Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?

• I just beat Guacamelee last night. I played with with my youngest brother while house sitting for my parents. It was an absolute blast! One of the best games I've played in a long time. I loved every moment of it and it perfectly captured its theme. It also had combat far superior to any other metroidvania I've played, even if it was at the expense of having a bit less exploration.

Other metroidvanias I've loved include Aquaria, Axiom Verge and Ori and the Blind Forest. All amazing games in their own right.

• Shadow Complex is a great game, that's what comes to mind other than the examples you posted. Cool powers, light puzzling, and decent combat. Story is just okay but not bad.

• Cave Story and Shantae due to personality that pull you into the adventure.

• Does Cave Story count? Because I absolutely adore that game. It was my "comfort food" game for like three years back in the day, I've played it so many times.

• Ori and the Blind Forest, no question about it. It was my third favorite game last year. Just behind massive behemoths that are Witcher and Metal Gear. It looks and sounds stunning, gameplay and controls are on point. Difficulty was really satisfying also.

• I have Axiom Verge but have truly dug into it yet. Just tried it for a bit but heard great things.

When I saw your thread I immediately thought of Guacamelee. That's my most recent memory and the level design and combat are great!

Arkham Asylum is the best in my recent memory. The level design is great and it really tied in each area wonderfully just like any Metroid game. Getting new gadgets felt like finding a chozo.

• Guacamelee is an amazing game. The combat is very fun and I love how the moves themselves are required in some of the platforming sections.

• Guacamelee is probably my favourite 'other' Metroidvania.
    Shantae & The Pirate's Curse comes a close second.
    Shadow Complex is also great of course.
    And I'm hopeful for Bloodstained.

Somehow I just couldn't get along with Ori & The Blond Forest. :-\

• Wonderboy 3. The Dragons Trap. A Excellent Sega Master System game that not many have played. Still holds up well today. Instead of getting weapon upgrades you turn into different creatures with unique abilities to progress to new areas. I believe Sega are making an updated version for the PS4 & PC.

• After playing Bloodstained E3 demo, I have high hopes for it. Yeah, it may not look as good as some promo images, or some other games, but it does look good enough for me at least, and it's just a demo, not hte full game, but the gameplay is what is Amazing, and that is what matters way more to me.

• Hear me out on this one, it's not defined as this genre but it borrows elements from "Metroidvanias" to which I mean Darksiders.

It's probably one of the most well designed action adventure games of that gen, borrows the puzzley elements from games like zelda so well, and yet has the stylized gameplay of DMC or GoW, the story could've been better but I loved War and the watcher, it was a sheer blast to play, and a very under-rated title.

• @ZyloWolfBane said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

Hear me out on this one, it's not defined as this genre but it borrows elements from "Metroidvanias" to which I mean Darksiders.

It's probably one of the most well designed action adventure games of that gen, borrows the puzzley elements from games like zelda so well, and yet has the stylized gameplay of DMC or GoW, the story could've been better but I loved War and the watcher, it was a sheer blast to play, and a very under-rated title.

Hell, I'd even classify Devil May Cry (especially DMC3) a MetroidVania title. Yeah, some stages or levels don't take place inside a mansion of sorts, but once you get into one, you feel like you're playing a MetroidVania game. Kill enemies, collect items, find items, unlock door with said item, find more item or be locked into a room of enemies, clear the room, make your way up, and beat the boss, etc.

• I've been playing Axiom Verge and I'm enjoying it so far. Quite a bit of Metroid and very little Castlevania, but I think it still counts.

• La-Mulana is a fantastic game. My only gripe is that it is probably a little too hard to figure out a lot of the puzzles without a guide(for me, at least). But so much fun, otherwise.

• I picked up Ghost 1.0 for a couple bucks on steam for the sale and I gotta say I'm having a good time. It's not the hardest game but it's a pretty fun and relaxed metroidvania.

Of course my favourite is Cave Story.

• @Budi I want to play Ori sO bad, but I don't have an X1 or PC. If there is any game in the Xbox library that I would like to come to the PS4, it's that one.

• @matteroffact I also had to wait to play it quite some time. It ran so bad on my old computer that it would have ruined the game trying to play it through. After Witcher 3 it was the second game I finished on my new PC though. =)

• Aquaria for how amazing it plays, it's length, and depth. It also looks and sounds absolutely beautiful.

Valdis Story: Abyssal City is also a good one. The combat and gameplay are super fun.

• Guacamelee is simply brilliant.

Also, not sure if it really counts, but Rogue Legacy is probably the one I've spent the most hours on lately. I swear I must have at least 40 hours trying to beat the advanced versions of the bosses. The blob was fairly easy, the eye took me around an hour, the fireball took me a whole evening, and I have yet to beat the goddamned flying skull.

• @Carlos said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

@ZyloWolfBane said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

Hear me out on this one, it's not defined as this genre but it borrows elements from "Metroidvanias" to which I mean Darksiders.

Hell, I'd even classify Devil May Cry (especially DMC3) a MetroidVania title. Yeah, some stages or levels don't take place inside a mansion of sorts, but once you get into one, you feel like you're playing a MetroidVania game. Kill enemies, collect items, find items, unlock door with said item, find more item or be locked into a room of enemies, clear the room, make your way up, and beat the boss, etc.

Don't Metroidvania games need to be 2D platformers? Otherwise you pretty much end up with the definition itself of a Zelda clone.