Everybody's Thoughts on Exclusives?:

tually holding back innovation. Sure it keeps consoles on the market, but if games were judged not by their exclusive status but instead by their art, graphical strength and beauty, design, and creativity I think we'd potentially have a more competitive game market. If a game gets a console exclusive deal, I feel like that allows that game a degree o

Oh, I agree with everything you said. What I meant with healthy is that it keeps some developers afloat and it keeps competition alive between platforms. I very much dislike it, but I understand why a developer would choose this path, even if its somewhat more lazy and easier, as you said.

• I have a PS4, so I have access to most of the worthwhile exclusives, so I don't mind them.

• @CGamor7 Well said. And honestly, I think we've got it pretty good overall. :)

• @Nillend Ah... sorry. If it does keep devs afloat, I guess I'm ok. :)

• You know what is going to be annoying and I see no purpose in. Several digital store fronts that will be needed to play PC lol. At the moment you have EA's Origin, Microsofts store, Steam and GoG, all in which have exclusive content except for maybe GoG (I could be off). I'm sure we will see a playstation storefront one day different the PS Now on PC. Easier then having multiple consoles but still annoying to have.

• @CGamor7 said in Whats Everybody's Thoughts on Exclusives?:

You know what is going to be annoying and I see no purpose in.

So you'd prefer it if Steam had monopoly?

• I love exclusives. The reality of this industry is that a lot of great games aren't commercially viable products. They may be niche, or small scale, ahead of their times, or just too different from conventional games, and won't sell.

Publishers will never put money on these games, because despite that people may want them, despite that they may do something interesting for gaming as a whole, they're unlikely to generate a significant profit. Exclusivity is a great workaround for this problem. These games might not be commercial powerhouses, but as long as they're interesting and critically acclaimed, by attaching them to a specific console, their existence adds value to that console in the eyes of consumers, which makes an entirely justifiable investment for a console manufacturer.

The fact is that a large portion, if not the majority of these exclusive games would never have happened were it not for the exclusivity. Having them be playable by everyone regardless of your chosen platform was never a possibility in the first place, and personally I'd rather they exist at all than not.

So I think exclusives are great.

• @suplextrain said in Whats Everybody's Thoughts on Exclusives?:

@CGamor7 said in Whats Everybody's Thoughts on Exclusives?:

You know what is going to be annoying and I see no purpose in.

So you'd prefer it if Steam had monopoly?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/221300/

Couldn't help it. I'm sorry!

• @suplextrain

No, But storefronts such as origin where the publisher only puts their games on it and nowhere else is more to what i was speaking to. EA games should be on Steam and GoG. I dont want to have another client just to have the three EA games ill buy.