Persona 5 (PS4/PS3)

• @TokyoSlim Yeah, I thought it might just be one person, but every single voice actor says it wrong. At least one person would have had to know the correct pronunciation, and we're instead told to say it wrong.
    It's not enough to destroy the game, of course, but it's bizarre.

• Just more reason to play with JP dub :P

• @Inustar yeah apparently per one of the voice actors, the pronunciation was specifically requested by Atlus JP for some reason.

"Say Sakamoto, but like Terry Bradshaw would say it"

@Musou-Tensei see above. .. creators intent, man! Lololol

• Just finished the first real boss (which I'm sure those playing can already guess who it is) but again, it's such a marked improvement over P4. The only thing that surprised me was it was fairly easy while most of the regular enemies have given good pushback in Hard. I'd recommend having Media before running in though because... why not? Full party heals all the way.

• @SabotageTheTruth yeah, I had no problem with the boss but got killed a few times by normal badies, and I was playing on normal. Though while I love these, I am not an optimal player.

• Youtube Video

I definitely didn't stay in the airsoft shop for over 10 minutes dancing to this and gazing at the menus, nope.

• @SabotageTheTruth I really love that track, especially how creepy it starts.

• It's a little unfortunate how Persona 5 arrived in the west just in time for all of its convenience and quality of life improvements for the turn-based JRPG genre to be behind the curve of the Switch's one really big convenience. I mean obviously this game could run on Switch. I'm not taking a magnifying glass to the textures or bemoaning the loading times here, but it's a PS3 game that could load faster on PS4 if it had been optimized before. Yes, exclusives and so forth, but I own both of these platforms and is obviously better suited to one than the other, as Persona 4 and Sony's own handheld system has proven.

In general, after completing Zelda and starting this it's a little disheartening that games are so seemingly cash strapped that they can't do both high quality graphics / gameplay and writing / characters. God knows open world games have been downright unwilling to have half-decent plots over the span of their existance.

But obviously I am liking the game as a series outsider, and Persona 5 would be great even if it was only a kick in the teeth to and circles run around all of the open world AAA's 'stories.' You could find some niggles in the tutorial, anti-adult, and dungeon boss lines if you're a boorish and pedantic person, but by and large this plot offers so much more The Witcher 3's low-fantasy wild goose chase that people are always excusing with 'but they have characterization if you've read the books.'

Obviously Persona 5 clears that pathetically low bar of being a self-contained work that develops its characters within its own extent. IMO the second chapter is a bit of a step down from the first, but at this point I have ever confidence that the game will continue to deliver on quality character scenes and twists, for it has already given more than an open world game would ever be willing to.

• Any expectations that Person 5 was going to be some outrageously well made and polished JRPG that would simply blow away and win over new audiences due to its awesomeness totally gives up the ghost within the first few hours. Maybe Stockholm syndrome sets in some time later but don't count on that to impress quickly. If you like Persona 4 you will probably like Persona 5. That's it, that's all. This is merely the next Persona game and nothing more. Expect hours upon hours of mildly interesting anime strapped to your home console.

I will be blunt and unrelenting: the story setup is absolute trash. The main character is given this bizarre and unsubstantiated -criminal history- that is totally incongruent with anything else about his character, situation or context. Even the subsequent attempts to deliver exposition with some scene setting are absurd. For example, the character is treated like an absolute degenerate in a sequence of profoundly disturbing and abusive scenes relating the school faculty to his caretaker, who is presented as some kind of sleazy low level pimp or money launderer, yet ironically disturbed by some obnoxiously contrived disciplinary situations-- i.e the character being late for class. Even as the main game scenario gets more complicated, the quality of writing struggles to elevate the mute and uninteresting protagonist beyond the annoying and ridiculous minor characters.

The narrative contract between author and reader is thus established in situ: please endure an exceedingly long period of time where we will draw out annoying and superficially constructed archetypes through the most mundane of interactions possible. Everything that succeeds this mess is unfortunate at best; and at worst, sadly reminiscent of the lamest anime you could ever imagine. Maybe it gets better eventually, but the extent of my 6+ hours experience is a complete write off. Truly, only the diehards will ever know.

But he's a mysteriously handsome and demur transfer student so anything can happen!

Say, maybe this all appeals to your sensibilities? Well, that sure is great. You probably already watch or buy into everything else that the anime/JRPG industry could ever hope to sell you. And spoiler nobody else gives a single crap. This probably turns normal audiences further away than the new Ghost in the Shell or anything else since they first watched Ninja Scroll in 1995. Within the niche of complicit and uncritical enthusiasts the milk will be lapped, adored and dogmatised as cultural gospel. Outside the fandom, we call this "crap".

Adding to that is this totally bloated non-controversy about its streaming limitations. What a complete joke. Guidelines that Atlus released really only present one hard cut line-- an in game date exceeding 3 months in at month/day, 7/7-- literally dozens of hours in, and presumably major plot points abound. For context, my experience lasted over five hours and went through only 3-4 days. Other than that they hint at "please don't spoil it" recommendations [read, not enforcing] 90 minute segments. The 'so called' ham handed approach is ironically overshadowed by the hyperbolic pitch forked moron squad initiated by the likes of Jim Sterling. The faux outrage that ensued is so pathetic I can hardly even face palm in response. Streaming has become the next wave of fandom entitlement that carries with it the fallacious axiom that the magic of mass exposure will simply result in higher revenues because of social media impressions.

Persona 5: 3/5 stars

• It's probably not as OK to like anime as you want to believe
    • Could not muster past ~5 hours
      I'd rather be playing Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt (GB)

• Well, damn. Tell us what you really think.

• @Silverogre Sure, I'll bite and start tackling some of these statements, while avoiding some of the overly negative ones because y'know, love and respect.

@Silverogre said in Persona 5 - (PS4/PS3):

Any expectations that Person 5 was going to be some outrageously well made and polished JRPG that would simply blow away and win over new audiences due to its awesomeness totally gives up the ghost within the first few hours.

I've already talked to several people who have jumped in as their very first Persona game and all the responses I've gotten are similar, "WOAH, this is amazing! Are the rest like this?" It's an excellent jumping in point for newcomers as it mixes in elements from all entries of the series, has the quickest start, and does an admirable job of disguising its extended tutorial.

I will be blunt and unrelenting: the story setup is absolute trash. The main character is given this bizarre and unsubstantiated -criminal history- that is totally incongruent with anything else about his character, situation or context.

The setup alludes to the fact that those in power hold a grip on society, often times get away with their crimes, and can easily shift the blame to others. You could argue that's a cliche setup (which it isn't as far as video games are concerned) and you could also easily not care for it, but trash? That's a huge stretch.

the quality of writing struggles to elevate the mute and uninteresting protagonist

Yeah, uh, he's not mute. All those dialogue options you're given? Those represent the character talking. He doesn't have a lot of voiceover work, that is true.. but his v/o does exist in the game as well.

Persona 5: 3/5 stars

Why give a rating to something you've maybe experienced 2% of? You're still deep in tutorial land at this point.

It's probably not as OK to like anime as you want to believe

Reading through your comment, this is basically where a lot of the complaints come from. You seemingly dislike anime and those that enjoy it because.... reasons. Your comment reads as though these people are lesser than you because of the entertainment they choose to consume which is off-putting to say the least. For example, I've always disliked the Harry Potter franchise for various reasons but my lack of enjoyment doesn't mean the series is crap - it just isn't for me. A very simple but important distinction.

In the end, it's just a game - one you didn't enjoy. You'll always have Pugsley's Scavenger Hunt so there's something to look forward to. :)

• I feel like I just read a Zero Punctuation video.

Silent protagonists being shit aside — my actual favorite series is 3D Zelda if ya hadn't guessed — I think the background info we get for Joker is really affecting.

If a story is drawing direct parallels to the protagonist's own experience within the first few hours, it's doing something right. Sue me for white knighting or SJWing or whatever the Nazis are calling it these days, but it's probably the most emotionally invested in the start of a plot I've been since I joined eighth gen in 2014. One can decry 'anime' all they want, I don't see The Witcher 3 or Uncharted taking such a tactful writer's hand to abuse. Some of those scenes, my jaw dropped at how well they nailed unspoken concern with only character portraits and intermittently voiced dialogue.

• Youtube Video

Once Layer Cake took my heart, I've been slowly sinking into the jams more. As whole, the soundtrack usually sounds more subdued than some of the funkier entries from 3 and 4 but thematically, this feels more appropriate.

Also, out of curiosity, what did everyone name their main character and group of phantom thieves?

I named my fella Shinji Aragaki. Never forget. Went with Shadowplay for the group, channeling the memory of Joy Division.

• @SabotageTheTruth "Tokyo Slim"

I didn't feel like coming up with a name. So now my head canon protagonist is also named after a recycling and trash sorting initiative. Just like his daddy!

• @TokyoSlim The name so smooth, you could smoke it.

• I'm halfway through the first dungeon. I thought i was hosed when I died last night, but apparently you can choose to go back to your last safe room, which isn't too far away. That's nice!

I only got 10 days left. Am I going to have to grind at all in dungeons, or can I just more or less keep progressing forward?

• @TokyoSlim Even on hard, I didn't grind in the dungeon until I was preparing for the boss because I expected it to be nasty. You should be just fine progressing normally, although I recommend fusing a Persona with melee resistance as soon as possible (Obariyon and Slime are decent choices early on). Once I entered Mementos though, I went full Jones and just started grinding a lot, not out of necessity, just for fun.

I'm actually a little bummed I didn't realize there was a 'Merciless' difficulty setting to download and play until recently. Guess I'll save that for new game plus.

• I knew this was going to happen, played for a bit before working a overnight shift, got home and played nonstop...Till I realized I have work in a hour....Goodbye sleep

• @SabotageTheTruth said in Persona 5 - (PS4/PS3):

Obariyon and Slime

I uh... don't think I'm high enough level to fuse those yet. I'm at 8 right now.

• @TokyoSlim i believe slime is 7 maybe