Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?

• @Carlos Started Super last night and its really fun. got as far as the caves with the medusa before i had to hit the hay. thanks again for the rundown.

• Tomba! is certainly my favorite in this category. So much fun and full of personality!

• Guacamelee, Shadow complex and Axiom verge, no doubt about it.
    Bloodstained is definitely one of my most anticipated games

• You guys have mentioned most of the ones I like, but insanely twisted shadow planet and dust were pretty good and steamworld dig is really underrated.

Outland, salt and sanctuary (not sure if this counts), and song of the deep are on my radar. Interesting to see all the love for cave story....I may need to put that on there too

• Love Ori and Guacamelee. Never really enjoyed an actual Metroid game though...

• If the original Devil May Cry counts, that might be it.

• @sam776 said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

If the original Devil May Cry counts, that might be it.

I love the original DMC, but DMC3/SE easily overshadows it. Honestly. If you can, get the new HD collection to see what I mean.

I challenge you to finish it from the beginning to end. DMC3 is the pinnacle of the series. Sorry DMC4, or Ninja Theory's DMC, move over.

• @Carlos I did play 3. All the way up to the final area where you fight all the bosses again. I just didn't feel like grinding those out at the time. I have played 1 twice, though, really enjoy it still. There's something about it's simplicity I love.

• If you don't count the 3D Zeldas, then I guess Tomb Raider. I like the structure fine, I just don't want to play a lot of 2D indies to experience it.

Castlevania, though, I should get around to playing. It's just that there are just 3 dozen of them, so it's more daunting than even Metal Gear.

• @sam776 said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

@Carlos I did play 3. All the way up to the final area where you fight all the bosses again. I just didn't feel like grinding those out at the time. I have played 1 twice, though, really enjoy it still. There's something about it's simplicity I love.

Wow. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. :(

I liked the freedom that DMC3 afforded me. Once again, I love DMC, but the controls felt "hard" to go back to after DMC3. I love the graphics, style, and direction the first DMC title had, but the controls felt weird going back there after the controls in DMC3 afforded players a massive amount of freedom. You could jump, you could dash, you could double jump, I mean, it was just a fucking awesome game. If you don't believe me, here's a player who used DMC3's controls the fullest extent of his reflexes...

Youtube Video

Protip: CRANK the volume. I'm serious, do it.

• @Carlos Oh, I'm not saying 3 is bad by any means. Quite the contrary; it is a hilarious thrill ride. I'm just saying I didn't spend enough time in it to get that good at it. The original game didn't require as much finesse, and had an art-style I liked more, but 3 is definitely better.

I just don't like it AS much as some people. ;)

• La-Mulana was pretty good.

Also, does Batman Arkham Asylum count? (not the sequels and prequel, JUST AA) If so, that by far. If not, well it counts now. Got a problem with that? looks at banhammer ;3

Note: If I have a ;) or ;3 near a ban threat, it means I'm kidding. (for those of you who aren't fellow GT migrants and thus did not know I tend to be a wiseass when I can afford to be one)

• @ChaosBahamut said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

La-Mulana was pretty good.

Also, does Batman Arkham Asylum count? (not the sequels and prequel, JUST AA) If so, that by far. If not, well it counts now. Got a problem with that? looks at banhammer ;3

Note: If I have a ;) or ;3 near a ban threat, it means I'm kidding. (for those of you who aren't fellow GT migrants and thus did not know I tend to be a wiseass when I can afford to be one)

Hell yeah it counts

@Carlos Oh, I'm not saying 3 is bad by any means. Quite the contrary; it is a hilarious thrill ride. I'm just saying I didn't spend enough time in it to get that good at it. The original game didn't require as much finesse, and had an art-style I liked more, but 3 is definitely better.

I just don't like it AS much as some people. ;)

Okay, understood! :)

+offers hand for handshake+ Pleased to make your acquaintance. It's good to meet other DMC fans! :D

@ChaosBahamut said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

La-Mulana was pretty good.

Well, don't be a wiseass. ;) Wiseass. :P

In any case, yeah, the Arkham Asylum/City games are a bit of a Metroidvania. Some places require you to find a weapon just to unlock it. That's one part of the series that I loved about it. You were playing Batman in an Open World sandbox with Metroidvania core gameplay.

• Ori and the Blind Forest, no question. In a year with some serious juggernauts, the fact that Ori is still something I consider one of the greats of 2015 is a testament to its quality. I love how it separates itself from other Metroidvanias by being just a platformer - sure there is combat, but the combat itself is a test of platforming skills (its not about shooting, but rather dodging attacks like a shmup). Plus the art style and music, oh man. If you have a PC or Xbone and haven't given this guy a shot, you gotta pick up the Definitive Edition.

As for other games, I really enjoyed Shantae & The Pirate's Curse. Fun style, fun writing, solid platforming. Axiom Verge was brought up here a lot but personally I couldn't get into it.

• @ZombieProof I second Valdis Story. Really fun game. Looks great plays great.

• I haven't played many of them, but Cave Story was FANTASTIC.

I also seem to have a very unpopular opinion when it comes to Shadow Complex. I found that the game was worked well and had some cool ideas, but I found it to be utterly and completely boring, starting with the fact that I couldn't remember anything about the story a day after I had played the game, and aside from that I just found to be very bland and boring. Maybe going over the game again might change my opinion, but I just remember it wasn't my cup of tea at all when I first played it.

• While I probably wouldn't call it my favorite I'm really enjoying the new game Headlander. A well put together and different kind of metroidvania from the norm.
    Outland is also a game I feel is often forgotten about, which is a shame.