Middle Earth: Shadow of War (PC/PS4/XB1)

• @Haru17 I mean, Shelob is basically half godly entity, half giant spider, so the writers could just be giving her the power to shapeshift to go with the rest of the fan-fic.

• Lol what in the actual f...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-08-15-why-shelob-is-a-woman-in-shadow-of-war

Plater's approach to Shelob comes from an interpretation that she and Gollum are, in fact, the unsung heroes of The Lord of the Rings. Put simply, it's his take that Frodo fails to cast the ring into the fires of Mount Doom at the crucial moment - instead Gollum succeeds where he cannot (albeit tumbling into the fire himself along the way). According to de Plater, that weakness in Frodo was something Shelob sensed, making a pact with Gollum and hastening him on his way to Mount Doom and the final confrontation that saw the ring destroyed. It also goes some way to explaining why Shelob tried to eat Frodo in The Two Towers.

• This got moved out of the current Shadow of Mordor thread into an older one, so just bumping this so people see this ridiculousness.

• @TokyoSlim Ya, was going to add a comment about it. Anyway, it's more appropriate here.

And on the article.. that is some ridiculous stretch to justify that nonsense. Just tell people why she's actually in the game.

• All of this recent news combined with huber's disappointment from E3 makes this a pretty hard pass for me.

There's plenty of other games coming out around the same time that I really fail to see what Shadow of War is bringing to the table that is unique enough to warrant $60 minimum, not counting any content they've put in the season pass.

I'd probably be able to forgive a lot of it if the orc killing/etc was super well polished, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

• Finally got this. Just finished the surprisingly long Act I and now the actual new game can start, meaning now Talion has the ability to dominate orcs and can start building his own army. This'll be a long fight, a long war. Cool story beats at the end of the first act, Mordor's biggest and baddest character(s) made their entrance, as well as an opposing force.

And the orc captains work really, really well. Man, I like this Nemesis system so much. It's been already now so many times that a captain has said something surprisingly neat context-wise, e.g. how they're still alive after our last encounter, or how I'm a coward for attacking them from behind, or how they ambush me for trying to get a collectible and then mock me for that. I might have killed their men just seconds before by an explosive burning and the captain comments on that. All kinds of stuff. Lots of unexpected cool commentary again and again.

• Banned

@sentinel-beach They need to use the Nemesis system in more games.
    Can you imagine an Arkham game with it?

• @el-shmiablo Wasn't it rumored last year that WB Montreal's Batman would have that?

• @capnbobamous
    That it was, and possibly that Harry Potter game too.

• Banned

@capnbobamous Oh yeah! Totally forgot about that.
    I personally would prefer it to be in a Rocksteady Arkham game, as if Origins is indicative of the quality we'll get from the next Batman game out of WB Montreal, I am cautiously pessimistic to say the least.
    Talk about the definition of a filler game.

• @el-shmiablo
    Idk Shadow of the Tomb Raider feels more like a filler game the Origins did imo

• @el-shmiablo Not to derail the topic, but I actually rather enjoyed Origins. It's a shame it was just another Joker story, but it was done well enough. It also has my favorite boss fight in the series.

@DMCMaster I don't quite know how that would work, but that would be dope.

• @el-shmiablo The new game from Ken Levine is supposed to use some form of nemesis system, but no real clue how that thing is going to turn out or even what it is.