Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?

• Love Ori and Guacamelee. Never really enjoyed an actual Metroid game though...

• If the original Devil May Cry counts, that might be it.

• @sam776 said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

If the original Devil May Cry counts, that might be it.

I love the original DMC, but DMC3/SE easily overshadows it. Honestly. If you can, get the new HD collection to see what I mean.

I challenge you to finish it from the beginning to end. DMC3 is the pinnacle of the series. Sorry DMC4, or Ninja Theory's DMC, move over.

• @Carlos I did play 3. All the way up to the final area where you fight all the bosses again. I just didn't feel like grinding those out at the time. I have played 1 twice, though, really enjoy it still. There's something about it's simplicity I love.

• If you don't count the 3D Zeldas, then I guess Tomb Raider. I like the structure fine, I just don't want to play a lot of 2D indies to experience it.

Castlevania, though, I should get around to playing. It's just that there are just 3 dozen of them, so it's more daunting than even Metal Gear.

• @sam776 said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

@Carlos I did play 3. All the way up to the final area where you fight all the bosses again. I just didn't feel like grinding those out at the time. I have played 1 twice, though, really enjoy it still. There's something about it's simplicity I love.

Wow. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. :(

I liked the freedom that DMC3 afforded me. Once again, I love DMC, but the controls felt "hard" to go back to after DMC3. I love the graphics, style, and direction the first DMC title had, but the controls felt weird going back there after the controls in DMC3 afforded players a massive amount of freedom. You could jump, you could dash, you could double jump, I mean, it was just a fucking awesome game. If you don't believe me, here's a player who used DMC3's controls the fullest extent of his reflexes...

Youtube Video

Protip: CRANK the volume. I'm serious, do it.

• @Carlos Oh, I'm not saying 3 is bad by any means. Quite the contrary; it is a hilarious thrill ride. I'm just saying I didn't spend enough time in it to get that good at it. The original game didn't require as much finesse, and had an art-style I liked more, but 3 is definitely better.

I just don't like it AS much as some people. ;)

• La-Mulana was pretty good.

Also, does Batman Arkham Asylum count? (not the sequels and prequel, JUST AA) If so, that by far. If not, well it counts now. Got a problem with that? looks at banhammer ;3

Note: If I have a ;) or ;3 near a ban threat, it means I'm kidding. (for those of you who aren't fellow GT migrants and thus did not know I tend to be a wiseass when I can afford to be one)

• @ChaosBahamut said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

La-Mulana was pretty good.

Also, does Batman Arkham Asylum count? (not the sequels and prequel, JUST AA) If so, that by far. If not, well it counts now. Got a problem with that? looks at banhammer ;3

Note: If I have a ;) or ;3 near a ban threat, it means I'm kidding. (for those of you who aren't fellow GT migrants and thus did not know I tend to be a wiseass when I can afford to be one)

Hell yeah it counts

@Carlos Oh, I'm not saying 3 is bad by any means. Quite the contrary; it is a hilarious thrill ride. I'm just saying I didn't spend enough time in it to get that good at it. The original game didn't require as much finesse, and had an art-style I liked more, but 3 is definitely better.

I just don't like it AS much as some people. ;)

Okay, understood! :)

+offers hand for handshake+ Pleased to make your acquaintance. It's good to meet other DMC fans! :D

@ChaosBahamut said in Metroidvanias that aren't Metroid or Castlevania, which are your favourites?:

La-Mulana was pretty good.

Well, don't be a wiseass. ;) Wiseass. :P

In any case, yeah, the Arkham Asylum/City games are a bit of a Metroidvania. Some places require you to find a weapon just to unlock it. That's one part of the series that I loved about it. You were playing Batman in an Open World sandbox with Metroidvania core gameplay.

• Ori and the Blind Forest, no question. In a year with some serious juggernauts, the fact that Ori is still something I consider one of the greats of 2015 is a testament to its quality. I love how it separates itself from other Metroidvanias by being just a platformer - sure there is combat, but the combat itself is a test of platforming skills (its not about shooting, but rather dodging attacks like a shmup). Plus the art style and music, oh man. If you have a PC or Xbone and haven't given this guy a shot, you gotta pick up the Definitive Edition.

As for other games, I really enjoyed Shantae & The Pirate's Curse. Fun style, fun writing, solid platforming. Axiom Verge was brought up here a lot but personally I couldn't get into it.

• @ZombieProof I second Valdis Story. Really fun game. Looks great plays great.

• I haven't played many of them, but Cave Story was FANTASTIC.

I also seem to have a very unpopular opinion when it comes to Shadow Complex. I found that the game was worked well and had some cool ideas, but I found it to be utterly and completely boring, starting with the fact that I couldn't remember anything about the story a day after I had played the game, and aside from that I just found to be very bland and boring. Maybe going over the game again might change my opinion, but I just remember it wasn't my cup of tea at all when I first played it.

• While I probably wouldn't call it my favorite I'm really enjoying the new game Headlander. A well put together and different kind of metroidvania from the norm.
    Outland is also a game I feel is often forgotten about, which is a shame.