Nintendo Switch Launch/Hype

• Global Moderator

Just saw commercial for 1-2 switch here in UK, I am so happy that they showed of the milking game! Im kinda hyped for it.. a little bit

• @mbun But I can charge my Wii U pad while playing without having to buy extra shit, that option is gone with the Switch.

• @Musou-Tensei no it isn't. USB C means you can charge the thing pretty much everywhere.

most people already own something like a phone battery power pack charger already lying around the house somewhere. it's easy enough to use something like that if you need to charge the tablet on the go.

• @benoit489 what you mean the digital only stuff like virtual console games that only cost you about $5 bucks each in the first place?

i'm sure you'll live. besides they're adding online multiplayer to some of those old NES and SNES games which already makes paying for them again infinitely more persuasive than miiverse features ever did for Wii U VC games

• @Yoshi No I meant in home console mode where you disconnect the joycons from the system to play, it's like with the Wii where you couldn't charge the Wiimotes while playing.

• @Musou-Tensei you get 20 hours battery life from the Joy Cons. that's more than enough.

it's not Nintendo's problem if you're too paranoid to leave electrical devices with the power on and charge stuff while you sleep.

• I just realized the charging joycon shell comes out at the end of March, or at least Amazon has it listed for the end of March.

So dum question, but I mentioned this in one of the community comments videos, but does anyone forsee a Switch Car Crash happening? I don't know why but I have a feeling that a month or so after release (or when Skyrim comes out) Someone will be dum enough to play and drive.

• @DMCMaster hehe no, I wouldn't think so. it's not like it's the first portable gaming device. There may be an increase in dog walking accidents though....

After a lengthy discussion and given the circumstances, I've put off the Switch til Mario comes out. I checked the stores here in Tokyo and game stores have signs posted indicating they're sold out. It's not looking like it's going to be readily available at launch and I'm not hyped enough to hunt one down. The only thing worth playing for me is Snipperclips. Playing Mario Kart and Zelda on the Wii U is fine by me.i have no desire to play them on the go.

• @matt said:

Playing Zelda on the Wii U is fine by me.

Hearing that makes me sad every time, knowing these people are going to miss out on the audio of the Switch version with the compromised, inferior Wii U version. A game like this doesn't come along every day. Gotta make that first playthrough as special and memorable as possible.

• @Mbun i don't see the problem. can you even tell the difference without a side by side comparison? Would we even notice if Nintendo didn't list the differences between the two versions? Do we know the extent of how much higher in quality the audio is for the Switch version?

The audio for the Wii U shouldn't be bad. Nintendo just stated the Switch audio samples will sound better. I'd hope that Nintendo wouldn't have the gall to sabotage one of their most important games just to make their new console more enticing.

Let's not get carried away here. It looks to be really good game, maybe great. Historical? I doubt it, but we'll see.

• Banned

@Mbun said in Nintendo Switch Launch/Hype:

Gotta make that first playthrough as special and memorable as possible.

So should we all wait until it's fully playable on Cemu?

Wouldn't want to play that inferior 720p sub 30fps Wii U version.

• @Art This.

So much this.

I want to see that beautiful BotW on Cemu. Unfortunately, the Switch version is said to have more textures so even if we do render it a 4K 60fps, there might be some missing assets.

HOWEVER, that sweet mod community might grace us with love!

• @GranArcanum
    That's inconceivable

• Banned

Tv's?

Where we're going we don't need Tv's.

• @thenerdtheword you sly dog...

• @matt @Art Mbun is referring to the audio mapping, which for comparison was said to be a single, looping track for horse footsteps on Wii U, with a different one for galloping. Meanwhile the Switch version will dynamically play the sounds for each individual hoof fall when transitioning from a walk to a trot and a gallop.

And for a game as ambient as this Zelda looks to be, a little audio fidelity could be worth a lot — who knows!

@Mbun said in Nintendo Switch Launch/Hype:

A game like this doesn't come along every day.

That's inevitably true. 3D Zelda games are historic if only by the virtue of only coming out once every five or six years. Thankfully the DLC will alleviate some of that wait this time.

• @Haru17 said in Nintendo Switch Launch/Hype:

@matt @Art Mbun is referring to the audio mapping, which for comparison was said to be a single, looping track for horse footsteps on Wii U, with a different one for galloping. Meanwhile the Switch version will dynamically play the sounds for each individual hoof fall when transitioning from a walk to a trot and a gallop.

And for a game as ambient as this Zelda looks to be, a little audio fidelity could be worth a lot — who knows!

Honestly, I wouldn't have caught that nuance until you told me. I'm sure the sound design for the Wii U is in line with previous 3D Zelda entries which never had any serious issues. Its not like they're gonna bork the Wii U's audio to mono. Haven't heard anything about enhanced audio mapping though; just "higher quality" environmental sounds. Is there a source for this?

I'm surprised Nintendo isn't enforcing devs to support both play styles. Hopefully the the list of unsupported TV games is short and trivial. Learn something from PSTV's failure.