Retro Gems

• This year, I've focused much more on completing older games as opposed to going out and purchasing new releases. I figured I may as well dive in deeper and look at forgotten relics from the 8-64 bit era and figured you all would be able to help out with suggestions!

Feel free to list your favorites that everyone should play but maybe hasn't. Should be simple enough, show me your moves!

• That's quite a request, do you have a backloggery where one can see hwat you've played?
    My favorite N64 game and infact game of all time is Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, and its sequel, called Goemon's Great Adventure in the US is pretty good too.

On NES one of my favorite games is The Guardian Legend.

• @Musou-Tensei I have one (that I haven't updated with anything retro, woops) but I moreso meant for this to be a generalized thread, not just suggestions to appease me.

Besides a KYB thread, never even heard of The Guardian Legend, so that's what I'm looking for, nice!

• I'll speak to NES and Arcade. Also seconding The Guardian Legend, that's a good one.

Journey to Silius
    Bucky O'Hare
    Gun-Nac
    Mr. Gimmick
    Digital Devil Story Megami Tensei II
    Fire 'n Ice
    StarTropics
    Sweet Home
    Mother

The Outfoxies
    Mystical Warriors
    Boogie Wings
    Dead Connection
    The Cliffhanger: Edward Randy
    In the Hunt
    Rayforce
    Lucky & Wild
    The First Funky Fighter
    Windjammers
    Violent Storm
    G-Darius
    Battle Garegga
    Denjin Makai II
    Dolphin Blue
    Elevator Action Returns

• I've been doing something similar with old RPG's, right now I'm playing through the fan translated Shining Force 3 scenarios on the Sega Saturn. If RPG's are your thing, I recommend:

Grandia
    Lunar: The Silver Star
    Lunar 2: Eternal Blue
    Skies of Arcadia
    Shining Force II
    Phantasy Star IV

If you like cyberpunk adventure games, then Snatcher, Policenauts, Rise of the Dragon, and Blade Runner are all excellent.

• @dafoomie RPGs are usually my genre of choice. Grandia and the Lunar series are excellent (I've really been wanting to replay through Lunar lately) although Shining Force has somehow slipped out of my grasp. It's a shame Saturn shtuff is usually expensive.

• @SabotageTheTruth The entire Saturn library could be considered a forgotten relic, too many gems to list but like you said, very expensive. The PS1 has some more attainable forgotten RPGs like Thousand Arms, Hoshigami, Kartia, Koudelka, Front Mission 3, etc.

Shining Force is top tier if you like SRPG's. Shadowrun on the Genesis is interesting, open world action RPG, hasn't aged all that well but there's a lot there. Blood played through some of Phantasy Star the other day, probably the best 8-bit RPG.

If you've only played through Lunar on PSX it's worth playing on Sega CD for the differences and the better music, but again, expensive.

• @dafoomie Saturn is my favorite console but sadly, I don't have the console anymore - hopefully I'll rectify that in the future.

Whew, Koudelka! That later turned into the Shadow Hearts series, which is super excellent.

I've played bits of Shadowrun on SNES, but never got super far. I seem to remember a bomb being placed inside me? Fuzzy memories surrounding that one.

• If you have a Saturn and ~$100 to blow, Burning Rangers is worth trying. Definition of Swimming in 7's.

As long as you're cool with the fact that you aren't going to beat it, and probably won't even get that far in it, you've gotta give Umihara Kawase a try. Such a cool rope-swinging game. If you dig it I'd also highly recommend Sayonara Umihara Kawase, though that's much more recent.

A few other cool more obscure older games:
    Pulseman
    Magical Drop 3
    Keio Flying Squadron
    Little Nemo: The Dream Master (also check out the movie it's based on because it's 10/10)

• @SabotageTheTruth Shadowrun on Genesis and SNES were different games but both good in their own way.

Not technically an RPG but Sid Meier's Pirates! is always good for a fun hour or two.

• dont know if you consider them retro or not but the atelier iris series on ps2 are really good 2d jrpgs

• Global Moderator

Interesting! I am like just old enough to have grown up with NES and SNES.

I would STRONGLY recommend Journey to Silius. (its one of my fav games on the NES).

Teenage mutant ninja turtles
    Grandia
    Duck Tales
    Sim City
    Super Star Wars
    Wing commander

These game are a mix of SNES and NES games, I haven't put in the obvious games i.e super Mario and Zelda, but these are games everyone at least should give a try!

• Definitely check out Shining Force 1,2 and 3 scenarios 1-3
    If you already played and love the shining games, check out FEDA: Emblem of Justice for SNES, it's basically another shining force game by staff that left SEGA

I'd also like to second everyone saying to try the Lunar and Grandia games, they really are true classics and I wish games like that were made nowadays

One other game I'd love more people to try is Langrisser 2 for megadrive, it's only available in english vvia a fan translation but it's a genuinely excellent overlooked game