Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?

• Wonderboy 3. The Dragons Trap. A Excellent Sega Master System game that not many have played. Still holds up well today. Instead of getting weapon upgrades you turn into different creatures with unique abilities to progress to new areas. I believe Sega are making an updated version for the PS4 & PC.

• After playing Bloodstained E3 demo, I have high hopes for it. Yeah, it may not look as good as some promo images, or some other games, but it does look good enough for me at least, and it's just a demo, not hte full game, but the gameplay is what is Amazing, and that is what matters way more to me.

• Hear me out on this one, it's not defined as this genre but it borrows elements from "Metroidvanias" to which I mean Darksiders.

It's probably one of the most well designed action adventure games of that gen, borrows the puzzley elements from games like zelda so well, and yet has the stylized gameplay of DMC or GoW, the story could've been better but I loved War and the watcher, it was a sheer blast to play, and a very under-rated title.

• @ZyloWolfBane said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

Hear me out on this one, it's not defined as this genre but it borrows elements from "Metroidvanias" to which I mean Darksiders.

It's probably one of the most well designed action adventure games of that gen, borrows the puzzley elements from games like zelda so well, and yet has the stylized gameplay of DMC or GoW, the story could've been better but I loved War and the watcher, it was a sheer blast to play, and a very under-rated title.

Hell, I'd even classify Devil May Cry (especially DMC3) a MetroidVania title. Yeah, some stages or levels don't take place inside a mansion of sorts, but once you get into one, you feel like you're playing a MetroidVania game. Kill enemies, collect items, find items, unlock door with said item, find more item or be locked into a room of enemies, clear the room, make your way up, and beat the boss, etc.

• I've been playing Axiom Verge and I'm enjoying it so far. Quite a bit of Metroid and very little Castlevania, but I think it still counts.

• La-Mulana is a fantastic game. My only gripe is that it is probably a little too hard to figure out a lot of the puzzles without a guide(for me, at least). But so much fun, otherwise.

• I picked up Ghost 1.0 for a couple bucks on steam for the sale and I gotta say I'm having a good time. It's not the hardest game but it's a pretty fun and relaxed metroidvania.

Of course my favourite is Cave Story.

• @Budi I want to play Ori sO bad, but I don't have an X1 or PC. If there is any game in the Xbox library that I would like to come to the PS4, it's that one.

• @matteroffact I also had to wait to play it quite some time. It ran so bad on my old computer that it would have ruined the game trying to play it through. After Witcher 3 it was the second game I finished on my new PC though. =)

• Aquaria for how amazing it plays, it's length, and depth. It also looks and sounds absolutely beautiful.

Valdis Story: Abyssal City is also a good one. The combat and gameplay are super fun.

• Guacamelee is simply brilliant.

Also, not sure if it really counts, but Rogue Legacy is probably the one I've spent the most hours on lately. I swear I must have at least 40 hours trying to beat the advanced versions of the bosses. The blob was fairly easy, the eye took me around an hour, the fireball took me a whole evening, and I have yet to beat the goddamned flying skull.

• @Carlos said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

@ZyloWolfBane said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

Hear me out on this one, it's not defined as this genre but it borrows elements from "Metroidvanias" to which I mean Darksiders.

Hell, I'd even classify Devil May Cry (especially DMC3) a MetroidVania title. Yeah, some stages or levels don't take place inside a mansion of sorts, but once you get into one, you feel like you're playing a MetroidVania game. Kill enemies, collect items, find items, unlock door with said item, find more item or be locked into a room of enemies, clear the room, make your way up, and beat the boss, etc.

Don't Metroidvania games need to be 2D platformers? Otherwise you pretty much end up with the definition itself of a Zelda clone.

• Don't Metroidvania games need to be 2D platformers? Otherwise you pretty much end up with the definition itself of a Zelda clone.

Not necessarily. Where does Metroid Prime fit in then?

Personally though, I feel like Devil May Cry is too linear and combat focused(not in a bad way) to be classified as Metroidvania.

• Guacamelee was pretty good, especialyl with Bayonetta skin.
    I also like Rabi Ribi very much but it's also very difficult.
    Shantae and the Pirate's Curse was a lot of fun.
    Axiom Verge looks pretty cool but I've only seen a LP of it.
    Also I'm currently awaiting a Play Asia import of the US XB1 version of Ori, since for some bizarre reason we only got the PC retail release in europe, but not for XB1, hope it's good.

• @FutureCorpse said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

Wonderboy 3. The Dragons Trap. A Excellent Sega Master System game that not many have played. Still holds up well today. Instead of getting weapon upgrades you turn into different creatures with unique abilities to progress to new areas. I believe Sega are making an updated version for the PS4 & PC.

Oh shoot you're right. Dragon's Trap is totally a Metroidvania. That game was great! And yeah someone is remaking it! Lizardcube is the dev and DotEmu is publishing!
    Dragon's Trap Reveal Trailer (YouTube)

• @pphair said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

Don't Metroidvania games need to be 2D platformers? Otherwise you pretty much end up with the definition itself of a Zelda clone.

Not necessarily. Where does Metroid Prime fit in then?

Personally though, I feel like Devil May Cry is too linear and combat focused(not in a bad way) to be classified as Metroidvania.

It may seem that way, but if you pay attention to DMC3's design, you would know that teng ni gru is kind of like Symphony of the Night's castle. Except that, you're going through levels, however... you do backtrack in the game, to unlock rooms, and pick up new items along the way. That's why I call it "Metroidvania."

But yes, Metroid Prime series is pretty much "Metroidvania." 90% of it is...

@sonmi said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

@Carlos said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

@ZyloWolfBane said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

No. The whole point of "Metroidvania" is the design formula that made them a genre of it's own. Metroid required you to advance only through picking up a powerful weapon, and then unlocking areas with like-minded colors or powers that reflect that door. If it needs ice, then you find a ice weapon. But rather than it be stuck solely on one area, it's scattered all over the worldmap.

On the flipcoin, Castlevania's formula is a bit different. You'd be using magic or weapons to open doors, but most of the Castlevania games are locked inside a mansion of sorts, or a castle. Games developed after SOTN broke this code by having underground locations.

• Favourite is probably a bit strong but I enjoyed Xeodrifter for the 2 hours or so I played of it on Vita. We got it on PS+ one month.

Fun little metroidvania game.

• Not sure if it's a pure Metroidvania type game as it doesn't quite follow all the "rules" of what that is, but I played Rogue Legacy to death.

• Popful Mail
    that game is jolly af and super 90s anime

• @DeweyDTruman A second playthrough of Cave Story was the first game I jumped into after my big breakup a few years back. That game is fantastic.

I'm also a huge fan of Outland, which is a game I never really see anyone talk about :c