Middle Earth: Shadow of War (PC/PS4/XB1)

• @Faaip

Same with me. Im a huge LoTR fan and i still have SOM in my library. Gonna give it a go after i finish horizon

• I thought the cutscenes in Shadow of Mordor were interesting for an open world game, but not that it had a good plot or anything. Stealth-kissing your wife was nice, her being thrown into the refrigerator five minutes later was not. The ending is pretty trash though, no idea why they're maintaining the canon with a title as broad as 'Middle Earth.'

My biggest problem with the story is this one cave where you meet the 'human resistance' of Mordor. There are like, two NPCs despite much of the game being about freeing human prisoners. It seems pretty unconnected and facetious in that way.

Hopefully this one ends on them loosing Mordor entirely so there can be a Middle Earth game where players fight across Gondor in 2021. That being said, riding balrogs and fellbeasts could still be pretty darn cool.

• Interesting to see people feeling chilly towards this on account of not being big Tolkien fans. For me, my love for Tolkien is precisely what turns me off to it - as Damiani said, feels like fanfic. I'd be many times more amenable to the same mechanics in an original swords and sorcery universe. Illogical, but there you go.

• I think people are more lukewarm towards it because the first game was highly praised and it just didn't land as much with the public.

I found it to be a pretty boring game and the nemesis system to just be a few scripts running in the background.

At this stage, the original story was bad and with the premise for this they might as well just go all out and go as insane as possible. I'd like it to end with you becoming the big bad Sauron v2 basically and if they do a follow up, a new character needs to take him down. Just go wild as it's complete nonsense anyway.

• Youtube Video

Ya... I'm not feeling this. Again it's insane how overpowered you are. You have an army but you don't need it from what I see.

• This looks good. I think it's a great idea to put the Nemesis system into use on your side as well, I don't know why I didn't think that before. Those dynamic moments give this a nice, unique feel. Like I burst laughing when the player's sniper buddy suddenly decided to nail that orc that came back to kick your ass. Didn't see that coming. :)

I personally don't mind being OP. It's kinda like in For Honor when your killing the normal guys on the field with these orcs, only more satisfying. There are then those special captains and higher that have some abilities and restrictions that force you to think for a moment a bit more.

• Ya but I don't think those fights look particularly memorable either.

The only thing I'll say is if they can make that nemesis system impactful so that I'd actually be really disappointed to see one of my orcs die.

• Sure. I hear you. I think that just having a brighter background would actually add something to that in a weird way, but Mordor's gonna Mordor.

I kinda felt sorry for the big guy when he burned. So I'm hopeful for some disappointing feelings (!).

• It's taking what I liked a lot in the first game and expanding upon it tenfold so I am sold. It may not be for everyone but being given immense power and control over the characters in a game like this is really appealing to me.

• Gameplay looks neat, much better than I thought it would be. I like they went all in on the Nemesis system to create a more unique experience.

@tokeeffe9 said in Middle Earth: Shadow of War (PC/PS4/XB1, 22nd August):

Ya... I'm not feeling this. Again it's insane how overpowered you are. You have an army but you don't need it from what I see.

Looked like they buffed up the player and scripted a bunch of stuff just to show the game off. I mean during the boss fight for example he had free executions.

• Not spoiling myself by watching the gameplay trailer just yet. I'm off work in 1 hour so can't wait. I am a huge LOTR fan so this is right up my alley and looking to understand more of the lore of middle earth especially from the Silmarillion.

• While combat in Shadow of Mordor was lackluster, it was the environment that bummed me out the most. Shadow of war seems so much better. It'll be fun conquering fortresses with your amassed army.Not yet hyped, but it has big potential for me.

• Banned

They're getting too close to "Not really an RTS Brutal Legend territory". Jack Black not included.

• @Art said in Middle Earth: Shadow of War (PC/PS4/XB1, 22nd August):

They're getting too close to "Not really an RTS Brutal Legend territory". Jack Black not included.

That's fine. With BL that came out of left field part-way through the game and wasn't that good. Here we know what we're getting and the Nemesis system was one of the better aspects of the first Mordor game, so they expand and improve it then it can only be a good thing.

• I really don't like the name, don't know why, it just rubs me the wrong way. Looking forward to playing it though, I really enjoyed the first one.

• I enjoyed the first one but my problems with the game were that the mission design was lazy, basically only relying on what the system can bring up, in this one it seems they are giving more diversity for, at least one, mission.
    My second problem was that, by the end it became easier and I didn't die, which is an important part of the nemessis system. However, now it seems the game is even easier. I'll asume that the game in hadicaped for demo purposes.

It seems this one is going to be a Scorpio showcase, I'm eager to see that.

• Still little cautious about it, but if this game executes what it tries to do, this just may turn out to be a fantastic game. I hope they've learned enough from the first one to make this one a success.

• I really enjoyed the first one, and the LotR setting is like a cozy blanket to wrap myself up in. Even if it is fanfiction-y orc slapstick. The most heartening thing I saw in this trailer was the Gondor areas. By the narration, it sounds like each of these map markers are different areas, so it'll be great to explore some more charted lands.

The gameplay looks like a huge number of moving parts. I hope it's as easy to pick up and play as the first one — what made it a sandbox and not an open world — as that was the best thing about the first game. Let's hope it's not another case of cramming cumbersome crafting, RPG, and strategy elements into an action game. It could be a really fun game if not, especially if they polish up the combat mechanics, beast riding, and add some diversity to the areas.

• I absolutely loved the nemesis system in the first game, and the additions to it look super amazing. I'd totally be down for exploring this world all over again but ... to be honest, I'm kinda at the point where I'm hoping some of these games get pushed back to next year. When am I ever going to have the time to play this?

• I think the back half of 2017 looks pleasantly light. In terms of my radar at least, last year was Deus Ex, Dishonored, Final Fantasy, The Last Guardian, Pokemon one after the other to the point where I couldn't finish them fast enough to keep up. This fall is just Middle Earth, Red Dead Redemption 2, Super Mario Odyssey, the Zelda DLC, and Ace Combat 7 maybe. If all goes well, I'm going to use spring and summer to catch up on the last fall and this March.

Admittedly E3 (or rather the two week period of announcements before it) hasn't come yet, but I think it's safe to say that relatively few people here are way into Destiny, Battlefront, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, and the brigade of sports games. Those are basically the only games announced at and aroundE3 that will be out this year.

And of course Bethesda or Nintendo might have some before end of year games to show, but whatever takes the place of Elder Scrolls / Fallout could still be a ways off, and Nintendo still has to establish 2018 for the Switch.

Sorry if that's too off-topic, just organizing my thoughts. Point is: Middle Earth is a day-one buy barring something crazy like it launching at the same time as the Zelda DLC.