Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?

• @FutureCorpse said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

Wonderboy 3. The Dragons Trap. A Excellent Sega Master System game that not many have played. Still holds up well today. Instead of getting weapon upgrades you turn into different creatures with unique abilities to progress to new areas. I believe Sega are making an updated version for the PS4 & PC.

Oh shoot you're right. Dragon's Trap is totally a Metroidvania. That game was great! And yeah someone is remaking it! Lizardcube is the dev and DotEmu is publishing!
    Dragon's Trap Reveal Trailer (YouTube)

• @pphair said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

Don't Metroidvania games need to be 2D platformers? Otherwise you pretty much end up with the definition itself of a Zelda clone.

Not necessarily. Where does Metroid Prime fit in then?

Personally though, I feel like Devil May Cry is too linear and combat focused(not in a bad way) to be classified as Metroidvania.

It may seem that way, but if you pay attention to DMC3's design, you would know that teng ni gru is kind of like Symphony of the Night's castle. Except that, you're going through levels, however... you do backtrack in the game, to unlock rooms, and pick up new items along the way. That's why I call it "Metroidvania."

But yes, Metroid Prime series is pretty much "Metroidvania." 90% of it is...

@sonmi said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

@Carlos said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

@ZyloWolfBane said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

Hear me out on this one, it's not defined as this genre but it borrows elements from "Metroidvanias" to which I mean Darksiders.

It's probably one of the most well designed action adventure games of that gen, borrows the puzzley elements from games like zelda so well, and yet has the stylized gameplay of DMC or GoW, the story could've been better but I loved War and the watcher, it was a sheer blast to play, and a very under-rated title.

Hell, I'd even classify Devil May Cry (especially DMC3) a MetroidVania title. Yeah, some stages or levels don't take place inside a mansion of sorts, but once you get into one, you feel like you're playing a MetroidVania game. Kill enemies, collect items, find items, unlock door with said item, find more item or be locked into a room of enemies, clear the room, make your way up, and beat the boss, etc.

Don't Metroidvania games need to be 2D platformers? Otherwise you pretty much end up with the definition itself of a Zelda clone.

No. The whole point of "Metroidvania" is the design formula that made them a genre of it's own. Metroid required you to advance only through picking up a powerful weapon, and then unlocking areas with like-minded colors or powers that reflect that door. If it needs ice, then you find a ice weapon. But rather than it be stuck solely on one area, it's scattered all over the worldmap.

On the flipcoin, Castlevania's formula is a bit different. You'd be using magic or weapons to open doors, but most of the Castlevania games are locked inside a mansion of sorts, or a castle. Games developed after SOTN broke this code by having underground locations.

• Global Moderator

Favourite is probably a bit strong but I enjoyed Xeodrifter for the 2 hours or so I played of it on Vita. We got it on PS+ one month.

Fun little metroidvania game.

• Not sure if it's a pure Metroidvania type game as it doesn't quite follow all the "rules" of what that is, but I played Rogue Legacy to death.

• Popful Mail
    that game is jolly af and super 90s anime

• @DeweyDTruman A second playthrough of Cave Story was the first game I jumped into after my big breakup a few years back. That game is fantastic.

I'm also a huge fan of Outland, which is a game I never really see anyone talk about :c

• Shantae and the Pirate's Curse is amazing. I loved the pirate item mechanic so much. Can't wait for 1/2 Genie 1/2 Hero

• Axiom Verge was absolutely fantastic, played through it a few months ago. I'm thinking I might give a castlevania a go, which one would you guys recommend?

• I have played a bunch of the games listed already so found some other ones on my steam list:

UnEpic was fun, I'm about half way through but haven't finished it but I had to stop playing games for the most part recently.
    Not sure if it really fits but Toki Tori 2+ was great. I loved the way it taught you mechanics and the songs needed to progress and travel in the game because it is gated by knowledge of the game. You can do everything but warp right from the start of a playthrough.

I am looking forward to Ghost Song, it looks amazing, and I hope Chasm turns out well as it has been around for a while but not released.

• @Spidarro said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

Axiom Verge was absolutely fantastic, played through it a few months ago. I'm thinking I might give a castlevania a go, which one would you guys recommend?

If you have NES, and you could hunt down the original Castlevania games: Castlevania, Castlevania 3. #2 was a departure from the formula of the original.

If you have SNES: Castlevania 4. Stop.

But if you don't, go straight to PSX: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. Stop.

If you have GBA: Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, Harmony of Dissonance. Stop.

[Side Note: The original Castlevania is available on GBA, pick that up if you don't have NES.]

Circle of the Moon uses the Symphony of the Night formula, yes... but the game is RIDICULOUSLY hard. This is coming from a guy who's been playing since Castlevania 1.

Ignore most of the Castlevania games out there. Most of them do not have the quality of games that I've already listed.

Bloodlines for Genesis was okay, but it doesn't live up to the Castlevania legacy. Rhondo of Blood is revered among Castlevania owners, but it's hard to find, and likewise very expensive if you do manage to find a copy.

If you have PS2, I recommend Castlevania: Lament of Innocence. It's a good game, despite the negativity surrounding it. The game is in 3D, but surprisingly uses the actual Castlevania formula of SOTN. If you're a fan of SOTN, you'll feel right at home with Lament of Innocence.

• @Carlos

Woah thanks so much for the comprehensive answer!! Rather than tracking down carts ect i think im just gonna go to the e-shop for convenience and will prob go with Castlevania 4 cos i have the most nostalgia for 16 bit stuff, will report back with my findings and thanks again!

• @FacelessGuy I've kind of just decided Chasm is never going to come out. I'll be happy if it does though.

• @Spidarro You welcome! :)

• @Carlos Started Super last night and its really fun. got as far as the caves with the medusa before i had to hit the hay. thanks again for the rundown.

• Tomba! is certainly my favorite in this category. So much fun and full of personality!

• Guacamelee, Shadow complex and Axiom verge, no doubt about it.
    Bloodstained is definitely one of my most anticipated games

• You guys have mentioned most of the ones I like, but insanely twisted shadow planet and dust were pretty good and steamworld dig is really underrated.

Outland, salt and sanctuary (not sure if this counts), and song of the deep are on my radar. Interesting to see all the love for cave story....I may need to put that on there too

• Love Ori and Guacamelee. Never really enjoyed an actual Metroid game though...

• If the original Devil May Cry counts, that might be it.

• @sam776 said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

If the original Devil May Cry counts, that might be it.

I love the original DMC, but DMC3/SE easily overshadows it. Honestly. If you can, get the new HD collection to see what I mean.

I challenge you to finish it from the beginning to end. DMC3 is the pinnacle of the series. Sorry DMC4, or Ninja Theory's DMC, move over.