So, apparently there *is* a way to change your PSN ID...

• https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/4pz3vx/so_sony_permanently_banned_my_oldhighlyinvestedin/

Just pick a name that...

A. Sony finds offensive enough to ban
    B. Prove to them that it's your real name
    C. Argue with them for days
    D. Make them look bad in the press
    E. Get your ID change!

What could be simpler?

Oh, one caveat: you may still lose your trophies.

• "My Trophies will have Syncing problems and could disappear, Friends are gone and social communication is deleted! There's no other way to it. The other interesting thing, he made the change from iJihad to Jiii--- in just 2 seconds over the phone call! It's not rocket science but it needs much technical improvements. (Noting my trophies are ZERO now after syncing)"

This is interesting to me because for the longest time I thought Sony just didn't care, but apparently it's because they don't have a system that is capable of handling name changes.

• Lmao my friend made his PSN turbanhead911 with full intent on being offensive and he's never been banned by Sony. Extra funny cause he was 12 when he made that name. Prob had a few awkward Rock Band encounters with older relatives lol

• @MarceloLaborda said in So, apparently there *is* a way to change your PSN ID...:

This is interesting to me because for the longest time I thought Sony just didn't care, but apparently it's because they don't have a system that is capable of handling name changes.

They basically made one of the most amateur programming mistakes possible when they built PSN.

• @Mortambulist said in So, apparently there *is* a way to change your PSN ID...:

@MarceloLaborda said in So, apparently there *is* a way to change your PSN ID...:

They basically made one of the most amateur programming mistakes possible when they built PSN.

I remember listening to the old IGN podcast with Greg Miller and Colin (I know... I know... idk why I ever did either) and I swear I remember them claiming that a Sony rep told them they have the tech set up and they acknowledge that name changes is the biggest PSN request but they still are undecided if they want to ever create that feature and he allegedly implied that it has something to do with Sony wanting users to have accountability over their choices and actions or something like that.

To be fair, those guys really rambled a lot.

• I'm over this whole thing. I don't want it.

I don't need it, and I don't want the feature.

• @GoTaco it could be, but we also have to consider the fact that a business would never admit that their product has a weakness.

I did a bit of research on the subject just out of curiosity and found this article. It says:

"We are aware that lots of people are asking for the feature," Yoshida added. "Our engineers have been looking into what they can do. As soon as we know, we'll let you know. But as of today, we don't even know if we can ever do it. Hopefully we will be able to provide that feature in the future."

Last year, another PlayStation executive, Shawn Layden, explained that it wasn't a technical issue keeping the feature from being implemented. Instead, he said it came down to trolling prevention.

Sounds reasonable. However, if it's not a technical issue, why did the guy from Reditt have so many problems when Sony changed his username?

@Carlos hehe, fair enough. I'd love to see the feature implemented, but I have to admit it's not that big a deal. I'm here simply to spark conversation. #firstworldproblems

• My PSN account got hacked into this week and over £100 was spent on FIFA coins. They told if I didn't have all the relevant info, I would have to make a new account and they would transfer my purchases.

Luckily though, I'm just being refunded the amount, so I get to keep my trophies, frineds, etc.

Interesting that purchases are not permanently tied to an account name, but trophies and other things are.

• Generally if the system wasn't set up for a name change allowing users to change their usernames can be a pain and can result on some issues. In general changing your username anywhere is typically something the IT people don't want to do.

• @suplextrain It's actually pretty simple. Just don't make the name the primary key (the value by which everything is linked and indexed). Put a unique constraint on the name so no two people can have the same name, but make the actual primary key some randomly generated unique ID (GUID's are great for this) that is never displayed, never changes, and serves to keep everything linked. Then the user name/ID is just another piece of data that can be changed at will. Whoever designed PSN's data structure should be taken out and shot for using the username as the primary key. It's a seriously amateur mistake.

• @Mortambulist Believe it or not, most people are not good at their jobs. Especially in programming/development. Back when I worked in IT I saw this all the time, how in for example web development each team was generally carried by 1-2 talented people while the rest were mediocre. In IT support most people didn't care very much about making improvements to the system beyond small incremental ones. As a sys admin/architect you noticed tons of less than optimal solutions already in place and being implemented.

I can't imagine it being all that different at Sony or any other big company. From what I've seen only stuff like banks have been on point.
    In any case I don't think we'll be able to change PSN names anytime soon.

• @suplextrain said in So, apparently there *is* a way to change your PSN ID...:

@Mortambulist Believe it or not, most people are not good at their jobs. Especially in programming/development.

Oh, I believe it. I live it every day. I mean, not that I'm that great, I'm lazy as fuck, but when I do do my I job, I take some pride in it. ;-)

• @Alex840 Yeah, that is weird. I guess I can always create a new account and ask them to transfer my purchases, which is the only thing I really care about. Glad to hear you got your money back.

@Mortambulist @suplextrain They hired Jar Jar Binks to design their database, confirmed!

• A friend of mines got banned years ago for having Fuk da police. And had to make a new account.

• Not being able to change your PSN name, and not being able to change your ingame name when playing online is the dumbest thing about console gaming.

It quite literally guarantees that you will always get a bunch of stupid "l33Tk1ll3r420gh0s7b0i" names or "Steve000282820203737292" in every game. It has almost effectively murdered the awesome aspect of gamer culture that is your online nickname, because inevitably someone else stole what you actually wanted, or you're stuck with an embarassing one you picked when you were 10 or something.

Man, do I ever wish consoles could be more like PC in this case. At least the FromSoft guys figured out not letting you name your character whatever you want and have that as the name other people see is dumb, and added support for it in BB and DkS3.

• I really would love to change my PSN ID. My ID isn't bad by any means. But I have since preferred to be called another name online, that being Jak.

My current ID, was largely made because I couldn't think of something better when I was 16 years old.

• My PSN name is FatDave2112. At the time, I largely went by Fat Dave online, but then I lost over 100 pounds. Fortunately I'm steadily gaining it back, so it works for me again. And I never stopped liking Rush.:-)

• This is going probably happen in this year or maybe when the ps5 comes out I wish this featured happen but In a way that transparent

• @Paper-Lion I know this is incredibly old but by the off chance you still use this sight I wanted to let you know; you keep referring to “consoles” as a whole. However, Xbox has LONG since had the ability to change your gamertag. It isn’t free but it’s very cheap. And you can do it as many times as you wish. 👍🏽

• @mortambulist Sorry I'm late to the party. So -- in theory -- couldn't Sony just duplicate all current PSN usernames into a new non-primary value, make the non-primary displayed value wherever one might see a username, and from here forward create automated GUIDs that run alongside the grandfathered old usernames?

Before:
    Username || Primary || Visible : HaXxOrL33t

After:
    Primary || Invisible : HaXxOrL33t
    Username || Non-Primary || Visible : ProfessionalMan

In effect, the permanent usernames would still exist, but the visible username would be entirely malleable. My programming experience is zilch though, soooooo maybe I'm just wrong.