Best couch cooperative games of all time?

• I personally am a HUGE fan of Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. I will sing that game praises to the high heavens for days. Yes it took a lot of effort to set up, but sitting around with your buddies and playing four person FFCC was so rewarding. Working together with your spells, taking on different playstyles, and choosing the careers of your parents to get the ultimate equips. Satisfying.

• One of my fondest memories is playing the co-op offered by Portal 2. A friend and myself just started diving into the game real late at night and even when we got stuck (I specifically remember both of us beating our heads against one puzzle for an hour), we kept trying new things and refused to quit. Plus, Atlas and Peabody give off some insane jolly vibes.

• Of all time is hard, but man did I love sinking 100's of hours into Phantasy Star Online for the Dreamcast. Pretty much the only MMORPG kinda like game I really put serious time into. The game is fairly barebones when compared to games of today but for its time with 56K internet it was a damn good fun.

• It might not be a favorite of many... but my fiance and I loved playing Borderlands.

Of course having a PS3 and 4 did not lend itself to much couch co op. We just liked shooting things together.

• Goldeneye 007
    Diablo 3 ps4
    Resident Evil 5
    Little Big Planet franchise

• Diablo 3 is some sexy as fuck couch coop.
    Resident Evil 5 is also one of my favorite coop games ever.
    Guardian Heroes, my favorite game ever, is also fucking amazing to play with a pal.
    Also Gunstar Heroes.
    Basically anything made by Treasure.

• I've probably had the best times with either Smash Bros. 64 and Melee or Timesplitters 2.

• It's almost criminal no one mentioned Contra yet!

Since I dont play with many people these days and playing with other family growing up my list is more retro...plus retro games haf no onlinr play so they were made for couchplay. Plus with less buttons it's easier for casual gamers to join in.

Contra, metal slug, Super Double Dragon IV, tmnt games on nes/Genesis/SNES' minus the first nes one, track and field nes, road rash 64, bubble bobble, the legend of the Mystical Ninja, guardian heros, new super mario bros, super mario 3d world, point blank and other light gun games.

This is what comes to mind right now. I wanna think about this some more. To me couchplay was the best multiplayer.

• @Ringedwithtile said in Best couch cooperative games of all time?:

I've probably had the best times with either Smash Bros. 64 and Melee or Timesplitters 2.

This all day every day.

• I reckon I am going to be alone with this one but I really love playing good ol' Point & Clicks with backseat co-op.

Tough puzzles go down way faster and you can share your aha-experiences right on the spot.

JOLLY TIMES, in my humble opinion, of course.

• @Munkkiman said in Best couch cooperative games of all time?:

I reckon I am going to be alone with this one but I really love playing good ol' Point & Clicks with backseat co-op.

Tough puzzles go down way faster and you can share your aha-experiences right on the spot.

JOLLY TIMES, in my humble opinion, of course.

Oh man! Nothing beats having a video game wingman, especially with adventure games. If the game is good enough, you can have your friend/significant other taking notes, making observations and you can work as a team to solve puzzles. A great one that I would recommend is playing the game, Her Story.

When talking about couch co-op, I can not help but point out the bomberman series, particularly for me, Saturn Bomberman. There is something special about that series when you and your friends try not to blow each other up to reach your goal, but always end up doing so regardless.

Other great couch co-op games have to go with the New Super Mario Bros. series and Super Mario 3D World. My wife and I have 100% all of those games together as a team and it is a wild ride of frustrations and laughs. Incredibly memorable.

• @BogusMeatFactory
    I personally enjoy playing a single player game with other people, even if im not playing. Kinda think a lot of people do and that's part of the reason streaming is so popular.
    Oh man, Saturn Bomberman. It's a great game and probably the best bomerman, but I never really got into it. My friend had it and the adapter for up to 6 players i think. He was just a couple levels better at bomberman then the rest of us, couldn't get a competitive match and the interest faded, still fantastic MP game

• Recently: Diablo III, Dead Nation, Helldivers... Old-school: Gauntlet, Joust, Smash TV, lots of brawlers.

• Halo 1 and 2 are excellent Co-Op games, which makes it such a travesty that they removed offline Co-Op from Halo 5

• Borderlands 2 was a ton of fun. Gunstar Heroes was mentioned already but i'll add Streets of Rage 2 from that era as well. Still great to this day

• Couch co-op Spelunky is a special kind of misery.

@Abdul-M said in Best couch cooperative games of all time?:

Streets of Rage 2

yessssssssss

Youtube Video

Youtube Video

• Battlefront 2 comes to mind for me. Recently my roommate and I played through DKC: Tropical Freeze coop and had a lot of fun.

Back in highschool/college I used to play Black Ops Zombies a ton with a friend of mine.. learning all the strats and secrets and seeing how far we could get was a lot of fun. I think the farthest we got was 55 or so

• Super Off Road

alt text

Not strictly co-op as you're competing, still a fun game to play together with someone, especially when you have to combine forces to beat that bastard silver car.

King of the Monsters

alt text

Throw a boat at Godzilla Geon.

Whilst you can play it as a straight up fighter/wrestler game, going up against the computer with two wrastlin' monsters is the real joy.

Golden Axe

Youtube Video

Give me back that fire-breathing lizard mount you thieving git.

HIT THAT IMP.

alt text

• Resistance 3 was quite some fun in co-op, as was Resistance 1, but 3 is definitely better. But Secret of Mana is my go-to co-op game. Timesplitters 2 and future perfect are also great fun. ALSO, I like playing two headed giant in MTG games with buddy next to me.

• I have fond memories of playing Time splitters on PS2 as well a previously mentioned Streets of Rage 2 & Golden Axe. I just bought Dragons Crown on PS3 I haven't checked but hopefully that has couch co-op I could see that being a favourite.