Persona 5 (PS4/PS3)

• Finished Yakuza 5 loved it, a lot of fun.
    Now my plate is clean for when Persona 5 gets here next week!

• Reviews are out pretty much everywhere, read/see them at your own discretion, I'm only looking at scores and summaries.

• Anyone know if I can jump into this series here? I'm very interested in this, but I've never played any previous Persona games.

• @kariwgoebel don't know but I am doing it. People have been talking about it a lot so I can get back to you after the launch if you want me to and give me 2 cents on what I think if you want ?

• @fettouhi yeah, I'd be interested. I'm pretty much sold anyway, but I want to finish Horizon Zero Dawn first so it might be awhile before I get to it.

This game just went to #1 on my interest chart surpassing Nier: Automata as the next game I play.

Thank goodness I got Nioh and Zelda done for now.

• 2017 will be remembered as one of greatest year of gaming. i recently replayed entire Nier Automata again so I'm ready dive in to Persona 5.

• @kariwgoebel kk, ill post somthing about it in this topic then

• @kariwgoebel You can jump in anywhere really the games are not directly connected to each other.

I would say there are arguments for P3, P4 and P5.

P3 is the beggining of the current format of the Persona games and it is really good, but can be seen as kinda dated.

P4 is a more polished game that P3, and it has more likeable characters and it is better designed. I've seen plenty of people give up on P3 and love P4.

P5 play one of the greats while it is new :D

I would not recommend Persona 2 unless you are big traditional JRPG fan, and don't mind dated mechanics. and I wouln't recommend the first game period.

EDIT: I misread your question :P, but yeah you can absolutely start here.

• I absolutely love Persona 1 (much more than both parts of Persona 2) but to each their own.

Strange thing I've noticed with the Persona scoring - the words I'm reading are much more positive than a lot of what I saw for Breath of the Wild (or at least similar in respect) yet the scores themselves are marginally lower. Reading through most BOTW reviews, reviewers were quick to point out flaws but still stamp it with a 10/10, perfect rating yet the overviews I've seen for Persona have listed zero or negligible flaws, calling it one of the best RPGs ever made, yet 9/10. Maybe I didn't dive in deep enough to the Persona reviews because I still know literally nothing about the game and wish to keep it this way, but I can't help but feel like the industry's bias is showing pretty clearly here.

Luckily, we all love the most trusted review source out there, so I know Ben will give it a fair shake. If I had to bet, probably 4.5 stars due to pacing issues or something along those lines (something the series is notoriously bad for) but... I also wouldn't be surprised to see the fabled perfect rating.

The most anticipated game of my life (so far) is almost here. Feels good.

• I went into Gamestop today, traded in a value of $115 in games, paid off my collector's edition preorder, and just let the weight of Tuesday sink into me.

As much as I loved the release of 3 and 4 (I semi-cosplayed as Katsuya to pick up the copy of the 3rd game), this feels much more of an event because so many of you are anticipating it and the Allies as well. If you haven't watched the latest Easy Allies Podcast, give it a spin. Michael Huber does an incredible service which means even more Allies will be discussing the game after release.

• @SabotageTheTruth Yeah, I watched the IGN review and they mentioned no negatives and it scored a 9.7. That's a great score, to be sure, but it does bug me that they gave BotW a 10, when honestly that review mentioned some small negatives. I like review sites to have more consistency, I guess. I don't mind lower scores, like Edge giving it that 8, cause that is an amazing score. I just want it to be fair, even when compared to other games.

Either way, I am hyped for this game and am glad reviews are backing that hype up. Hopefully Amazon doesn't fail me, and I get my game in Tuesday.

Also side note, I hate the internet on April 1st. I did a search for Persona 5 reviews, and something came up about P5 getting a Switch release announced. The day has barely started!

• Has anyone that preordered the digital version been able to download the game? Before it says that it would dowloand on 4/1, but it hasn't started and I'm not getting any options for it to download.

• @bard91 I don't think its going to let you preload it. I did order it and its not unlocking anytime soon

• @Inustar said in Persona 5 - (PS4/PS3):

@SabotageTheTruth Yeah, I watched the IGN review and they mentioned no negatives and it scored a 9.7. That's a great score, to be sure, but it does bug me that they gave BotW a 10, when honestly that review mentioned some small negatives. I like review sites to have more consistency, I guess. I don't mind lower scores, like Edge giving it that 8, cause that is an amazing score. I just want it to be fair, even when compared to other games.

While I haven't played either game and so can't speak about if both/either "deserves" a 10, to just address this point: a 10 is not "perfect." I think its a very bad idea/misconception/whatever that a 10 is perfect, and a game is "docked points" for flaws. The number simply represents a recommendation level, about how much "you have to play this game," not an objective, technical measure of how well a game functions.

• @Galaxy40k yeah, I do get that it's a recommendation as well. My main problem is just consistency between the reviews. Honestly I just dislike giving P5 a 9.7. It seems like you're trying to not give it a 10.

• @Galaxy40k Of course, nothing is perfect. @Inustar pretty much hit on my sentiments - if you love the game so much and have nothing negative to say, why not just grant that extra .3? A game from a franchise known for excellent dungeon design launches with bland dungeons, receives an extraordinary amount of 10s, and those who score it lower (like a 7) get DDoS'ed from the fan base. It's a very strange situation, so I figured I'd point it out, still not feeling quite right about it.

Either way, if it received a 0 from every publication, I still wouldn't be able to pump the brakes on this hype train.

• tuesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cant wait hopefully i finish the ds3 expansion first.

• So on the downside ME Andromeda wasn't as good as I wanted it to be and I haven't really felt like playing it in days.

On the upside though, I now don't have to feel bad about dropping it on Tuesday for P5.

• When your local Gamestop closes at 9:30 on Monday (and are indeed releasing it at 9) and you don't get out of work until 10. Monday night is gonna be a rough one.

• I'm insanely excited to play. I'm currently procrastonating on my LAST essay of university and I can't wait to graduate and beat this, but after some of the reviews and the fact I'm still only 27 hours into P4:G, I'm thinking I may grab Nier Automata first just as a palate cleanser before joining in on the hype train.

The aesthetic of Persona 5 is amazing but some of those textures in some review footage looks whack. Then it also seems like it isn't much of a drastic change from P4, which is fine, but I'm getting really tired of the in-between major story points stuff like hanging out and doing the same dungeons, etc. No review has fully addressed whether these sections are still a drag but Idk if I can punch through P4 then do it all over again right away in P5. Like the dialogue in non-mainline story such as the friendship scenes can be so fact of the matter that I think I need a break before P5.

Either way, I'm very excited. I may get more excited once I finish these damn assignments and graduate and be free to play games like I did back in middle school lol