Persona 5 (PS4/PS3)

• @FF7Cloud But costs more.

• My copy arrived early this morning. I'm going to jump in soon.

• Just waiting for my copy to arrive! Ack! The hype is unreal!

• @michemagius

Same, mail truck is in the neighborhood, just not to my house yet

• It's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Mine is here too!!

• Starting to get major FOMO about not having this yet. Hoping to pick it up sooner rather than later.

• So random question for anyone that started to play this with Japanese audio.... any problems?

Cause I downloaded the Japanese audio dlc pack, and when I choose that language in the game it doesn't seem to work right. The animated cut scenes are fine, but in game it seems like where voices are, I just get different music tracks playing. It's super weird, I don't even hear sound effects anymore. Everything is fine if I go back to English though.

• their no install ? or day one patch? sweet

• @Inustar That's weird. I haven't encountered that yet, but I'm not very far in.

• Starting up Persona 5.
    Never played any of the Persona games.
    English dubs or Japanese audio?

• @Cinder-Byte Probably depends on what you prefer. Like if you watch anime, do you prefer your own language or the original? Also if you hate subtitles, then English is the likely answer.

For me, well I've had issues even being able to get japanese audio to work, so I've been stuck with English. There are some weird misspronunciations, so if that drives you crazy then go for Japanese. Otherwise English has been pretty decent so far.

You can change back and forth though, at least other people have been able to, so you don't have to commit to one immediately.

• English audio for me, creator's intent!

Loving it so far, no surprises there. I'm loving how they're incorporating elements from the first 2 games.

Once I found out guns were back, my day had been made. Also, being called Joker is such a damn good nod.

• Oh well getting the Steelbook now, the shop just told me. Still paying the lower price as it was their mistake so it's fine.

@SabotageTheTruth said in Persona 5 - (PS4/PS3):

English audio for me, creator's intent!

How is that the creator's intent? The english dub was done as part of localization by Atlus USA, the original japanese release didn't had that.

• The new igor is going to take some getting used to.

• @Musou-Tensei Pretty sure he just means the original intent for the English release. After all we weren't supposed to get Japanese audio until the game was delayed again and they gave it to us as an apology.

• I much prefer playing with the dub.

• @Musou-Tensei Huber had made the case a long while back (I can't recall for which game) but the idea is that developers generally want you playing the game in a language you understand. It does depend on the game and personal preference but in something like this one, the intent is very clear - they want you walking around and listening to all the mini-conversations that occur. I'd argue a little of that magic is lost if you're reading subtitles since it's actually pretty immersive how the dialogue is mixed.

• @SabotageTheTruth Sorry, but I think that's dumb, unless it's like NieR which has only 1 version worldwide with both languages, I don't think it's the actual creator's intend, especially for japanese devs who often make games for a japanese audience 1st, and if no one would take on localizing it they probably wouldn't care either way. I highly doubt Compile Heart cares in the slightest if us gaijins can understand their games or not, it's IFI who decides what we get and what not, but they aren't the creator's.

• @Musou-Tensei Why would you want to develop a game and not have the audience understand it? Especially in this case where you have an extreme amount of incidental voice-over work that is meant to be heard as if you were actually walking down the street, in a hallway, etc. That is a very deliberate design decision that was not present in any other Persona game (hell in most games in general) that becomes a lesser version of itself without a language you understand - you would either need to stop walking to read it all or ignore it all entirely. There's an argument to be made about whether or not these interactions are necessary (they aren't) but they certainly add more flavor to the world and help it feel more alive.

You named some very niche companies that yes, primarily create games for a Japanese market, so you are more than likely correct when saying they don't even keep other markets in mind. I'm going to make an educated guess though and say that is not the case for Atlus and the creator's intent here is to have everyone understand what is being said - hence delays just to perfect localization.

I also just want to point out I'm not saying playing with subtitles on is wrong by any measure, play how you want to play.

Now it's time for me to squeeze in a few hours of sleep and get cracking at a Palace right after, whee.