How are people comfortable paying full price for games?

• This is an honest question. I simply cannot fathom paying roughly $75 for a new console game. To the best of my memory, I only remember spending full price on Catherine several years ago just after it was released. Another related question, how do people justify pre-orders? The case of AssCreedUnity and the Battlefield games comes to mind, what if the game turns out to be terrible? What then? There goes $75 and a lot of frustration.

But at the same time I can't really fathom someone spending over $1000 dollars on card packs in Hearthstone in the hopes of building a complete cosmetically gold card collection..

For me: there are of course a few games that I would LOVE to play as soon as possible. Namely, Persona5 and FF7 Remake. FF7 pretty much solidified my decision to buy a PS4.. eventually. But i'm not in a rush to play them and would feel fine waiting another year or so to play the games.

And that's true for a lot of games. It's just really confusing when I see people complaining about their pre-orders, or games not working, when it was their decision to spend their money, full price on a game that isn't out yet. Or get a game on impulse first day and complain about it not being worth it. Like... it was your money. I don't get it. You could have waited for more information about the product to make a more educated spending decision, but no.

I don't buy the "well I paid money for this so I expect it to work to my full expectations" argument, because that's the problem, those are your expectations, and you made a decision based on those expectations and the limited amount of info. available, to SPEND your money on it anyways. There is NO contract involved b/w the customer and game developer, in spending money at the store to buy a game. If it works to your expectations, GREAT! You can trust this developer/supplier more in the future, when you have to make another purchasing decision from them! If it doesn't work to your expectations, too bad! But you still have information on the developer to inform your future purchasing decisions, namely.. the next time you think of purchasing something from them you have reason to doubt that they will live up to your expectations!

Just like how if you go to a restaurant and receive bad service, you know not to eat there anymore, and not buy their food.

For me, in terms of games, this means Capcom. screw you capcom. How many iterations of SF4? Yeah I feel kind of bad about spending X amount of dollars on different versions of SF4, even if I didn't buy any of the DLC and skipped over AE (I bought Vanilla, Super and Ultra). But ugh, thinking about what they might do with SF5, just makes me say "nope, I know how you work Capcom, based on past purchasing experience, and the level of enjoyment I got from them relative to money and time spent in it was not really worth it, so no thank you on SF5". BUT of course like anything in life, I'm open to being surprised, but I'll need some convincing, more information and good arguments to persuade me that anything Capcom puts out in the future is worth investing in.

Conclusion: Ugh, man I feel like that sort of turned into a rant. But a lot of the times it just feels like people are being really irrational when it comes to talking about games. But we here at EA are rational people... right?

Do people not give much thought when pre-ordering or paying full price for a game? Or is it just the media/forums that makes it seem like each individual spends lots of money on games, when in reality most individuals, like myself, only pay full price for a game once a year or something? Sort of like how the complainers are heard the most, but we never know about the 'average' spender?

Anyways that was fun to get some of these thoughts out. Thank you for reading full, if you did. Also please leave comments, would love to hear different perspectives, or cases. Like how often have you paid full price/pre-ordered a game? For me I never pre-order, and pay full price game maybe once a year or something. :o

• I was kinda poor when I grew up which meant I had to be pretty money smart and not wasteful. So now when I have a job I don't spend any money unless it's something I really want or need. I also look up the places I can get good deals on stuff, etc.
    This means I tend to always have a lot of money over by the end of the month, some of this I spend on select games I do some research on (to basically make educated purchases).

So far this year I've gotten Gravity Rush 2, Hitman Season 1, Torment Tides of Numenera, Horizon Zero Dawn, Nioh. This amounts to roughly 290€ over the span of about 2 months, which is 145€ each month (which has been a pretty intense set of months in terms of games) which isn't really that bad if you have a job.

• Global Moderator

@Autism

This is an honest question. I simply cannot fathom paying roughly $75 for a new console game. To the best of my memory, I only remember spending full price on Catherine several years ago just after it was released. Another related question, how do people justify pre-orders? The case of AssCreedUnity and the Battlefield games comes to mind, what if the game turns out to be terrible? What then? There goes $75 and a lot of frustration.

Well firstly, games are $60 at retail. Now that's out of the way, it's the same as anything, if you have enough disposable income and you enjoy games, why wouldn't you buy it? The same applies to any form of entertainment. Why go to the cinema to see a new movie when I can just wait for it to hit neflix etc. It's totally up to the person's value on that product.

As for Preorders, the main reason I've preordered a game is because of a better price and getting the game early (midnight or next morning, that kind of thing). As you said yourself with history I know if I'll enjoy a game based on previous games, buzz and reviews so when Bloodborne is fantastic, I know I'll like Dark Souls 3.

For me: there are of course a few games that I would LOVE to play as soon as possible. Namely, Persona5 and FF7 Remake. FF7 pretty much solidified my decision to buy a PS4.. eventually. But i'm not in a rush to play them and would feel fine waiting another year or so to play the games.

Here is clearly where your value lies while other people like to play new things as soon as possible.

Conclusion: Ugh, man I feel like that sort of turned into a rant. But a lot of the times it just feels like people are being really irrational when it comes to talking about games. But we here at GB are rational people... right?

You're in the EZA forums! :)

Do people not give much thought when pre-ordering or paying full price for a game? Or is it just the media/forums that makes it seem like each individual spends lots of money on games, when in reality most individuals, like myself, only pay full price for a game once a year or something? Sort of like how the complainers are heard the most, but we never know about the 'average' spender?

Honestly, I think you're reading too much into what consumers say. Anywhere a random person is able to voice their opinion will generally have a load of negativity. The vast majority of people probably do buy new games and are happy with their purchase. I know a lot of people who buy a good few new games every year and even if they didn't love the game as much as expected, they don't regret purchasing it.

Also, you'll just find a lot of the angry comments come from people who don't even purchase the product so that just adds to it.

• I preorder through Amazon and pay like $47 for a new game. I also don't generally buy Assassin's Creed and Battlefield games, or Bethesda games new.

• I play games nowadays mostly on PC, and most of the time I buy them when they are on sale. Because I can wait. Might be patience, or it is just that I have limited time and always enough things to play, watch or whatever. So I also pay full price not very often. Last game was No Man´s Sky – I don´t regret it, simply because I made a conscious decision to buy it. :)
    However, back to the topic. (And this remark is more in general and shouldn’t be taken personal.)
    It is pissing me of when people complain about the price of video games. For me it isn´t about the fact that game development is time consuming and expansive. No, just one simple thing: Video games are a luxury. If you can´t afford it than play or buy something else or go with free to play stuff. It is like the difference between a new Ferrari and a 10years old used Citroen. Not quite because you might actually need a car for your job. Complaining about how expansive food or your rent is, that is okay, complaining about something you actually don`t need maybe not so much.
    This of course also carries in the discussion of how much playtime a game provides for its price but even that is something you have to decide for yourself. ... And never preorder games!

• I pay $38 new. The Visa Checkout $25 off $100 plus Gamer's Club Unlocked 20% basically made it so that I pre-ordered Xenoblade, Mario Odyssey, Red Dead 2, Death Stranding, and others for $38 and some change. Even without the Visa promotion, you should never have to pay more than $47.99 for a game with Gamers Club Unlocked.

Hell, Target has a buy 2 get 1 free sale right now. Use a Target Red Card and get an addition 5% off. Averages $37.99 a game. Anyone buying games for $60 might as well be burning their money for light.

• Echo what tokeeffe and TokyoSlim said. I do my research and only buy the games at full price that I know I will like. I can't say I've ever regretted buying a game. I might have not enjoyed a game and quit but those would be a PS+ or cheap used game I got for the hell of it, not a new game. I always buy my new games from Amazon at $47, and since I love games I never feel bad about spending the money.

• @TokyoSlim said in How are people comfortable paying full price for games?:

I preorder through Amazon and pay like $47 for a new game.

@tokeeffe9 said in How are people comfortable paying full price for games?:

Well firstly, games are $60 at retail.

Must be nice. he is not wrong though. Games are $79.99 in Canada at retail.

When the Canadian dollar was more on par with the US, games were 59.99. However since then everything increased in price around 2014 here. I dont get payed more, things just cost more. So this definately factored into my spending on games. I now wait for sales which was something i never use to do. When there is several games to choose, i now have to narrow down my choices more carefully.

The only reason i preorder is because amazon sells games cheaper with prime if you preorder. Otherwise i never preorder. After playing so many games i usually know which ones to avoid or can get right away. The only case where getting a game to soon was a concern was no man sky, and that was something i saw coming but chose to anyways because it was unique.

I do actually feel that gamers are a bit reckless with spending money on games and dlc passes. Thats obvious enough by all the bitching you see on forums and people commenting on the 100's of games people backlog on their steam library because they spend money before they even have time to play them. all done in a moment in hopes they dont get left behind. However, i dont' know if thats a common thing among the whole gaming population or just gaming forums.

• Global Moderator

@CGamor7 I was only using the dollar as an example. I've had to pay for games in europe and Australia where games are more expensive. I was just pointing out that new games are really $75 USD at launch and even if we do take conversion rate into account right now, 80 CAD is 60 USD.

• People probably have more disposable incomes than you and don't feel like waiting so, they don't. I'm cheap too but i saw no reason to wait for the new Zelda for exemple since Nintendo games don't really drop in price anyway and i know i'm getting my moneys worth easily.

As for pre-orders, i do it when i get a perk. I got Final Fantasy XV, Battlefield 1, Resident Evil 7 and the new South Park game all at 50$ each with a pre-order and i'm in Canada where those games are 80$ each.

True, people should take more responsibility for their actions instead of whining about companies all the time, i have said this multiple times. People loved trashing Might No9 (and No Man Sky) and playing the blame game accusing everyone but alot of those people kickstarted it aka they handed their money to a game that wasnt made yet. Instead of making a smart purchase decision and waiting for the game to come out before parting with your money you made the decision to give it away based on trust. I don't feel sorry for you, you were being an idiot.

You gotta be smart about it, i don't mind buying Nintendo games or Persona 5 or South Park or Red Dead Redemption 2 on day 1 because to me it's extremly clear what i'm gonna get and i see little to no risk. Even with Final Fantasy XV i knew i probably was not gonna like it but Final Fantasy means alot to me and i wanted to play it when it came out so i did. As expected i did not like it at all but it was my own decision. I will also avoid buying most Ubisoft games on release because i know that they overstock stores with them and they drop in price super fast. (South Park is an exception of course) Point is i'm always suprised to see so many gamers who don't even seem to know who they are and what they like and get surprised everytime they buy something and complain about being screwed. I don't get that.

• I just don't buy that many new games in general. At least not full priced ones. This January was front loaded with Gravity Rush 2, Yakuza 0 and Tales of Berseria (and For Honor not much longer afterward) but those are probably the only brand new, $60 games I'm gonna get in 2017. Last year the only ones I remember getting were Overwatch and Estival Versus. I mostly buy older stuff or cheaper releases (ex. I picked up Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 a month or so ago and the only other game I have preordered is Puyo Puyo Tetris which is $30 I think.)

Most games I preorder are things I know I'll have a hard time coming across in the future, so basically more niche japanese games really. Other than that it's just stuff I know I'm gonna want to play day one like For Honor (which absolutely isn't worth $60 but I mean, it's fun and I'm still playing it so I don't really regret it or anything.)

• @CGamor7 said in How are people comfortable paying full price for games?:

Must be nice. he is not wrong though. Games are $79.99 in Canada at retail.

I literally answered his question of how comfortable I am paying full retail for games, not bragging . I'm not comfortable paying full retail price for new games, I get new games for less than retail. I assume there's similar options in Canada, whether via Prime or credit card deals, or retail discounts.

• I'm not comfortable paying full price. Others are, and that's simply how they choose to spend their money.

When I had no bills to pay and collected checks/money from a few sources. I had a ton of money to spend on games. And since gaming was how I spend most of my free time. I needed to buy games closer to release to fit into my schedule. Nowadays I spent a lot of time doing adult things, and trying to help people out with their personal challenges. So my gaming time has drastically dropped. And Destiny PvP multiplayer dominates my gaming time. So Destiny 2 is probably the only game I'll be comfortable buying day one. As Destiny is pretty much the only thing I play nowadays.

• Easy.

As soon as I'm done with my full-priced console game I trade it in a week or two later and get 3/4 back of what I paid for it.

For example, bought Nioh for £40 back on release in February, trading it in on Wednesday for £32 as I've almost finished it.

So the game has in effect only cost me £8 :)

For PC games they're cheaper anyway, and I buy of Key sellers like CDKeys (never G2A), so a £40 RRP PC title on Steam goes down to £20-£32 at the most.

• I'm comfortable to pay up to 60€ (ca. $64) for a game but in my country some go up to 70€ (ca. $74), that's why I don't have Zelda yet as it took me a while to find one for below 60€ on friday, which is being shipped now, and that's why I don't have Nioh yet because so far I couldn't find one for below 60€. Nier on the other hand I have preordered for 60€ for a while now.
    70€ I would only pay for my most hyped games, like a Bayonetta 3 or Trails of Cold Steel 3 if I had to.

As for why I pre-order: I know my tastes pretty well, and I don't remember anymore when a pre-order actually disappointed me.

• @TokyoSlim sorry, I'm confused. I just meant, "must be nice" to your comment. Wasn't inferring anything. I wish game prices were cheaper here again. The only options I've seen for cheaper games at release is Amazon prime. But unless you make use of prime it's not worth it. Or you can trade in to get cheaper prices. I just buy less games now. But I do like buying new to support the devs.

• Maybe it's because I mainly play JRPGs and similar types of games but I think videogames are some of the best value for money entertainment. I have no issues with paying 60 for a game or even 100+ for a LE because I'm easily getting 50-100, maybe even a few hundred hours of entertainment out of it.

• I grew up paying OVER $60 for games back in the NES/SNES days, by comparison now there's deals all the time, discounts for memberships like amazon prime, and best buy.

I'm not all that worried about it, rather than spending money on a lot of things other people dump money into like smoking, vapes, cars, drinking, sports game tickets, fast food every day, starbucks, etc, I dump my money into one source when I have expendable income and I make sure to budget accordingly when something I really want comes out.

Every hobby is expensive, it's just a matter of how much YOU are into it and how much money is too much for you.

Now the thing I take offense to is digital games still costing the same as physical, after all these years and lies companies have told us we should've come to a point where this shouldn't be the case anymore, but it still is. THAT pisses me off to no end.

No added production cost for digital, no copies to print, no potential for people to resell it. And yet they can't pass any savings off onto us? Screw that.

• After last year I'm not buying games at launch. I bought many games at launch with fill price just to be dropped a month later. I'm sorry publishers/developers but I won't buy games at launch unless are games I have a lot of faith on or developers/franchises I love, like Bioware.

I plan to buy the following games but won't pay more than $40 for them: Halo Wars 2 (is currently 40 con CDkeys but I'll wait), Zelda, Horizon ZD, Nier and (with the pain of my heart) Numenera (I blame Zelda, you weren't supposed to be that good).

• First of all, you are asking a lot of questions.
    I play only on PC and full price game are always 60 here (at least I think so). Also there are many legitimate (and more shady ones from which I too have bought games before. No shame.) sites and sellers that offer games for cheaper. This applies for preorders especially. Add to that, there are many, MANY special sells, discounts and bundles happening ALL the time. I'm completely ok with buying a full priced game on day one if I'm interested/hyped. So far I have never been disappointed (Even with no man's sky. I paid 60$ and I still have a blast. Around 150 hours into it.) So did you get a PS4 ? They had indeed great Q1 this year. For me, I haven't bought a game on day one since... I think Battlefield 1. Since then I got some on sale and with bundles, but nothing triple A. I don't go into a game with a question "will it meet my expectation?" or "will it be worth its price?". I skipped a lot of games, because I knew that they wouldn't hold my attention or hook me enough to pull me to credits. Most of the games I finish with before one hour passed (Thank Gaben for Steam return policy and Demos. Demos and Betas are best things ever). What I'm trying to say is: don't feel obligated to buy every game, just because it's supposed to be great. You yourself have to be convinced about its quality! Don't live like @BenMoore .
    I have preordered Mass effect, because the exploration trailer convinced me that I will sink many hours into it and I will enjoy it. Same with ESO: Morrowind and Sniper Ghost warrior 3. I'm thinking the same with Prey, but I need to see more. Nier Automata is coming to PC, but I have doubts about it being a good port.
    See what I did there. I have invested into games I'm convinced in. It really is surprising why people aren't wiser about their money, I can't answer that. Human stupidity or something, idk. But yeah...
    TL;DR: investigate the game-> See if it's for you->if it is, GET HYPED-> stay hyped-> play it-> enjoy
    Otherwise don't get it or just wait for a sale or something.

Looks like your connection to Easy Allies Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.