Nintendo Switch Launch/Hype

• @Mbun i don't see the problem. can you even tell the difference without a side by side comparison? Would we even notice if Nintendo didn't list the differences between the two versions? Do we know the extent of how much higher in quality the audio is for the Switch version?

The audio for the Wii U shouldn't be bad. Nintendo just stated the Switch audio samples will sound better. I'd hope that Nintendo wouldn't have the gall to sabotage one of their most important games just to make their new console more enticing.

Let's not get carried away here. It looks to be really good game, maybe great. Historical? I doubt it, but we'll see.

• Banned

@Mbun said in Nintendo Switch Launch/Hype:

Gotta make that first playthrough as special and memorable as possible.

So should we all wait until it's fully playable on Cemu?

Wouldn't want to play that inferior 720p sub 30fps Wii U version.

• @Art This.

So much this.

I want to see that beautiful BotW on Cemu. Unfortunately, the Switch version is said to have more textures so even if we do render it a 4K 60fps, there might be some missing assets.

HOWEVER, that sweet mod community might grace us with love!

• @GranArcanum
    That's inconceivable

• Banned

Tv's?

Where we're going we don't need Tv's.

• @thenerdtheword you sly dog...

• @matt @Art Mbun is referring to the audio mapping, which for comparison was said to be a single, looping track for horse footsteps on Wii U, with a different one for galloping. Meanwhile the Switch version will dynamically play the sounds for each individual hoof fall when transitioning from a walk to a trot and a gallop.

And for a game as ambient as this Zelda looks to be, a little audio fidelity could be worth a lot — who knows!

@Mbun said in Nintendo Switch Launch/Hype:

A game like this doesn't come along every day.

That's inevitably true. 3D Zelda games are historic if only by the virtue of only coming out once every five or six years. Thankfully the DLC will alleviate some of that wait this time.

• @Haru17 said in Nintendo Switch Launch/Hype:

@matt @Art Mbun is referring to the audio mapping, which for comparison was said to be a single, looping track for horse footsteps on Wii U, with a different one for galloping. Meanwhile the Switch version will dynamically play the sounds for each individual hoof fall when transitioning from a walk to a trot and a gallop.

And for a game as ambient as this Zelda looks to be, a little audio fidelity could be worth a lot — who knows!

Honestly, I wouldn't have caught that nuance until you told me. I'm sure the sound design for the Wii U is in line with previous 3D Zelda entries which never had any serious issues. Its not like they're gonna bork the Wii U's audio to mono. Haven't heard anything about enhanced audio mapping though; just "higher quality" environmental sounds. Is there a source for this?

I'm surprised Nintendo isn't enforcing devs to support both play styles. Hopefully the the list of unsupported TV games is short and trivial. Learn something from PSTV's failure.

• @Yoshi I'm all for it honestly, what i want is some games to be more designed for mobile gaming and some others being more for couch play.
    being limited to just the traditional controller would be a waste.

• @matt said:

Haven't heard anything about enhanced audio mapping though; just "higher quality" environmental sounds. Is there a source for this?

Forgive me for not digging up wherever I saw them say this was a difference between the Wii U and Switch versions, getting this alone while dodging spoilers was hard enough, but here you go.
    https://youtu.be/9bnKkpdVjXY 4 minutes, 53 seconds

• @matt I think comparing this to PSTV's anything is a bit of a stretch. That launch was uneventful even for a peripheral.

It isn't a stretch that mobile game ports will rely on the touch screen — those have always been low-effort titles. A major AAA publisher making the same choice just doesn't make any sense, as those games are all button-based.

• @Haru17 relax. the situation is similar. I didn't compare the two consoles themselves. I think it's too early to assume anything really

@Mbun regardless, thanks for the vid. It was a good watch. Not sure if it's really true about the Switch having enhanced audio mapping for Zelda. I would think something like that would be well documented. Instead I just see the repeated broad statement claiming higher quality audio which will make the environment sound more realistic. That's actually not saying much at all.

• Any reason for telling me to relax? Seems pretty uncalled for. I'll let you know if my em dashes are RAGE dashes.

• @Haru17 relax on being overly defensive about the Switch. all I said was that Nintendo could learn from the failure from the PSTV. People were annoyed that it didn't deliver on its sole premise; a Vita that used a TV as a screen. Then people found out that simply wasn't the case when it didn't support all Vita games.

There's a reason why this is news. The premise of the Switch is to be able to seamlessly "switch" between TV and portable. Now we're learning that some games won't be able to make the "switch".

That's hardly a stretch from the issue I described about the PSTV. Obviously we don't know if this affect will anything. The Switch isn't even out yet and we've yet to hear all of the details for the games coming out for it.

• @Yoshi No, I'm talking about I Am Setsuna, Sonic Mania, and the plethora of indie titles that won't see a physical release. No matter which way you cut it, 32 GB is small and 64 GB should have been the standard.

• @matt I don't think you realize why pstv failed, it's because the vita failed

• @Bigdude1
    Honestly we could probably go on for a good while why the Vita failed, although I'd think that the biggest issues with the Vita is the proprietary Memory Card, instead of using a SD or micro SD card. the Cost of said Memory card, with a 32GB Vita card costing up to $90, while a SD card of the same size at the time it release was $30-$40. The lack of games, admittedly the Vita had a pretty strong launch lineup with Uncharted, Gravity Rush, Wipeout, Rayman Origins, UMvC3, Katamari and Blazeblue. Not a bad launch lineup, but it seems like not long after promised projects (Bioshock Vita for instance) and missing functions (why weren't all PS1 games, and PSP games avaliable from the start, and still are not available), and one major game not being give a Western Release (PSO2). Its really not a surprise in retrospect that the Vita died, oh and not to forget COD VIta bombing, along with AC Liberation.

To me it seemed like Sony's plan was to have a strong first year, with a mix of old and new IP's on the Vita's release (Uncharted and Gravity Rush), with the major yearly third party titles (COD and AC) sort of picking up the slack towards the end of the year, along with cross buy titles helping things along during the summer season (Sly 4, PS All Stars, and others). However when that didnt go as planned, the idea must have been internally to switch the system to a PS2 on the go, thus we started seeing the HD collections pop up on Vita (GoW, R&C, Sly, Jak, MGS) sales were still slow, at this point the PS4 was about to release, so then the idea was to try and sell the Vita as a companion device to it, allowing you to stream your PS4 games on the go. Another year passed, sales barley moved, which eventually leads us to now, with the Vita pretty much just being on Life Support thanks to the handful of third party titles that get released for it on occasion.

As for the Vita TV or Playstation TV, I feel like that was an attempt to appeal to the western market that released in Japan first for some reason, although the only thing I really have to back that up is alot of comments from the Playstation Blog saying things like "Id love to be able to play P4G, or Uncharted GA, on my TV with a DS3" or things of that nature. However with the PSTV not having access to all Vita games, and still relying on the proprietary memory card, it just didn't have a chance.

Ill admit I love my Vita, P4G, and PSO2 saved me from many a boring night at work (Gotta love being finishing work at 1-2am, and being locked in till 5am), but I feel like its Achilles heel was the memory card, with them being outrageously priced in comparison to a regular micro SD card (again $80 for 32GB Vita, like $20 for micro SD)
    Sadly Sony missed its chances to correct this issue with the revised Vita system, or with the PS TV, which has put the system in its current state.

(well that went on longer then I thought it would.)