Persona 5 (PS4/PS3)

• Just started playing this game after buying it a few weeks back, 5 hours in, i'm absolutely impressed by everything so far. I like the fact that you're the bad boy of the school now, everyone's talking about you, everyone's avoiding you, which makes this feels so different from Persona 3 & 4. Previously you're just some regular new kid, it's normal to feel uneasy since no one knows who you are yet, and there's not much controversy regarding your past. Now, everyone knows your past, and they don't want some "criminal" walking down their neighborhood. Makes the game feel fresh for me.
    I also like that it's quite friendly to newcomers of the series. A lot of helpful tutorials are available, and they show each mechanic of the game slowly, instead of just drowning you in the deep ocean right away. Previous games kinda did this, but to a lesser extent.
    I'll post some updates here again, when i make considerable progress.

• Global Moderator

I gotta say, I'm absolutely hooked on Persona 5 now. I've just made it to the sixth palace and the story is seriously ramping up!

Also I've been streaming the game and someone came into chat and said a 'spoiler' which was pretty believable to me but it looks like they were just messing.

I'm after maxing both Tae and Kawakami and have to admit that in this role play I'm going for, I do find it a bit strange that they can be romantic options, in particular the teacher but I do like both characters and stories a lot. And the skills.

• @tokeeffe9 yeah, the romancable Kawakami-chan is a bit weird, thematically. But then again, I AM the bad boy.

• Global Moderator

Okay, should have written this a month ago but here we are. I did indeed complete Persona 5 and absolutely loved it. I've only played 4 and 5 but without a doubt I think this is all in all, a better game. This post probably won't be as long as it could have been but I'll try and point out the things I liked towards the end.

The music was so good. Firstly, the surprise when you hear lyrics on songs was amazing. I loved it. I'm already pumped when Life will Change kicks off but that added to it.

I ended up romancing Makoto. I agree with @DeweyDecibel where I think the game does go a bit too strong in making her the obvious choice. Maybe they felt with Ann being there so early that they needed to balance it with another character. Either way, Makoto is one very cool character.

Before getting into any spoilers I've one major issue with the game and with all forms of media that does this. The whole situation with the present actually being the interrogation scene and the past being everything you're playing is awful. I always assumed the interrogation was a flashforward but later in the game they do this awful thing where they withhold information the player clearly should know and I hate it when something does that. It made me so annoyed. The worst thing about it too is that earlier in the game they do something very cool in hinting at something and if they continued down that path, it would have been a much more satisfying way to reveal storypoints.

Actually I don't think I need to go into spoilers because that kinda covered what I hated about it while still being vague. Other than that I loved this game, I loved how they implemented Mementos in the end (although they're a bit boring) and I was back on board with the story once we got a bit past the interrogation scene.

100 hours well spent!

• @tokeeffe9 Good to hear your impressions and that you like it.

I always find it funny when people bring up mementos as a low point, I personally thought it was pretty well handled (it could be improved ofc) at it just makes me think 'these people have never suffered through Tartarus :)'

I also suppose it wouldn't be bad to mention that the anime is a mere two weeks away now!!!, based on the previous animes I wouldn't expect greatness but I know in the past it has helped bring people into the franchise so I can only hope this one will do so again.

• @bard91 said in Persona 5 (PS4/PS3):

it just makes me think 'these people have never suffered through Tartarus :)'

That is true. Mementos was 1000x better than Tartarus. It just still seemed a bit too long and drawn out. I think having like

67 levels

made it drag on a bit too long. Especially if you mostly ignore it during your playthrough and then have to go through it all at once at the end.

I didn't play it that way, but it CAN be played that way and that's kind of a drag at the end of the game.

• Global Moderator

Ya it absolutely did and I kinda wondered how the end game would be for people who didn't touch mementos at all. I remember someone coming into my stream and mentioning exactly that. I can imagine that would be a massive drag towards the end.

• @tokyoslim yeah the fact that it could be non mandatory content that actually ends up being mandatory is unfortunate and I'm sure it s not the intention, but as you say someone could do it that way and the game would be worse for it no doubt.

I think the same of going through palaces in one sitting with the SP bands from Takemi, I believe those items were an unfortunate need that make it too simple through go through palaces in a single sitting, which I'm positive is not the intention and which I also think makes the game worse, afterall I've heard many times how people see the palaces as too long or too much time in between events (I agree with neither of these) and part of that I think is because of people rushing through palaces. Again I think it is an unfortunate option they had to add, which I think goes against the original intentions of the game.

• @bard91 Mm, I'd say that depends on the player though. I know of several people that didn't realize those items even existed (because they didn't form a bond with her). Personally, if I didn't finish the palace in the first day, I then felt that subsequent visits to the palace were wasting my time, it was the same in Persona 4. 3 had the exhaustion factor so that actually did seem like it was creator's intent not to breeze through everything in one night but considering it was removed in 4 and 5, I gotta say they have the option available for people that want it. I personally loved the pace of finishing the palace immediately and having weeks left to "relax". I know a few people complained it's strange the characters still talk about being worried, but I mean... you're stealing someone's heart in a metaverse, there's no guarantee it will work, the worry seemed genuine to me.

tl;dr - if the SP bands weren't in the game, I would have been pretty frustrated.

• @sabotagethetruth yep that's why I think it is a necessary element that goes against their vision (or what I theorize is their vision)

they know people would want that ability to do beat a palace in one sitting, but the game is built so that you don't have to do that, and in fact it fits better with the story if you don't.

And don't get me wrong I love to have weeks available as well, and it is what I've done so in my last two playthroughs, but the way the game is constructed I think it is better paced if you don't do that.

The wasted time argument is certainly true and one I think a lot people have, in my first playthrough I came in knowing I wouldn't max everything and took my time with each palace not really caring about taking long to beat them and knowing that it would affect how much I got done (which I was cool with knowing I would immediately play the game again :P), but that is me as a fan of the series knowing what to expect, I know that a lot of people think it is frustrating to think they are not doing the 'right' thing everyday.

Also who the hell doesn't make a bond with Takemi??? Like I get different strokes and all, but like seriously what do they have against perfection?

• This post is deleted!

• The Sims x Persona 5. The perfect blend of ingredients.

Youtube Video

• RESURRECTION
    With the Persona 5 Royal and Persona 5 S full reveals just around the corner I figured it'd be a good time to bring this back.
    That said just to keep chat going any Quality of Life improvements you'd like to see, or additional content in either version?

• @dmcmaster

I had to look up what you were talking about with P5 R and P5 S. I still don't have much clarity but there will apparently be a female lead character?

Not entirely sure what this is all about but there are a few things in Persona 5 that can use some cleaning up. Other than maybe a 10 hour commitment to Persona 4 on PS2, I only started with Persona 4 Golden which I understand completely re-wrote characters like Yukiko or at least tonally changed her purpose. Considering I never finished the OG Persona 4, I can't comment on what it was like but Yuki was my favourite character so they clearly did a good job in the Golden version.

If Persona 5 R or S are going to be in-line with definitive polish passes that we've seen from P4:G or even Divinity Original Sin 2, then maybe Persona 5 can re-write a few things here and there to make me want to play it again. I heard characters like Hifumi were supposed to be much more important than they currently are. Hifumi is a perfect example of an interesting character that could be re-worked into the story. Likewise, Futaba feels like she comes into the picture waaaaaaay too late for you to fully unfold her confidant story, yet, she is so important to the main plot.

Generally, I think we can shrink this game by 15-25 hours without sacrificing much. Grinding in Mementos wasn't ever bad but it wasn't ever stimulating either. If the game made you powerful enough to skip over that grind, then we'd lose 10+ hours easy peasey.

• Small things
    Touch up the controls and make them a bit snappier, and a little less rigid.
    Include a marker for where a social link Is at.
    More stealth/thief options.
    Maybe do something like ambushing enemies 10+ levels weaker then you automatically defeats them and Grant's you whatever XP and money said enemies would have given you.

Slightly larger things
    Some more visual variety to mementos, maybe add some elements from finished places.
    Hifumi , maybe rework her story so that she can join the party as originally intended. On that note
    Maybe make some of the confidants optional party members, they'll be stuck with a super version of generic enemies, but adds some party variety.

• @dmcmaster said in Persona 5 (PS4/PS3):

Maybe do something like ambushing enemies 10+ levels weaker then you automatically defeats them and Grant's you whatever XP and money said enemies would have given you.

This alone - BAM! 10 hours cut. Between a few of our ideas P5 has gone from 100 hours to 70 hours with a few tweaks.

• If we are making suggestions, can Persona 6 have less than 8 dungeon formula. I'm happy with less

• @dipset the female lead was just a misunderstanding and people rushing to conclusions, it is likely a new female npc.

I don't know where you are getting that about Yukiko's differences in Golden, but that is just not right, all of the characters did get more exposure time through new events but no character was really rewritten in any way, and I wouldn't expect anything as drastic here either, since that hasn't been Atlus MO when it comes to 'enhanced' versions, but I guess it is not completely impossible.

Hifumi was initially planned to be part of the Phantom Thieves, but the idea was scrapped partly as a result of length concerns, but it seems that was very early in development, around the same time the MC was planned to live with Sae, so a lot of changes likely took place between that initial concept and the end result.

Personally I don't want anything to be shrinked, I'm perfectly happy with the pace and length of the game, and again looking at Atlus MO for revised versions I wouldn't expect that to be the case.

• @dmcmaster said in Persona 5 (PS4/PS3):

I think minus the xp and money, the game already does this, and I don't even think it has to be a 10 level difference.

• @bard91
    I think she might be a female MC, but for like a Epilogue mission