Middle Earth: Shadow of War (PC/PS4/XB1)

• Banned

@Musou-Tensei Nah, EA has to wait and see if Andromeda flops or not.

• @Haru17 I think restricting it to Mordor makes it an easier game to develop: only one type of environment and just sprawling with enemies. Creating other locations may also mean creating more NPCs and cities and faithful architecture that's not only difficult, but changes the vibe. Even so, it would be awesome if they could pull it off. Maybe if they chose locations without citizenry it'd be more feasible? Maybe something like Moria or occupied Osgilliath would work?

• @Billy Thing is, I want this to be a Lord of the Rings action RPG. When was the last time we had one of those? Those city shots in the trailer — THAT'S what I want out of this.

• I loved Shadows of Mordor, don't care what anyone else says. The nemesis system was outstanding and made for lots of laughs on stream.

It also made me hope someone took that system and used it in another game, like batman for example, imagine a crime lord nemesis system!

• I'm sure this will be a fun game, but I'm really not into the Lord of the Rings lore, the world doesn't appeal to me, so I'll almost certainly skip that one.

• @ZyloWolfBane
    Last I heard WB Montreal is using the Nemesis system in their next Arkham game (Allegedly called Arkham Apocalypse) and that Rocksteady is using it in their next project (probably Superman)

Also its probably a safe bet WB has some patent on the Nemesis system , so its probably safe to assume that only WB made games will have it.

• Won't get it around launch. But its something I'll want to play at some point. As I loved the original. Although the nemesis system got tiring after nearly upgrading everything. Since the game was confined to two main areas. That weren't all that big.

Hopefully the sequel can spice things up more. Now that last gen console limitations won't affect design choices.

• @DMCMaster said in ME: Shadow of War. Get hyped. 2017 most probably will be the best year in video gaming history:

@ZyloWolfBane
    Last I heard WB Montreal is using the Nemesis system in their next Arkham game (Allegedly called Arkham Apocalypse) and that Rocksteady is using it in their next project (probably Superman)

Also its probably a safe bet WB has some patent on the Nemesis system , so its probably safe to assume that only WB made games will have it.

Promising to hear, I would LOVE rocksteady to use that system.

• Global Moderator

I bought the first game as I liked the idea of the combat and nemesis system. I played for about 20 hours, but hasn't finished it. Now it lies in my backlog to finish and stare back at me every time I look at my shelf.

• I am all for WB making the Nemesis system their "thing" for the games it fits well with. It added an extra level of personalisation to Shadow of Mordor. One deep enough to turn a bland action game into a rewarding experience.

• Banned

There's not many games the Nemesis System can work with. Let's not look over the fact that the main character needs to be immortal for it to make sense.

It could also maybe work in Pokemon. If you lose a fight you'll be sent to the Pokehospital only to come back and have the guy talk smack and have much stronger Pokemon.

• @Art said in ME: Shadow of War. Get hyped. 2017 most probably will be the best year in video gaming history:

There's not many games the Nemesis System can work with. Let's not look over the fact that the main character needs to be immortal for it to make sense.

It could also maybe work in Pokemon. If you lose a fight you'll be sent to the Pokehospital only to come back and have the guy talk smack and have much stronger Pokemon.

You don't need to have a immortality loop for it to work.

The death is very binary and it never quite clicked for me in Shadow of Mordor, it felt unnecessary. In fact it considerably lowered the stakes of the game for me. I die and keep coming back so why do I need to keep driving the plot forward? They could just have easily had it so the player character is forced to run away into hiding when they are beaten by an Orc.

In Batman it could be thugs who get away from you or who perform specific moves on the player to hinder their progress. They do something fancy and the rest of the criminals around them recognise their skill.

"I totally hit Batman in the face with THIS steel pipe after jumping from the walkway! It's even got some of his blood on it!!"

Boom that guy gets promoted within the gang he is in.

• Didnot liked the first game. they need to improve alot to make this one good.

• @thenerdtheword said in Middle Earth: Shadow of War (PC/PS4/XB1, 22nd August):

death is very binary

Yeah, no kidding :D. That's kind of inherent to the concept!

• I'm very much looking forward to this. Picked up the first one a couple months after launch and had a great time with it, even if the story was weak and the world kind of boring.

If this can manage to improve on those two areas then I'll love this probably.

• I bought the first one digitally, which is the only reason I still have it. It was a good time waster for a few days, but never grabbed me.

Sequel comes out on my birthday, but probably won't get it. Don't really care about LOTR games right now.

• Sounds like I'm the opposite of a lot of people here.. I'm a huge LoTR fan but I watched my roommate play Shadows for a bit and didn't really feel like it was something I'd be into. I'll be keeping an eye on this one though just in case

• @Faaip

Same with me. Im a huge LoTR fan and i still have SOM in my library. Gonna give it a go after i finish horizon

• I thought the cutscenes in Shadow of Mordor were interesting for an open world game, but not that it had a good plot or anything. Stealth-kissing your wife was nice, her being thrown into the refrigerator five minutes later was not. The ending is pretty trash though, no idea why they're maintaining the canon with a title as broad as 'Middle Earth.'

My biggest problem with the story is this one cave where you meet the 'human resistance' of Mordor. There are like, two NPCs despite much of the game being about freeing human prisoners. It seems pretty unconnected and facetious in that way.

Hopefully this one ends on them loosing Mordor entirely so there can be a Middle Earth game where players fight across Gondor in 2021. That being said, riding balrogs and fellbeasts could still be pretty darn cool.

• Interesting to see people feeling chilly towards this on account of not being big Tolkien fans. For me, my love for Tolkien is precisely what turns me off to it - as Damiani said, feels like fanfic. I'd be many times more amenable to the same mechanics in an original swords and sorcery universe. Illogical, but there you go.