Game of Thrones Discussion [Spoilers]

• @iboshow I don't even think it's comparable. The Red Wedding was a bunch of Tully Bannermen, Lady Stark, Robb and Talisa. That's it. And they let you feel that for almost half a season.

The next 4 episodes probably gonna make the red wedding seem quaint in terms of body count. Even if only 75% of the main characters left on the show die, we're looking at an average of 5 main characters killed off a week for the next 4 weeks.

• @tokyoslim Robb Stark, unborn child, 2 lady starks, Greywind and his bannermen. This happened when Arya was so close to her family.

• @iboshow The point is that that's not that bad. There are like 31 major characters left on the show and 4 episodes until most of them are probably going to be dead.

• We know that white walkers can essentially be skeletons. Like the ones that killed Jojen at the Three Eyed Raven tree. So... Aren't there a bunch of skeletons down in the crypt at Winterfell? Aren't there skeleton dragons underneath Kings Landing?

• @tokyoslim Yes, but there's something magical in the crypts.

• Global Moderator

Man.. that episode was everything I feared from Game of Thrones. I've probably said in this topic how I feel like the show has gone downhill since season 4.

I thought that episode was a mess really. Between being pretty much unwatchable for the first 40 minutes and having these weird logistic moments and stealth moments. The episode just had this constant inevitability about it with all the times everyone just kept on surviving and the only question really was who was going to finish off the job.

Ugghh... it's late I guess. I'll see if I've more to say tomorrow but ya, I didn't enjoy that episode at all.

• spoooooiiuiilllleerrrrsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss get off main page nowwwwwwww

Well, we got to see Stark zombies after all. And seven fairly major characters died. Eight if you count Viserion again. So we are slightly ahead of schedule.

• I think the episode was rather good. Things felt more dire than I had expected. The outcome of everything still surprised me the most, I mean... people won? The dead are gone? This changes the whole "endgame" from the one I had imagined. But for better, luckily, as now it'll be actual persons going against each other in King's Landing etc.

Ser Jorah was a true knight til the end, a sad end for him. "I'm hurt." Melisandre's death didn't feel... so necessary? In any case, it was nice to see her arrive right at the start as it was pretty much given that she'd be there this episode. Bran's actions led to nothing, which was a bit underwhelming. I mean, sure, an "eagles are coming" sort of moment could've felt cheap, but now there was nothing.

I liked the long piano melody at the end as the camera was showing us pretty much everyone in their desperate situations. I'm usually an easy target for these.

Top 3 most beautiful moments of the episode:

1. Dragons over the clouds with the moon behind them
    2. Sansa and Tyrion behind the grave, with the music and the looks on their faces
    3. Melisandre trying to light up that trench, with the camera getting closer and closer to her face, lips and eyes

• @tokeeffe9 Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels that way.

This episode was extremely disappointing to me.

Ok I've skipped enough lines for my spoilers to not appear in the sidebar, so I'll get to it now.

The pacing and indeed logistics made no sense at all, so many shots showed a character being swarmed by a dozen white walkers, only to cut to someone else, then come back to this character having cleared house somehow. Brienne and Jamie were pinned against that wall for the better part of an hour, they must have killed 200 zombies each at that rate. The last half-hour was literally ONLY the named characters still standing against hundreds and somehow making it. The plot armor has reached ridiculous levels. This is not Game of Thrones anymore, it's Lord of the Rings.

There must have been at least 4 or 5 "This is the last stand" montages, with cheesy slow-mo and overdramatic music, only to go back to a little more action and then another montage with the same characters in the same desperate situations they were in 15 minutes ago, with nothing of significance happening in between.

What was that stealth section with Arya? How did she somehow escape the battlefield, find herself deep inside the castle, only to be cornered by the only few zombies who were not running around trying to kill everyone in sight but instead peacefully, aimlessly strolling around the room?

Nothing made sense, everything was put together just to create "moments", with no logical connection between them at all. And despite taking their sweet time to hammer home certain parts, the action was still confusing, I had no idea what was going on when the dragons were fighting each other for example. When Jon was surrounded at the end, why did Dany take so long to start burning shit around him? And then what was he trying to accomplish running inside the courtyard and... running back and forth between cover spots like a bad Division 2 player? Only to seemingly give up at the end, looking at the dragon like "Screw it, kill me now" and obviously, conveniently being saved at the last second. Soooooo cheesy.

The whole Bran thing was also absurd, he didn't do anything. What was the plan, what was the idea? Or did he simply see the future and knew Arya would somehow catch the Night King unaware at the very last second? Again it feels like they set up this scene so there would be a pretty background, not for actual story reasons (if I'm missing something please correct me, I'd love to be wrong).

Compared to Avengers Endgame which was in my opinion a masterclass in plot and action sequences, this episode felt amateurish.

Hopefully they'll find their groove back now that they can focus on humans vs humans again.

• Main page buffer.
    buffer.
    buffer.
    This whole thing is buffer and the text showing in the side bar even if you wrap your text in a spoiler is really dumbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.

The whole Bran thing was also absurd, he didn't do anything.

Statements like this are the only issue I take with opinions that are down with the episode. You don't know he didn't do anything, not yet. If we got explicit exposition with every episode, we would't have some of the best moments in the series, like Sam and Gilly teasing Jon's parentage last season, and that eventual reveal. Or who killed Joffrey being kept secret for as long as it was. Being able to theorise about these things is in part what makes Thrones such a good show. I don't want all the answers straight away. All will likely be revealed as the season concludes, as is the norm with Thrones. Don't walk out of the movie theatre 30 minutes before the end and then complain about not understanding the story.

Anywayyyyyy:

First I've commented on here about this. I didn't have the same issues that a lot of people seem to have in terms of the lighting, I never had issue understanding what was going on in terms of action. I could see everything that I was supposed to see.

The battle tactics were kinda stupid. Running your cavalry, your most valuable regiment, straight at an unseen enemy. Is just so so dumb.

There were way too many "I'm getting overwhelmed but in the next shot I'm absolutely fine" moments. Why the fuck is Sam just lying on the floor stabbing Wights? It felt like they had a logical path for how they wanted the battle to go, but not for some of the individual characters in the skirmish. So they sort of wing it and it resulted in a bit of a mess.

But I loved Arya getting the kill, because everything falls into place, and I honestly think it's genius because it explains and correlates so much that it really does feel like a plausible explanation.

I can honestly say, based on what we've seen of her so far, I can believe that Arya was capable of sneaking into the Godswood and going for the kill. Going to paste in what I wrote on the reddit:

Arya getting the kill was orchestrated, not prophecised. Jon is brought back by Melisandre and the Lord of Light to bring Arya to Winterfell. Beric Dondarion was brought back by the Lord of Light all those times so that he could save Arya from the Wights in the Keep. Melisandre even says something to that effect when they get safe: "His purpose has been fulfilled". The Hound was also brought back by the Lord of Light to save Arya in the Keep. Without him neither Beric nor Arya would have survived.

This is less solid, but you can also argue that Melisandre and the Brotherhood betray Gendry back in Season 3 to isolate Arya and drive towards Jaqen H'ghar and the Faceless Men so that she can receive her training.

If you knew something significant about the future, would you act differently? If you knew you were going to pick the winning lottery numbers tomorrow, you would almost certainly buy a lottery ticket, right? So after everything that Arya has seen, such as Beric being healed after being basically cleaved in half from shoulder to hip, after seeing the Hound at deaths door, only to find him absolutely fine at Winterfell. All at the hands of the Lord of Light. And his truest disciple is stood in front of her, basically telling her that she is destined to kill the Night King.

Hello! You've got yourself an (albeit extreme) self-fulfilling prophecy. Arya killed the Night King because the Lord of Light willed it, not because she was just destined to do so no matter what. She would not have even attempted that move if she wasn't sure it would work. The Lord of Light knew she would, in laymens terms, "get lucky", so made sure she "knew" she would succeed.

This is also why Melisandre finally lets herself die. Because her final task was to give Arya those final words of encouragement to make an attempt on the Night Kings life. She probably wanted to die much earlier, but as a disciple of the Lord of Light, had to fulfil her purpose.

We could also go into my theory that Bran / The Three Eyed Raven / The Lord of Light are all the same, but that's less solid. It certainly explains a lot of Bran's quotes this season about "Not being here if you hadn't acted the way you had." with Theon and others, given how much what happened depended on those people who would not have been there had it not been for the Lord of Light's intervention. He even gave Arya the dagger she would use for the kill!

The point is: Jon, Beric, and the Hound all had a role to play in the Night Kings downfall, even if it was not direct. So much of her story is to put Arya in the position where she had the skill to kill the Night King and the confidence to make the attempt in that moment. Arya got the kill, but it was the Lord of Light who defeated the Night King.

I honestly really really enjoyed it, but that's dependent on us getting exposition next episode. I like theorising a lot, but I still eventually want answers.

Also the soundtrack was glorious, and the dragon fight in the clouds was something I didn't realise I wanted but could not have the episode without now.

• spoooooiiuiilllleerrrrsssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss get off main page nowwwwwwww

I really do not get the "Bran didn't do anything" arguments. People don't seem to get what Bran's deal is. Bran doesn't give a shit about what's happening at Winterfell "right now". To him - he's already taken care of killing the Night King back in season 7 when he handed Arya the dagger.

• Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 4 spoilerseseseseseseseseseseseseseses

This was a pretty solid episode, I thought. And especially towards the end the gears started moving nicely and hyping up the inevitable fight for King's Landing and the realm, essentially. That dragon death managed to caught me off guard. As much as I don't like pretty much everything concerning Euron in the show this needed to happen to level the battle field. And now Dany's lost ser Jorah, one of her dragons and Missandei in quick succession, so her eye's starting to twitch, so to speak. The situation between Jon and his support doesn't help her stress, and in the next episode when even Varys tries to strangle her she'll finally go full daddy mad king Aerys Targaryen and snap.

Really liked the actual game of thrones talk in this one. Between Jon and Dany, but especially between Tyrion and Varys. (And Sansa, too.) Varys hasn't been in the spotlight for a long time, it feels, and now he'll get his final moment. It won't work, but is propably enough for Tyrion to make up his mind and do something drastic. I'm really into all this and whatever will happen because of these conversations.

• Gendry gets the Storm's End, cool! I liked that his Baratheon background finally had some sort of meaning, even in this form.
    • Bronn gets Highgarden? No way, dude. Although I'd be fine with that, what a ridiculously nice rise from the mud for the man that'd be. :) But I think he won't see the end, he'll appear in some dire situation and lose his live helping Tyrion or something. Or maybe not!
    • Arya and the Hound leaving together for potentially the final time for both(!) felt right.
    • "The Bear and the Maiden Fair" and all of that era finally came to fruition. I nodded acceptively.
    • The focus is moving away from the North, but I hope we'll still see the people there. Though there was a bunch of goodbyes now... Well Sansa and Bran at least still have their parts to play.

• I don't think I'm a good judge of the Game of Throne series, but as someone that thoroughly enjoyed A Song of Ice and Fire books before the series came out I really really hope we see a significant difference between the series and the books, because I'm not liking the way things have developed with the series.

And while I find the series still entertaining to watch I think it does a pretty poor job of keeping me invested in the world and the events.

I think before I had the ability of judging it as a addition to the books, but now that I have no way of suplementing its flaws it just feels incomplete and as a poorly crafter story.

• Could we not write spoilers for the next episodes? I don't watch the trailers and if things like this are revealed in them then I'd appreciate if we didn't share them. Thanks!

• @axel It seems you replied to my post with this. To which I can say no worries, I haven't watched any trailers either for upcoming episodes. I guess that Varys comment stands out in my post, but it's just pure speculation. Weirdly stated perhaps, I just think something like that will happen. Not necessarily strangling, maybe poison or a dagger.

• @sentinel-beach Oh ok my bad, it was so specific that I assumed you had seen it in the trailer. Never mind then!

• There are people on this show named Jamie and Brienne.
    There was a thing.
    Spoilers abound.

I think the Jamie and Brienne thing worked out in the only way it really could have. I still think she chose poorly though.

• @tokyoslim Spoiler Buffer that shit dude.

• Ok, but I didn't really spoil anything though :)

• Well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well well

"When my dragons are grown, we will take back what was stolen from me and destroy those who wronged me! We will lay waste to armies and burn cities to the ground!"

" I will take what is mine with fire and blood."