Game of Thrones Discussion [Spoilers]

• @Sentinel-Beach usually when GoT keeps showing you something over and over again for no reason, there's a reason.

• Global Moderator

I thought the episode was very predictable really. Not saying I'd call this happening at the beginning of the season but in terms of where we were with the last few episodes.

Cersei plans on backstabbing, dragon takes down wall and Jon and Dani get it on.

It was very bond villain-esque, Cersei explaining her evil plans and then letting Jamie go to just tell the enemy? That seemed a bit odd, especially since it seemed like she gave the kill order.

With that said, this episode did have arguably my favourite scene from the season, starting from the snow landing on Jamie's hand and the eventual snowfall around King's Landing. One of the few (possibly only) times where the show just soaked in a foreboding atmosphere. Would have actually been a nice way to end the season.

• @tokeeffe9 Don't forget Cersei playing Tyrion into thinking she's pregnant. This proves to me that she's %100 lying.

• @ib0show Its a food baby

• @Haru17 said in Game of Thrones Discussion [Spoilers]:

protects Daenerys from fire? Wouldn't Jon also be protected from fire, and wouldn't someone, anyone have noticed that?

Targaryen's aren't actually fire proof according to GRRM. The birth of the Dragon's was supposed to be a one-time magical event. However, since the show went past the books the show-runners have been playing a little fast and loose with that rule (Season 6 Episode 4).

So who knows.

Also, I hope we finally see people stop complaining about how none of the Northern party were punished for a stupid decision. They fell for a trap hook line and sinker, allowing:

For the Night King to destroy the Wall at Eastwatch, dispelling the magical protections in place and allowing the army of the dead to march through.

• Global Moderator

@Hazz3r Sorry but that's not how it works. The writers came up with a terrible way to give the Night King a dragon and it should be rightly criticised along with how ridiculous it was that only 1 person died (excluding the redshirts of course, gotta get those redshirt kills)

• @tokeeffe9 How many should have died.

• Global Moderator

@ib0show I can't tell if that's meant to be a serious, childish or just a plain silly question.

I've already said it before, if you keep on putting characters into precarious situations and continue to save them deus ex machina style, those moments along with the deaths lose the impact the show used to be lauded for.

Is there a reason why a lot of GoT fans can't seem to take any criticism of the show?

• @tokeeffe9 When a character dies their purpose has been completed so I asked who should have died and what would their purpose have been.

• Global Moderator

@ib0show You'll have to explain what you mean by purpose. Some examples please.

Seems like a strangely predictable way to look at when someone should die.

• @tokeeffe9 Most of those characters have a bigger purpose to play e.g Beric Dondarion died 6 times and revived because he has a bigger purpose to play in the show. Thoros of Myr died to tell the audience Beric is on his last life. The Hound can't die till he fights the Mountain, Gendry needs to make valeryian steel etc.
    My biggest complaint is the Winterfell story since it was created to kill Littlefinger. Littlefinger died after teaching Sansa everything he knew about playing the game and giving the dagger to Arya.
    I agree this show has done some stupid things but they're running out of time to finish the story so they had to rush some things along.

• Global Moderator

@ib0show That's surely a bad thing though. The hound can't die until he fights the mountain. That's just fan service.

If early GoT had been like that, Ned would still be alive, Oberyn would have killed the Mountain and continued on with his vengeance, Rob and co wouldn't be dead. That's the big difference. I'd argue those characters had a 'purpose' but that didn't matter.

• @tokeeffe9 I agree with that. The thing that made most of the deaths in the first seasons so shocking was specifically that these characters still had a role to play, and were expected to live much longer. "Nobody's safe" was the motto.

• @tokeeffe9 But surely, equally, the deaths the series is known for also lose impact if every time the characters are put in a precarious situation they most likely die. You become completely desensitised to it, the same way a lot of people who have grown up around modern media have become desensitised to violence in general.

The trick is to walk a fine line, getting as close as possible to dying while maintaining a plausible chance of survival.

Are you going to tell me that you weren't on the edge of your seat when Tormund was crying out for help (incredible acting btw) or in Jaime's final conversation with Cersei before leaving for Winterfell?

I also don't understand how you can just say "That's not how it works." They made a tactical error, they have paid for it massively.

Is the only meaningful 'punishment' death? Does nothing else matter?

• Global Moderator

But characters have been put into precarious situations and got out of it. Tyrion, Dani, Sansa.. all in the earlier seasons. I'll get into this actually as again, you can see pretty much after season 4 how things just get more ridiculous in terms of people surviving.

Sansa & Theon - Jumps off a castle without even picking up a scratch. The snow broke their fall I guess...
    Arya - Stabbed in the gut several times but somehow able to jump out windows etc the next day. That whole terminator sequence with the other one was ridiculous.
    The Hound - This one I'll at least give some suspension of disbelief.
    Jon Snow - Brought back to life and not for one second did anyone think he was actually dead.

And I can already read the comments saying come on, it's just a tv show which I would totally forgive if it didn't go out of it's way initially in being so ruthless.

To answer your question on Tormund and Jamie. No I wasn't because they've already shown this season is a setup season. They've preventing Jamie from dying so many times that they won't just kill him off in a scene only 3 people are involved in. On Tormund, he's still alive right now even with how the season ended and he'll probably get to Winterfell before the dead.

I'm saying 'that's not how it works' because it's an awful storyline. It's not believable whatsoever. All these people know what Cersei is like and there is no world where they'd believe this plan would work and they'd get a truce out of it. It's just complete nonsense. At what stage does a tactical error just come across as bad writing to you?

And just to point out, I'm not just talking about needing death to improve the show. Things just aren't believable. I've already talked about that whole silly expedition but you can look at other things too like the Sansa and Arya storyline was complete nonsense, just dragging out Littlefingers death. This is no more apparent than in the scene where Arya talks to Sansa in riddles when the two of them are alone. There is no reason for that scene to happen bar to confuse the audience. Immediately after his death, they're back to talking normally. That's just bad.

It's disappointing as there was a time when it was a great show but now it's a decent show with great production value.

• Thoros, Benjen, and Viceron died.

• @tokeeffe9 gonna be honest, you should prob just buckle in. They are written into a corner and have six episodes left to try and tie it all up in some semblance off the same way GRRM told them he plans to wrap up based on two plus books that likely won't be complete for 10 more years. Lol

Just think of how many simultaneous plots, prophecies, promises, wars, invasions, etc that are left to resolve. Next season is going to be the Deus Ex Machina-est season of all!

• How stupid would it be to make a final season over a year later with only 6 episodes? Unless they're like BBC series-length that would feel like an utter whimper of a way to end Game of Thrones. I can't believe that's what they'll do. They'll probably delay it even further out, but they can't have a short final season.

• @Haru17 This season was shortened too.

• @TokyoSlim Lol, I noticed.