Nintendo Switch Launch/Hype

• There are plenty of valid criticisms, which is good for Nintendo to hear. Hopefully they'll take some of the feedback to heart. However, I personally don't really take any issue with things as they stand, and I am super excited to be receiving a new Nintendo console/handheld so soon. They were a huge part of my childhood, and I still love their games and franchises. I'm currently just getting a system and Zelda, maybe a screen protector too.

I've been so busy lately that the release has sneaked up on me! But it's my birthday at the end of the month and I just landed a new job as a rescue EMT, so it's a good present to myself.

• I am beyond HYPED!

To the point that I keep having to talk myself down from buying to much extra accessories and games on launch day

• @Yoshi Yup Snipperclips at launch, that's great news, and the price is decent too! After the confirmation that Fast RMX and Shovel Knight will also hit March 3rd, the lineup is starting to look very decent!

• Damn was planning to request the week off so I could jump completely into Zelda, but just found out one of my coworkers is in the hospital.

• My hype is somewhere between ecstatic and nonexistent, it depends on what side of the bed I woke up on. I am not buying one Day 1 and don't have plans on picking one up for a while. I am going to miss being apart of the festivities though. Watching all the Switch videos from The Nine is not going to make it any easier. The main reason I'm out for the time being is because of the lacking launch lineup. I could talk about how much money it is once you factor in all of the accessories and such but if I really wanted it I wouldn't think twice about dropping the money. Portability isn't at all important to me so I'm deaf to the main draw. I can get Zelda for my WiiU so I am set. I still find myself wanting one just because its a new Nintendo console but I already have too many games on my backlog I don't need a new console yet. I might buy one Holiday 2017 when Super Mario Odyssey launches, but most likely not until the next big release or two happens.

• @Yoshi Yes! I forgot about that game. Snipperclips is definitely on my list.

@Mbun ugh, I'm still bummed about the D-pad. Nintendo had the best D-pads. NES, SNES, GB and GBA games are best played with a D-pad. I can't play Street Fighter, Tetris, Super Contra and Super Metroid with an analog stick. I'm not paying $50 for 1-2 switch, so the only 2-player joycon game I would be interested in is Mario Kart.

@Sentinel-Beach Thanks for the vid. I had no idea they posted this.

I think I'm convinced, I would rarely/never play Zelda BotW on the go. So I'm gonna stick with my Wii U and bite on the Switch when Mario Odyssey comes out.

• @matt said in Nintendo Switch Launch/Hype:

@Mbun ugh, I'm still bummed about the D-pad. Nintendo had the best D-pads. NES, SNES, GB and GBA games are best played with a D-pad. I can't play Street Fighter, Tetris, Super Contra and Super Metroid with an analog stick. I'm not paying $50 for 1-2 switch, so the only 2-player joycon game I would be interested in is Mario Kart.

Just use a Pro Controller then. that still has the D-Pad

• @Yoshi my main gripe is that they advertise it as a device that's great for travel based local multiplayer. Getting two $70 pro controllers and having to travel with them defeats that function. I understand it's their design choice to be able to give everyone two mini controllers standard with the console. I understand the available solutions. I just think the solutions suck. If I wanna play contra on a plane with my bro, I'm not gonna pack-in two pro controllers with me.

I just realized I can't even charge the joycons while playing off the TV. Not without buying an accessory or a secondary controller. No other console has this problem.

• @matt no other console has that problem because no other console can be played on both the TV and off the TV as a handheld.

any other console you would have had to lug around two bulky controllers to play street fighter with someone anyway. not to mention a huge ass console.

• @Yoshi just because it's a portable console doesn't excuse it from not having a way to charge off the dock. Its not like the solution doesn't exist. It's shitty that Nintendo chose to charge extra and have two separate joycon holders (charging and non charging). They have no problems making other hardware options standard. This was a business decision, not a limiting factor because it's a hybrid console.

If Im ever playing off the TV and run out of juice on my joycon I have no choice but to go handheld. If I have two pairs of joycons, by default I can only charge one set at a time.

I have games like metal slug and King of fighters on my phone that work with Bluetooth controllers. I have an 8bitdo on my keychain for $15. I had those games running on a $50 Android go phone no problems. Each can be charged independently if need be with any standard microUSB and USB adapter. The Switch may be a nice console and cutting edge portable, but portable local multiplayer is handled better through other means. I'm not saying it won't be a problem for everyone, it's just not very enticing for me. And thats a third of the key features.

• Decided a while back I was gonna wait on the switch, maybe till there's a bundle that comes with a game or something. After today with all the positive impressions of Zelda (which really isnt a surprise) I'm on the fence again. If the Switch is available on the floor without having to pre order or wait in long lines the temptation might be too much.

• @matt the Joy Cons have a 20 hour battery hour life. are you actually going to play the thing 24 hours straight or something?

just put them on the dock to charge when you go to bed each day. what's the bloody problem?

• I personally unplug everything that is not in use, even when turned off every device uses small amounts of electricity. With every system I load while playing. Nintendo does some backwards shit again here.

• @Musou-Tensei thats just being paranoid

• @Yoshi I have the opposite problem actually. I have a lot of games and systems. a common problem I have are drained batteries because it hasn't been used. I have an Xbox 360, PS3, PS4, Wii, and Wii U at my main TV (and most major retro consoles at the CRT). Usually three are hooked up to the TV and are ready to play.

It sucks to fire up the Wii U after it's been on hiatus and have both pro controller and gamepad depleted. But at least I can charge them at the couch while I use them.

• @matt if you're that concerned about it then just buy a charging grip for the Joy Con.

yeah that's money you have to spend on an accessory but it's not like that accessory is in anyway essential or anything.

• @matt said):

I just realized I can't even charge the joycons while playing off the TV.

Plug USB cable into the Grip that comes with your Switch and plug the Joycons into the same Grip. Both are now charging at once while playing off the TV. This is a way to charge off the dock.

It's shitty that Nintendo chose to charge extra and have two separate joycon holders (charging and non charging).

The charging and non charging Grip thing was a misreport. Neither of them charge the joycons without USB cable plugged in. It's exactly like the phone you're describing.

• @Mbun The grip that comes with the switch has no charging capability it's a blank plastic grip. You have to buy the one that you can charge the joycons from.

• @TokyoSlim Blood said they were the same awhile back after coming back from the Nintendo events.

• @Mbun I had to clarify that with him on youtube. He was incorrect. They only showed the charging grip at events so that they could keep stuff charged.

The grip that comes in box is just a plastic shell, it does not have a USB-C port.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/16/14285520/nintendo-switch-joy-con-charging-grip