My Favorite Movies: 1915-1919

• This post is deleted!

• Global Moderator

Very interesting and inspiring list!

I am a big sucker for Chaplin and his visual language. Even without a word being spoken he still managed to show more emotions than modern film! Nothing today comes close.

Somehow I had completely missed "A Man There Was". After reading your short text about it I feel that I owe it to myself to find this film and watch it!

I would also like to add "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" (1916) to your list! It is differnt. As a diver myself I can also appreciate the shots of fish etc extra much when you think about what time this was filmed.

I hope you continue with your list! I know that I want to see more!

• @Lotias
    Yes! I've seen 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. It's got some very strong production design and some cool photography but it didn't reach me as much as the other films from the same year---though it has been a few years since I've seen it.

I'm glad you enjoyed my blog! I really love film, and any time my praise can gravitate someone towards a film I love or find interesting it makes the time feel worth it. I plan to keep this blog series going, but I've got a few films to track down from 1920-1924 which is the next entry, so it'll probably be up some time later in July.

Thanks again!

• @Ringedwithtile
    Haven't had a chance to go through this properly as I'm on a crazy work all nighter, just wanted to say this is a phenomenal start to the blog, tons that is new to me, and I work as a film researcher amongst other gigs! So glad to see Lubitsch on the list, never thought I'd see him mentioned here, that puts paid to my assumptions; the EZA community has already surprised me and continues to regularly, it's so refreshing compared to the usual gaming forum fare.

alt text

Can't wait for you to hit 1928 just to see if you mention one of my favourite films of all time.

You've put me in mind of The Story of Film: An Odyssey by Mark Cousins. Would love to start talking about some of the connections and links between very different films across time as this goes on. Quick question, you've got documentary in with narrative drama, any plans to include purely art film / avant garde work at all? Viking Eggeling, Maya Deren, Hollis Frampton, Peter Tscherkassky et al

alt text

• @flower_arrangement

Thank you! And yes, there will be a good deal of experimental and non-narrative cinema going forward, especially once we hit the mid-20's, when film really intersected with the art scene. I love every facet of cinema, and I think my following blogs will reflect that even more given how exponentially the medium grew in following decades.

But yeah, I dig it all, dude!

• @Ringedwithtile
    Amazing! Have you read the late A.L. Rees' A History of Experimental Film and Video? If not I highly recommend it, I think you'll love it.

• As a film major this thread (hopefully a series?) has me salivating.

• @ObbyDent
    Thanks! And yes, I plan to continue doing these. The next one will have twice as many films though, because I'll have a top 10 for each year.

• I highly recommend Intolerance. Fantastic production values, :sunglasses: