My Impressions of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

• Global Moderator

Hello Allies!

On my Birthday I recieved Uncharted: Nathan Drake Collection. Despite owning a PS3 since launch I yet had not played any of the Uncharted games (I know shame on me!). However, now it was time to give this beloved by many series a chance. I sit here and the end credits have just rolled. I was thinking of sleeping on it first before I gave my opinion. However, I wanted to have the game fresh in mind when I wrote this. This is mainly my view of the experience and I will spoiler mark so that other people thinking about picking up the game can read through without getting spoiled.

So. Where do it all start?
    First of all I know that I play a polished version so cant talk much about how it all have aged. However, it still contains same gameplay and characters as the original. When the game starts I sigh to myself and just think "old school tutorials". However, I quickly notice how human and alive Drake and Elena seem. They talk, utter small comments and you can really see the use of motion capture have added a big layer or realism. However, this can not be said by the enemies. They move a bit... twitchy and even though the animations themselfs are smooth, there are some weird paus inbetween, almost like they are waiting for a new animation to start. As well when they get shot, sometimes they do this little dance in reaction which just feels strange.

Bang Boom Ratatatatata.
    The weapons feels a lot same-ish. You have pistols, machine guns, shotguns and granade launcher. It is no more but no less than expected. The bad guys seems to keep the same 3 weapons through out most of the game. Yet there were parts when I just wanted to throw the controller away due to the sheer number of enemies approaching. Sometimes you think that you have killed one enemy just to realise that he got a tiny bit of health left, but since you went onto next enemy he comes up behind you and you end up sandwiched badly between the enemies. Also I dont reallt understand the visual field of the enemies, sometimes I could walk up behind them and take them out quietly, other times they saw me across the area.

You carry maximum of 2 weapons at a time, one "big" and one "small" firearm. I felt quickly that you dont really need your pistol, sure it is good to reck in those headshots for the trophy, but beyond that you might as well just go for the full AK and hammer things down. I know its an "adventure game", but would more variation and balance be too much to ask for?

Main Characters
    I will try and keep this spoiler free.
    At the beginning I wasnt so sure how I felt about Drake, he seemed a little too much of a smart arse to me. Silly one-liners came raining down and the "oh no oh no" when a granade landed close by quickly got repetative. However, the further the game progressed, the more I fell in love with him. As so many others who have played the game before me, I quickly started to compare him to Nathan Fillion in Firefly. Instead of just having the stereotypical white male hero, he actually had humour and seemed to be selfaware if that makes sense. I now got a mancrush on him and can see why he has become a bit of a symbol for playstation.

Elena - To begin with she felt very much like a typical love interest in distress. Stubborn and annoying. There are still bits of her Im not really sure of, but heck.. by the end of the game I think I fell in love with her! She got her feet on the ground and complement Drake in a good way.

Sully - My least favourite main character (if you can call him that). He is so obvously meant to be the "oh not sure if we can trust this selfish but turn out to be good guy" - type.

When he got shot at the begining I immidietly said "Well he will either come back as the total bad guy or as one of those sidekicks which needs to be taken care off." and boom. he pops back.

Gameplay
    At first I did not like the controller at all. It is different from what I have used in other coverbased games. Almost as a mix of ghost recon and jak and daxter. Drake Jumps, climbs, takes cover, run and gun and kill everyone in his way. As climbing are one of the core mechanics it is still quite awkward at times. There were times I were about to jump out to a block in the wall and he just jumped next to it and fell to his death. Same goes with jumping between platforms. Turning around whilst hanging to jump over a gap really annoyed me sometimes due to him not aiming for the other side sometimes - however I think this was more due to the camera rather then the controller. Yet I must say that the platforming 95% of the time were absolute brilliant. Smooth jumps, reactions to how he gripped the other side and not just climb up right away. Having some pieces falling apart as you climb added some really cool variation without beeing farfetched. The game were a little bit to obvious with "now we want you to kill bad guys" and "now we want you to do some puzzling". The puzzles were really fun and gave a good challenge without becoming annoying or repetative (which are surprising due to them are normally about similar things).

The jetski part were however the worst part of the entire game. going up that river were horrible and just plain annoying the entire trip. I see why its there and why its needed, but I didnt like the awkward controll or how it slided fron side to side, maybe its just me being bad, but still.

Story
    Well.. what can I say without spoiling too much? Great story! Indiana Jones meets tomb raider. As games normally have really cheesy and cliché stories, I really enjoyed this one a lot.

Drake really doesnt have much luck with vehicles, does he? But it managed to keep me wanting to know what was happening next and would we find sir Drake?

I really felt like I was exploring the island and I eagerly anticipated what would be around the corner.

Towards the end I must say that when the creepy monsters started to appear, I was worried that the whole thing were going to derail badly. Yet it stayed on a decent level and quite frankly I felt kinda terrified the entire chapter facing the monsters.

Naughty dog have really created a story that takes you in, gives you what you expect but also more! me like!

Verdict
    Is it worth playing? YES! So much YES! you have to remember that it is now what might be considdered an old game. Yet I felt like given a fresh experience whilst playing it! There are small bits and bops that you might want to give a blind eye to. However, there are no surprise to that Naughty Dog really knows how to create great games! If you want sometime different from all the other brain dead "KEEL EVERYTHING LULZ!" and looking for a few fun hours with puzzles and giggles - its a game for you!

Now the question is if I play through it again to try and collect everything, or if I jump into game 2 which I am really REALLY looking forwards to now and come back later?
    If you have read this far I just want to say a big thank you! Im normally not super good with expressing myself in text, but please add your view and experience with the game (keep it spoiler free!). Other comments are welcome as well! and if people liked this I will do the same once Ive finished Uncharted 2!

//Lotias

• Nice review! I never got why so many people dislike the first Uncharted.. I think it totally holds up and is still a lot of fun to play.

That being said, you should still definitely move on to Uncharted 2.. its a fantastic game and there are some really major improvements between the two.

I traded in my PS4 collection to buy Uncharted 4 and now I kind of regret it because I want to go back and play them again!

• The Pistols are actually more ammo efficient than the automatic rifles

• The revisionist history class that everyone seems to have taken on Drake's Fortune is pretty interesting to me.

It's definitely not as good as the games that followed it but it's still an enjoyable ride.

• Having never played an Uncharted game prior to picking up the Nathan Drake Collection, I played through Drake's Fortune fully aware that it was a product of its time and I should judge it as such. As a cover-based shooter from a time before developers perfected popping in and out of cover behind conveniently placed indestructible crates and collapsed pillars, it has aged surprisingly well.

• Can't wait for you to play the other games. UC1 is a product of its time and still good today but the other three games blow it away in every single respect.

• Global Moderator

@Faaip said in My Impressions of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune:

Nice review! I never got why so many people dislike the first Uncharted.. I think it totally holds up and is still a lot of fun to play.

That being said, you should still definitely move on to Uncharted 2.. its a fantastic game and there are some really major improvements between the two.

I traded in my PS4 collection to buy Uncharted 4 and now I kind of regret it because I want to go back and play them again!

Thank you! Yeah I guess I could always drop back when I have less things to do in order to clear the timed challenges etc! and I agree! the game still holds up really well! I plan on buying 4 after Ive finished these 3 games (if I still like them by then haha).

@unholyrevenger72 said in My Impressions of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune:

The Pistols are actually more ammo efficient than the automatic rifles

Yeah it was easy with poking out and just get some headshots! still need to get 30 kills with a lot of weapons

@Light said in My Impressions of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune:

It's definitely not as good as the games that followed it but it's still an enjoyable ride.

Interesting! what I've heard from other people (before 4 was released) is that the second game is the best in the series! (which seems to be with many games series).

@TheDrZoidberg said in My Impressions of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune:

Having never played an Uncharted game prior to picking up the Nathan Drake Collection, I played through Drake's Fortune fully aware that it was a product of its time and I should judge it as such. As a cover-based shooter from a time before developers perfected popping in and out of cover behind conveniently placed indestructible crates and collapsed pillars, it has aged surprisingly well.

Yeah! I think playing the remastered version kinda helped as well! I guess they have ironed out some of the creases that might have been in the original (yet sometimes the jump/roll animations doesnt fit fully, but they do look beautiful).

@ObbyDent said in My Impressions of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune:

Can't wait for you to play the other games. UC1 is a product of its time and still good today but the other three games blow it away in every single respect.

Thank you! Yes I really was positivily surprised by the game! I was worried before I started it that I would need to force myself through it in order to get to the good parts, but not at all! Will make threads once I have played through the other games as well.

• Really glad you enjoyed the first uncharted. I personally love all the uncharted games but there is just something special about the first one. Having read your impressions of the first game I think you will enjoy the rest of the series. The game's main driving force is your interest in the characters and what's going to happen to them next. If that wasn't enough to motivate you to continue to play I don't know if Id recommend the rest of the games.

• I don't think this applies to most games, but going for trophies in Uncharted 1 was what really made me love it.
    I owned and finished it months before trophy support was added but that made me play it again and actually appreciate it a lot more.

I want to recommend taking a break between games. If only to simulate the wait some of us would have gone through between games but also to judge Drake's Fortune on its own a bit more, before you play the sequels.
    Same goes for when you play 2, 3 and 4.

• Good impressions! I'm only at about chapter 11 myself, but really impressed with how well most of it holds up. Definitely a pistol user though :P

• Global Moderator

@kirkking2000 said in My Impressions of Uncharted: Drake's Fortune:

Good impressions! I'm only at about chapter 11 myself, but really impressed with how well most of it holds up. Definitely a pistol user though :P

Thank you! Yeah so was I! haha I did that just to get my headshots at start, but then kinda stoped using it! I think the game also keeps getting better the further in you get!

As @pphair said, I might take a little break before I jump into second as I got some IRL stuff to take care of! but might start with it next week if everything goes well

• Global Moderator

I also realised that my next part prolly should be posted under "Blogs" rather than general.. I think