Game of Thrones Discussion [Spoilers]

• CONTAINS SPOILER! DO NOT CONTINUE IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED SEASON 6 FINALE!

alt text

Westeros, home of the Seven Kingdoms, land of the Andals, the Rhonyar, and the First Men. The power struggles within the Seven Noble Families start the story as Robert Baratheon's Rebellion, with the help of Ned Stark, storm King's Landing to depose the Mad King Aerys II Targaryen in revenge for killing the head of the Stark family and the abduction of Lyanna stark, Robert's fiance. The rebellion was successful with the help of the Lannisters, and the Mad King was killed by Jaime Lannister. With the Targaryen gone from Westeros, the power shifts across the land, and the Game of Thrones begin.

Throughout the six seasons, three prominent Houses are fighting for the Iron Throne.

SECOND WARNING! CONTAINS SEASON 6 SPOILERS

House Lannister
    alt text
    alt text

After a struggle with the fanatic Sept, Cersei uses firewater to destroy the Great Sept, and with it, the High Septon, three of the Tyrell family, and all of the Faith Militants. King Tommen Lannister commits suicide, thus giving the rule of the Iron Throne to the mother of the King, Queen Cersei.

House Stark
    alt text
    alt text

Jon Snow defeated Ramsay Bolton in the Battle of the Bastards. As the Bolton was the only opposition to Jon's mission to unite the lands against the common enemy, the White Walkers, various Houses declare him King of the North regardless if he is a bastard. Bran Stark, with his power of the Three-Eyed Raven, continues a vision where he discovers a life-long secret. Not only is Jon Snow a proper family member of House Stark, Jon has the blood of the Targaryen and the true heir and successor to the Iron Throne.

House Targaryen
    alt text
    alt text

Daenerys Targaryen had finally defeated the slave masters with her army of Dothraki and three dragons. Her fleet is completed with a sudden swearing of allegiance by Asha and Theon Greyjoy with the fleet of the Pyke and the capture of the Slave Masters fleet. Varys sought additional Westeros allies by bringing in the House Martell and House Tyrell, both seeking revenge against the Lannisters for killing their kin. Daenerys crosses the sea with her fleet to take the Iron Throne.

With this insane cliffhanger, let us discuss all that has come to past and all that will come.

• Banned

I wonder which brother will kill Cersei. My money is on Jamie.

• @Art said in Game of Thrones Discussion Thread (Contains Season 6 Spoilers):

I wonder which brother will kill Cersei. My money is on Jamie.

So do I. Cersei becomes The Mad Queen and Jaime will have to put her down, just like Aerys. Hence he becomes Kingslayer 2.0.

• @Art I'm pretty sure it's going to be Jamie as well...I'm also somehow totally sure that he will say something along the lines of "The things i do for love..." (don't know why though....) :)

what really bugs me though is R+L=J

the show seems to confirm this, but then again only through a cut to Jon. Why can't we just hear what Liana Stark is saying? Seems like misdirection, but she definitely says "HIM", so the baby is a boy. So it's not Daenerys, but the show hasn't given us Young Griff, so who else could it be if not Jon?

Also the show hasn't shown us the horn of winter (there was at least some talk about it though), and another horn that should be in Euron's possession...as the books are called "a SONG of Ice and Fire" I would assume that such instruments will play an important role in the story (I am aware that "song" means "poetical composition/poetry" especially in the context of epic literature, but the appearance of two opposed magical instruments within the story also speaks to the title's intertextual meaning...).

Also: will we ever see Asshai? It seems like such an interesting place, but with Daenerys well on her way to Westeros the chances seem slim (maybe Euron will go there for his horn? pretty please?).

• Lyanna Mormont, love this little girl.

• Banned

@Tankard said in Game of Thrones Discussion Thread (Contains Season 6 Spoilers):

Lyanna Mormont, love this little girl.

Appealing to people that love loli, brilliant!

• @Luepp25 I don't trust that it is Jon or that Raegar is the father. If there is something we know about this series it's that unless something has been spoken/shown it might not be true (like how we didn't see the Hound die, but we presumed he died, and then he came back). But most likely it's R + L = J

And thank the seven for the death of that cult, and that the old maester got shish kebabed.

Can we talk about Arya? Feels like we missed something (or at least I did). Last time we saw her she shanked the faceless girl and then Jaqen said "You're ready to be faceless blablabla" but she just walked out the room and rejected it. Wearing a face whilst not faceless ends up damaging the user as we've seen before. Then she shows up the finale and offs Walder Frey (thank God for this too) while wearing another face!
    Did I just miss something? Is it something explained better in the books? Or is it something unexplained/waiting for explanation?

• Personally I was a little worried with HBO kinda calling the shots now that the shows has pasted up the books. The first couple episodes weren't super strong to me (besides Hodor, that was awesome) but the later half of the season really picked up.

What I like is that HBO is kinda just giving the fans what they want. We want to Starks back together, we want Arya running around doing her thing, not stuck in this assassins guild thing (tho it was kinda interesting) we want dragons and the big wars they have been hinting at since the show/books started.

Seems like there might only be a couple more seasons left so why not start speeding things up and get to the good stuff.

• @Fridge-man Well the show is beyond the books since George R.R. Martin can't write things in time for the life of him. The Arya stuff this season was pretty weak tbh. Feels like it was stretched out with too many pointless scenes when the conclusion was that she was going to leave anyway.

I do think Raegar is the father. It only makes sense in the context of Robert's Rebellion. I doubt some random soldier knocked her up. I hope there's going to be a seen where Jon and Dany meet, and Dany's does your naked fire trick while saying "waddup bitch! I am your God now." Then Jon steps into the fire too, unharmed.

Then all becomes legit shook.

@Krauser You mean... Queen Slayer? 8D

• Banned

@TheMarcV If the series of books was actually finished I imagine the show's season's would've run into the double digits. Not that I would've cared. The more the better.

• @Fridge-man Agree with your assessment on R+L=J.

I think the implication with Arya was that her training was now done (she didn't walk away, she just stared at him holding up needle, saying "I'm not no one, I'm Arya of house Stark!" and then he smiled or something)....the books aren't that far along, but I don't know, all of this is weird and doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's just lazy writing. In general the last two seasons were a bit disappointing when it comes to the logic of the characters and their actions, but S06E09 and 10 were pretty amazing so i have not too many qualms with it.

Still, I can not wait for G.R.R.M. to finally deliver on Winds of Winter.

• @Whoaness GRRM said that not all Targaryens are immune to fire, also Jon is definitely not immune to fire since he burned his hand when throwing that lamp at the wight back in season 1.

• The first fifteen minutes of that finale are some of the best I've ever seen in a television show. The music alone was incredible.

Also, I don't really understand the complaints about characters "teleporting". The events within each episode do not unfold in real time. They don't even necessarily have to happen in chronological order. They can't show every single event and follow the lives of every single character on a daily basis. I guess you can either accept that or let it take you out of the show. I definitely agree that it can appear pretty sloppy sometimes though. Varys moving vast distances in a single episode could have been handled better but they wanted to end with Dany on her way to Westeros. They could have shown Varys travel back to her and then they all get on the ships but they only have so much time within each episode and it wouldn't have added much to the story. The time between the scene in Dorne and that final scene could have been weeks or even months in the actual world of the show (which would also explain how they painted all those sails).

In regards to Arya "teleporting", it had been two episodes since we saw her. All the events in Bravos could have transpired over the course of a few weeks (well before the other events that happened in the first few episodes) and she had actually been sailing for quite some time. If all the Arya scenes did take place before the other arcs in the earlier episodes should they have only shown her during the first episode? No, because that wouldn't be nearly as compelling to watch.

• @Art mine too

• @Luepp25 Maybe his blood hasn't activated, like super saiyans!

• @Whoaness XD well now that he's been resurrected by R´hllor he might be invincible to fire...and death. time to pick up Dany and Tyrion and go full Voltron. :)

• Jon may be son of Rhaegar, but if he didn't marry Lyanna, that would still make him a bastard. Whatever is the case, can't wait for season 7... Shit will go down. Also, I'm somewhat disappointed that Lady Stoneheart didn't appear at all in the TV series..

• @Light It doesn't all take place at the same time, no, but some things like Varys being able to go from Meereen to Sunspear to Meereen again in the space of a two episodes while Sam takes a whole season to get to Oldtown is absolutely ridiculous.

Chronologically speaking, it would mean that Sam hardly made it past episode 2 of the season, and that next season will either spend a lot of time with him, or go a bit overboard with the time skips if they want his storyline to catch up.

• @sonmi Sam didn't have much to do this season. They spaced out his content because if they did let it play out chronologically he may have only been in one episode. As for Varys, it was definitely visually jarring but there's not much the writers could do. If they had shown him earlier it might have spoiled what happens in King's Landing. But they still wanted to end with him, Dany, and everyone else setting sail for Westeros. It's safe to assume that the final scene takes place at least a week or more after the scene in Dorne. You can let the way it was presented annoy you or you can just accept the realities of a television show. If they had shown Varys traveling back to Dany people would have complained that the scene was boring or a waste of time. He obviously wouldn't have much to do during those scenes or they would have included them. They can't win either way.